Pollution, the first health fear of Belgians

Only 27% of those polled feared being victims of a criminal act, and only 22% of a terrorist act.

Seventy-six percent of Belgians believe that environmental pollution is the main threat to their health, a survey by the European Statistical Office Eurostat revealed on Tuesday.

Asked last autumn on events likely to harm their health, Belgians placed pollution as their first concern (76% of respondents), ahead of the fear of being injured in a road accident (64%), or the risk of being the victim of a serious illness (60%).

Only 27% of those polled feared being victims of a criminal act, and only 22% of a terrorist act.

At the EU25 level, concerns are ordered in a direction quite similar to Belgium.

Among the main threats to their health, Europeans ranked pollution first (61% of responses), ahead of road accidents (51%), and the probability of being the victim of a serious illness (49%). Crime and terrorism are only considered a threat by 31 and 20% of respondents, respectively.

The study was carried out in September and October among 25.000 people, including a thousand in Belgium alone.

Read also:  Predict the impact of extinctions on ecosystems


source

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *