How to treat the humidity of your walls during a renovation?
Moisture is a major problem with heat loss in a home. what are the solutions?
A) The problem of humidity and its consequences
The source of humidity can be of several kinds:
- rain infiltration directly by driving rain or by defective gutters
- capillary rise through the ground
- infiltration of the walls entered by external water pressure
- etc ...
Consequences of humidity:
- Water is an excellent thermal conductor, a wall that becomes wet simply loses its insulating power.
- The thermal capacity of water is also “excellent”, a wet wall will therefore absorb calories in order to “dry” and therefore be able to absorb even more water and absorb even more energy. You understand the vicious circle!
- Permanent feeling of cold for the inhabitants. Indeed a hydrometry higher than 60-70% gives a permanent feeling of cold since the water contained in the air will “evaporate” in contact with the heat of your skin!
Treating humidity therefore means making significant energy savings afterwards and obtaining thermal comfort may be impossible before!
B) What are the possible solutions?
We had to deal with a similar problem for our own house and we found that the products are multiple on the market.
Prices are also very variable: for the same surface to be treated, a coefficient of 10 is not uncommon!
Professionals are obviously specialized in the treatment of humidity. But the solutions they will offer you will not necessarily be more econological (economical and ecological) ...
So why use an expensive product (whether for your wallet or the environment) when more "simple" and very effective solutions exist?
Obviously, each house has its own personalized solution, however we have chosen one that seems “universal” and undoubtedly the most environmentally friendly: the hydraulic mortar! It is an additive which is added to the traditional mortar and which makes it possible to make a hydraulic mortar for a derisory sum compared to the other treatments of humidity!
An example of such an additive is Super Sikalite which can be found in all the "bricos" for about 5 € per kg allowing to treat up to 150 kg of mortar!