Datacenter of Google Belgium in photos

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Datacenter of Google Belgium in photos

by Christophe » 25/11/11, 16:45

Everything is in the title, here are some photos of the Google datacenter located in Belgium near Mons.

A particularly interesting for thermal econologists: it cools hard!

Suite: http://geeko.lesoir.be/2011/11/25/voici ... reet-view/ (the photos are more interesting than the text)
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 25/11/11, 17:54

Super interesting, just to realize! (because we do not realize the energy aspect of IT when we take in hand a laptop power supply)

At the time of the launch of the project, the press had explained that one of the criteria for choosing the site had been the availability of water. There is a canal right next to it.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/11, 18:07

And this water seems to be used for cooling, seen the water "vapor" in the photos ... (air cooling batteries by misting very probably).

Google has long chosen its data centers according to energy criteria! (it is surely not for the cost of the work that they would have chosen Belgium ...)
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 25/11/11, 18:21

Yep, do you know the price of distribution water in our beautiful country? You might as well filter out that of the channel!

The corner has other advantages:

low employment rate (therefore more flexible and cheaper workforce than at BXL)
proximity to France (same reasons),
proximity to 2 major capitals + Lille.
Employment aid for low-skilled personnel,
cheap industrial land,
competitive building and industrial equipment prices, proximity to motorways,
TGV station connecting Paris, BXL, Cologne, Amsterdam
easy access to Roissy airport (2h), Gosselies (1 / 2h), Brussels (1h when everything is fine ...), Lille Lesquin (1h)

and anyway, the profits will be repatriated to the Cayman Islands : Mrgreen:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
FPLM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by FPLM » 05/01/12, 11:53

It's funny the resemblance between the building and a microchip:
0 x
"If you are not careful, the newspapers will eventually make you hate the oppressed and the oppressors worship. "
Malcolm X
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/01/12, 11:58

Indeed, I had not made the connection ...
0 x
FPLM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by FPLM » 05/01/12, 15:25

On the other hand, in the view of the photo, there is room for 4 wind turbines and room for at least (at sight of pif) 6 to 700 solar panels. What make the data center a building if not energy producer, in any case autonomous or almost (I have no idea of ​​consumption).
But google surely cannot afford it! :x
0 x
"If you are not careful, the newspapers will eventually make you hate the oppressed and the oppressors worship. "

Malcolm X
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/03/13, 16:48

Received by email, some photos of the interior of a Google Datacenter (well I don't know if authentic, if it's really google, but in any case it's a beautiful datacenter ...).

Small visit to a Google datacenter
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/03/13, 12:04

FPLM wrote:
in any case autonomous or almost (I have no idea of ​​the consumption).
:x

ohhhh, i don't think so!

At first glance, one of these coolers is sufficient to "release" the heat of a 250 kW electric cogeneration unit, or about 500 kW thermal to dissipate (let's say that I visited a cogeneration plant with a motor biomethane / 250 kW generator, with a single chiller of the "same order of magnitude"!). So you multiply this power by 24 hours a day and imagine the PV panels next to it ...

Quick search:

Indeed the data processing centers can consume as much electricity as a city of 50 00
0 inhabitants.

due to the explosion of needs, the big data processing centers are physical and cybernetic systems (Cyber-Physical System19,20) which can consume very large quantities of electricity21; According to a report Is your cloud Net? (April 2012), “Some data processing centers consume as much electricity as 250 European households. If the “cloud” were a country, it would rank (in 000) 2012th in the world in terms of electricity demand, and its needs should be multiplied by three by 5. ”

Okay, we're going to have to boycott that too - we're going to stop chatting / forumer / interneter ?????
0 x