joinery replacement

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

joinery replacement

by laurent_caen » 13/05/08, 08:53

Hello

We would like to replace our VIR single glazing with more thermally efficient double glazing; the problem is that since we already started in a room, condensation has settled on the wall because of the lack of ventilation (no CMV in the house).

We therefore considered replacing our single glazing with double glazing with integrated ventilation grille; but in this case, is there always a gain to be hoped for in terms of energy savings or is the gain destroyed by ventilation?

Thank you for your clarifications and sorry if this subject has already been mentioned in another post.
0 x
bpval
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by bpval » 13/05/08, 10:26

Hello

Is it a lack of ventilation
or rather
lack of wall insulation?

Hello
0 x
PIF PAF POUM
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by laurent_caen » 13/05/08, 10:56

Precisely, the excess insulation provided by double glazing compared to single glazing reduces the natural ventilation of the walls (basically, the single glazing was not so tight that the air renewal was very present, same closed windows, which is no longer the case with double glazing, and therefore causing condensation inside).

This is why double glazing with integrated air intake seems to be a reasonable solution, but I then wonder if the thermal benefit of VIR double glazing is not completely destroyed by this air intake.
0 x
bpval
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by bpval » 13/05/08, 11:50

Hello

Are the walls of the room fitted with double glazing insulated ...
And by what wool, polystirene etc ... and thickness.

Hello
0 x
PIF PAF POUM
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by laurent_caen » 13/05/08, 13:35

No, there is no insulation, whether interior or exterior.
0 x
bpval
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by bpval » 13/05/08, 14:36

Hello

The first of the energy saving actions begins with insulation, well before the change in heat production.

The first insulation begins with the roof, or the attic floor.
The second by the facade walls.
The third, possibly, that of the walls facing the ground.

Together with the insulation of the facades, the change from single glazing to double glazing is essential, and the two are complementary.
By double glazing, I mean the frame of the opening and its glazing and, depending on the case, the frame.

The fact of having changed the glazing (and I suppose the frames more airtight) allowed the rise in the air temperature of the room and the creation of a dew point on the uninsulated walls ... mainly in the corners.

The creation of fresh air intake without extractor (therefore without vmc) in a room not properly insulated is at most a worst case.

The existence of the thermal bridge on the façade must be addressed ... by insulating the walls.

Hello
0 x
PIF PAF POUM
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by laurent_caen » 13/05/08, 16:25

Hello

I agree with you, only for the insulation of the facades, it's more a pb ... of money.

In short, I repeat my initial question: is it thermally interesting to replace single glazing with double glazing WITH INTEGRATED VENTILATION or does this ventilation remove the additional insulation caused by double glazing?
0 x
bpval
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by bpval » 14/05/08, 06:41

Hi Laurent

Well let's be pragmatic 8)

Either you spend the cold season with a humid room and all the consequences it brings for the furniture and clothes in the room, plus any mold on the walls,

Either you tinker an air intake to ventilate the room and sanitize it, and you no longer ask yourself the question of a non-economy, because as long as the room is not properly insulated, it is a false problem : Cry:

Have a good day

Hello
0 x
PIF PAF POUM
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 14/05/08, 16:24

: Arrow: Yes, we are all divided between the desire to do better with limited financial means ...

I share the worries of laurent_caen and the analysis of bpval

To analyze the situation, I thought of it.
It is not Cristophe who will contradict me. : Mrgreen:
0 x
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by laurent_caen » 15/05/08, 12:15

Thank you for your answers, we will try to counter as well as possible with the means at hand :D .
0 x