Test Comparison Bulbs Led Luxeon - Compact fluorescent MM

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Test Comparison Bulbs Led Luxeon - Compact fluorescent MM

by Christophe » 04/12/08, 19:47

After a few years of rest, I came out on omnidirectional luxmeter and I just made a little comparative test of average brightness between 3 types of GU10 230V bulbs: Luxeon and Compact fluorescent lamps

a) 3 bulbs compact fluorescent GU10 Megaman 2700 ° K (warm white): 2 * 7W and 1 * 9W = 23W in total
b) 3 bulbs with 1 led Luxeon GU10 1W warm white = 3W in total
c) 3 1 led Luxeon GU10 3W bulbs warm white = 9W in total

Here is the situation

a) photo with the 3 compact fluorescents:

b) ... and with 3 LEDs:

a) Measurements made on a wall lamp fitted with 3 GU10 spots (the orientation obviously remains the same)

a) As the LEDs are all the same despite big improvements still very directive, taking a single point of measurement in the beam would not have been very honest (to the advantage of the LEDs in all cases!). So I placed a little "at random" 9 measurement points. We see 5 on the photo above.

c) I also made sure that all the bulbs were of the same color (warm white) so as not to cheat on the spectral sensitivity of the Luxmeter (we made the remark during other tests).

Results curve (measurements in Lux):

Conclusions and results (to be completed by your reaction / tests / analyzes):

a) The directivity of the LEDs can be clearly seen on this graph:
- on the one hand by the "peak" of points 5 and 6 which correspond to the point on the steps close to the spots (but not in the cone of greater luminosity or for the LEDs, it goes up to more than 400, 200 max for the compact fluorescent).
- on the other hand the hollow of points 1 to 4 compared to compact fluorescents!

b) This remark is even more valid (but not very visible on the curves) for point 9: it is the point furthest from the source (it is in the lower staircase) but which is placed in alignment spots. The brightness is better even for 1W LED bulbs!

c) The average brightness gives a good idea of ​​the overall result: with 1W it still lacks a bit of light: you should not ask too much of 3W of consumption anyway! And the 1W bulbs are made more for ambiances / light point / toilet than for real lighting.

d) I think that if I had done a test with 12W of Luxeon (3 * 4W), in average value we would have been very close to the compact fluorescent of 23W.

We can say without exaggerating that:

a) new generation led bulbs, we have halved consumption compared to compact fluorescent lamps

b) we have now an interesting light rendering in warm white (very close to the color of halogens or fluorescent 2700 ° K) which has nothing to do with the yellowish greenish of the first LED models in warm white.

c) Due to their directivity their use is still reserved for use in spotlights (mr16, GU10 ...) such as for example: ceiling lights, bathroom mirrors ... etc etc.

d) The (instantaneous) speed of lighting is also obviously to the advantage of Luxeons. So one possible trick is to make hybrid lights with 1 or 2 led bulbs and the rest in compact fluorescent

2nd series of tests a few days later:

I have just redone a measurement series to confirm (or invalidate) the first series. I took different measurement points and I turned the orientation of the 1 spots a little differently.

The results are rather consistent with the 1st series (there are always quite incomprehensible "peaks" and "troughs" :D:

I did some averages and divisions by taking as reference (index 100) the compact fluorescents and by supposing that the powers indicated are the real powers consumed (I would check that later):

Conclusion:

It appears that the best light output (lux) / consumption (watt) is, by far, that of 1 W LEDs.

Thus, the 3 Luxeon 1W bulbs have an energy efficiency (Lux / Watt) 3,69 times greater than Megaman compact fluorescent lamps and the 3W Luxeons bulbs 2,09 times greater efficiency. Provided that the 1W and 3W are the actual consumption (very likely).

It's funny because with compact fluorescents it's the opposite: the more powerful the compact fluorescent, the better its Lux / Watt performance. At least that's what we saw during the measurements in 2006: https://www.econologie.com/forums/ampoules-f ... t2124.html
Last edited by Christophe the 13 / 02 / 15, 13: 53, 5 edited once.
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 04/12/08, 21:31

Recently I bought a last generation "sirius" given as equivalent to a 45w filament bulb.

the only 2 measurements I have made have shown that it is a little higher than a 40W (only value I had on hand) and this for a consumption of 5w at the start which drops to 4.5W when it is hot .

In short bluish when we knew the previous version and even more against other pale spots, oh yes, I forgot, it's a hot 7000K color.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/08, 21:35

a) Yes, we are now arriving at the coef. 10 compared to classic.

It sticks with the coef 2 of the compact fluorescents themselves at 5 compared to the classic (5 * 2 = 10)

b) 7000 ° K hot? It's cold mega / white! (I know it's reversed there is an abuse of language)
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 05/12/08, 09:27

Thank you for shedding light on this point ...

0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Corpse Grinder 666
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Corpse Grinder 666 » 05/12/08, 09:38

Great !
thanks for all these tests :D
0 x
Patatrace
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Patatrace » 05/12/08, 20:23

I had not seen this page before buying a Luxeon 3W bulb and a Megaman 9W compact fluorescent lamp. This is in line with the impressions I had while testing this product. I posted the following comment for Luxeon:

Great, package received this morning, here is my opinion:

I bought a GU10 base sold here to make a small assembly to allow me to measure the consumption of this bulb with the Brennenstuhl PM 230 power meter. The device displays 0W00 so I deduce that it consumes less than 4,6 , XNUMX W (minimum measurement possible). First good news.

The advantage with the GU10 base is that the transformer is included in the bulb, so if the bulb is of good quality the loss due to the conversion 220v -_ 12 v is minimal, which can allow later to save on the lamp model that could accommodate it (12v LED bulbs are very sensitive to the manufacturing quality of the transformer integrated into the lamp). Unfortunately, I cannot know if the loss due to the conversion is minimal because the measuring device used for my tests does not drop below 4,6 W. Therefore to be tested by better equipped people.

In terms of lighting I was very surprised because I finally found a lamp that will allow me to light a staircase without having to wait for the preheating of an economical bulb and here the savings will be huge because I goes from 11 W to 3 W.

In my opinion, this bulb could also be used in a small bedside lamp for reading.

In short for now it is a flawless for the use that I want to make. However, I remain skeptical about the 50.000 hours announced although when we observe this bulb we can only be impressed by the great care taken in its manufacture (it practically does not heat)

Last note, I compared it to its "rival" Megaman 9 W in GU10 and compared to the latter, the bulb here does not emit a small crackle during the second necessary to preheat the small tubes of the Megaman. It's a detail but it deserves to be said.

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/12/08, 21:56

Image and thank you for the comment, it's nice to see that we are not so bad in the choice of products we offer!

ps: it's normal that you haven't seen this page, it dates from last night!
0 x
Makno01
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Makno01 » 05/12/08, 22:59

Extremely interesting.
I would like to point out that this is where there are LED bulbs, screw or base.

PS one of the example: I have a little girl who cannot sleep in the dark, so I bought a LED of ..... 1w (announced ok but still)
0 x
Patatrace
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Patatrace » 06/12/08, 21:36

After the Luxeon 3W I tested the Megaman 9W GU10, I posted this comment on the site:

Thanks to the purchase of a GU10 base mounted on a Brennenstuhl PM 230 power meter sold here (like the base), it displays 6,78 W during preheating and a few seconds later it displays 9,04 W of consumption.

Complete ignition after thirty seconds. Subjectively it displays a remarkable luminosity and a cone of lighting visibly almost identical to the halogen it replaces.

It is a detail but I note that it emits a small sizzle during the first second of ignition.

I compared it to the LED bulb 3 W GU10 recently referenced on the site. It lights up a little harder but not much more than that. Given the price difference between the two models I would say that this bulb will find its place in any type of lighting in the house except rooms where it is necessary to have a quick-start bulb where the combination of LED bulbs will easily take over.

A very good product in my opinion, the manufacturing quality is just as remarkable and the transparent plastic gives a very modern style to this bulb.

On the other hand I did not note it in the comment because I was not complete enough in my measurements, but from time to time when I looked at the wattmeter, the consumption goes back under 7W for a few seconds then to 8,70W . I will do a more in-depth test on this, I will give news soon :D

In any case if the consumption varies it probably means that the bulb is well manufactured because capable of managing its consumption of itself to always bring the same brightness without damaging the bulb by an excess of consumption which could make it heat more because I noticed that when fully charged it is hot and it is difficult to leave your fingers on it to remove it from the pellet after the end of the test (either after 5 minutes or after 5 hours).

That said it cools down very quickly, the aluminum body does its job well : Mrgreen:
0 x
Corpse Grinder 666
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Corpse Grinder 666 » 07/12/08, 14:03

GU10 caps (I have 2 1W LEDs (theoretical of course ...)) are great it's also the ones I prefer, too bad there are none for 12V LEDs : Cry:
0 x