Make double glazing or cut an existing frame?

Present your DIY projects, your new technical ideas, your innovations to test or your self-construction work. Because doing it yourself is often more economical and can be more efficient.
Christophe

Make double glazing or cut an existing frame?

by Christophe » 23/02/09, 10:57

We are redoing our greenhouse.

For this, we use the wooden frames that we bought from the neighbors they just changed (economic reuse = less new, less waste ...).

Up to now it has adjusted fairly well but for the last section we have a concern for dimensions. The chassis is too long from 10 to 15 cm.

So I see 2 possibilities:

a) Cut the existing frame, this includes cutting the double glazing (4-16-4): is it possible for an individual? If so, with what risks and what tools? Otherwise do you think a pro can do it? And at what cost? If the seal between the panes is not perfect it does not matter: it is a greenhouse!

b) Make a new custom double glazing frame. I have 2 double glazed windows that Tigrou gave me (see https://www.econologie.com/forums/donne-vitr ... t5267.html ) which could be suitable and wood cuttings from the neighbors' construction site which would adjust quite well.

The b) seems to me much simpler and less risky but the results will be less aesthetic so if the cutting of a double glazing frame is possible in these "reasonable" conditions, I would prefer a).
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 23/02/09, 11:06

: Shock: A double glazed greenhouse?
oops, i didn't know it existed; but yes, why not.
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/02/09, 11:34

Yeah it's a bit of "luxury" and it will look more like a veranda than a greenhouse but as we had the opportunity to recover (at a fairly good price) these frames, we took advantage ... Never did I would have thought to put new double glazing!

The 20-year-old corrugated PVC sheets no longer looked like anything (very yellowed) ... and at the "high" price (ie gold discount brico), the 16 mm polycarbonate sheets would have cost, per m², the same price (30 € per m²) as these second-hand double glazing frames so ... there was no photo!

In French discount stores, the price of 16 mm polycarbonate is divided by about 2 per m².

We will put polycarbonate on the roof in all cases ...

ps: it is a greenhouse stuck to the house, so thermally it is not a bad thing to reduce losses!
Last edited by Christophe the 23 / 02 / 09, 12: 04, 1 edited once.
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 23/02/09, 11:35

Hello,

Xtof I reassure you right away because I went through it!
KEYS NOT to double glazing, this leads you directly to the recycling center and then to the corner store to get new!
The solution of a new tailor-made frame with recuperated double glazing is by far the best.

However, I had a professional carpenter with me but nothing helped. The disassembly went well, but when we wanted to cut the glass that's where it went! However, we had all the professional tools but the spacing joint of the two windows did not agree, the sun had hit him on the top and he made active resistance! (Impossible to take it off properly and the residues have screwed up the glass cutting)

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/02/09, 11:41

Ok that's what I "feared" ... and if even a pro with the right tools can't do it ... it's a waste of time (not to mention the risk of accident!).

So, courageous but not temporary, I choose b)! Thank you Obelix!

ps: what is this mania you have to call me Xtof? It's not that I don't like it, but I would like to know where the initiative comes from?
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 23/02/09, 11:49

what is this mania you have to call me xtof

Do you know what tof means in brusselaire? : Cheesy:
It's tof, it's good, impeccable : Cheesy: : Cheesy: Great
X..it is sometimes ... more naked ...Image
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/02/09, 11:58

: Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy: Image first for the X!

Some info on the PC: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate
0 x
bleusideral
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by bleusideral » 23/03/09, 21:40

Hello
I just discovered this post completely by chance!
so apologize for a month late!
I come to try to help you because I had this experience of cutting a double glazing AND IT WORKS! so can be incredible but true, I can possibly bring the proof in photo if you want
I explain, I wanted to make a solar oven with custom double glazing but I didn't have one, I got a double glazed window frame AND I CUT IT in 2! :
- a diamond cut on each side
- a grinder blow with a fine disc (special stainless steel) on the edge with the joint (not more than 1 mm deep and very gently in small passes)
- delicate tapping with small glazing hammer along the diamond tracing, on each side

one hour of delicate work on a table with foam tablecloth.
once the crack is complete, a knock on the remaining joint and the separation of the stained glass Siamese is done!

but frankly it's sweat all along because really very very delicate! it was my first!
0 x
A gesture more econological econological a gesture and it is the planet that will suffer more!
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 23/03/09, 23:31

Christophe wrote:[...]
ps: what is this mania you have to call me Xtof? [...]
Cross-Tof? : Shock:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/03/09, 00:17

bleusideral wrote:but frankly it's sweat all along because really very very delicate! it was my first!

Ah thank you for the "method" but finally we made the "lopettes" (we did not even try the double glazing and for the simple it was the disaster) after having broken 2 single glazed windows, we chose to stop the damage and make the 2 triangular polycarbonate frames .... Here is one of the 2:

Must say that the dimensions of the glass were quite important ... and cutting into a triangle with an acute angle is really misery ...

The frame below the triangle is also 100% homemade with double glazed recuperation (those of Tigrou elsewhere). The frame is made with wood waste from the neighbor's frame in 60 mm. It is meritorious I think. All that remains is to repaint and it's off for 20 years!
0 x