Isolate vertical walls with an air gap and lathing?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Remundo

Re: Insulate vertical walls with an air gap and lathing?

by Remundo » 24/11/22, 09:12

As much as Pierre Perret? ?

:P
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/22, 09:23

There, I feel! : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/11/22, 10:27

Remundo wrote:the table does not indicate thermal resistances, but thermal CONDUCTANCES.
Elsewhere they put "thermal resistance m²K/W"
Image https://enbau-online.ch/bauphysik/fr/2- ... tionnaire/ And these are non-reflective surfaces.
What should be remembered is that beyond 20 mm, there is no gain in increasing the thickness of the air gap, this is also the case for double glazing
Christophe wrote:Except that Remundo has a 40 mm blade...
So only one air gap, we can't see well on the photos, in this case, refer to the studies of the GS 20
Specialized Group No. 20, made up of professionals representing the different
components of the act of building, considered it necessary to take stock of the state of the
knowledge by updating the information note published in June 2004.
Based on tests carried out in many countries, it is possible to determine how
for other insulation or additional insulation processes, their performance in terms of
work, as well as the sustainability of these performances.
download/file.php?id=26830

In his case, there is only an "unventilated" air space R = 0.53 + R of the thin insulation. To obtain an R of 1.3, it would have been necessary to place the thin insulation between 2 strips of 20.
Attachments
air gap.gif
lame d'air.gif (57.39 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/22, 11:42

The 3 sources give the same figures, they have obviously copied / pasted between them!
As long as we don't have the exact methodology, it's difficult to conclude if not bogus. Already up down what does that mean ??? : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

What insulates in an insulator is the air... Nothing else!

The lambda of air is 0.024 so a still air layer should do much better than any insulation of the same thickness that physically cannot have a lambda less than 0.024 ! (Rockwool, St-Gobain or ISOVER have long teeth...enough to publish some bogus tables : Lol: : Lol: : Lol: )

So at 5 mm, an air gap has a theoretical R of 0.005/0.024 = 0.21...and not 0.11...(if coupled with thin insulation)

I would be surprised if there is a lot of convection in 5 mm...
1 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 24/11/22, 13:37

Subject that I am, it can be useful, and as I still have a room of approximately 25m2 to renovate, know what to put as best as possible, and I think that the budget is not necessarily day and night, and time, I should have....

THE brick is bare, before it is "fibro" plates, with "air blade", but not the rest that would be fine ....

I don't know yet if it will be mocked, big insulation, because 2 exterior walls, or other ....

I have time, I'm waiting for the form to come back a little better, it probably won't be before spring....

I hope this topic doesn't go down the drain...

There is so much to learn about it...
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/22, 14:50

phil59 wrote:I hope this topic doesn't go down the drain...

With a zizi it goes quickly into a lollipop...

0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 24/11/22, 16:36

Anise lollipops? Annie's?

0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/22, 16:46

Are there others? : Mrgreen:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/11/22, 18:43

Personally, in a "previous" life, when I bought an old house built around 1930, I used BA10 plasterboard + 30 to 40mm rock wool.
It may not be the best in terms of insulation, but it's simple to implement (gluing), it allows with a little cutting in the wool to pull ducts to completely upgrade an installation easily, and it makes it easy to find a particularly clean surface.
With a little extra for acoustic attenuation for surfaces on the street.
But hey, there is certainly more efficient, the compromise also being that it adapts to the existing one and that it does not waste too much living space. From 100mm, it can become complicated, except on a blind wall.
Otherwise there is insulation from the outside, but it does not adapt to everything and it is a little less within reach of DIY.
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/11/22, 19:07

Christophe wrote:The 3 sources give the same figures, they have obviously copied / pasted between them!
As long as we don't have the exact methodology, it's difficult to conclude if not bogus. Already up down what does that mean ??? : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:
You have to bring everything to you on a platter... It's noted just above the board
according to EN ISO 6946

Another paper on insulation gives the R as a function of the emissivity of the reflective product on page 38 and examples on page 39... http://www.rt-batiment.fr/IMG/pdf/4-fas ... thodes.pdf

sicetaitsimple wrote: there is insulation from the outside, but it does not adapt to everything and it is a little less within reach of DIY.
That's what I did in 2005 on an uninsulated brick farmhouse, with a lot of unattractive concrete connections.
2 layers of extruded polystyrene covered with larch cladding. I had complicated my life with 140 lag bolts... to redo, I would have removed threaded rods, much easier to skewer the insulating panels and cleats...
1 x