Disinformation: renewables are bankruptcy EDF?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Disinformation: renewable energies bankrupt EDF?

by moinsdewatt » 11/02/17, 13:39

and so in Niger the Chinese exploit the uranium mine of AZELIK.

In three decades, China has become a major economic player in several African countries. The tiny Azelik mine is one of four uranium extraction sites in Niger and the only one to be exploited by Asian power. The journalist Armin Rosen delivers on the Australian site of Business Insider a detailed analysis of this Chinese mining activity in Niger: a presence contested by the local population that derives no economic benefit and complains of the environmental benefits. Azelik seems insignificant for the moment, but it represents one of the elements of independence in terms of civilian nuclear power for China.

https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/decouvr ... res_103968

The Azelik Mining Company (SOMINA) is a joint venture between the Chinese company CNNC and the Nigerian state which operates in the field of mining.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soci%C3%A ... 0%99Azelik

Niger Key Resource Rentals.

https://ngaafricaproject.wikispaces.com ... e+Projects
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 11/02/17, 13:42

moinsdewatt wrote:[
The exact distribution of French imports, however, is not reported by EDF and Areva, which provide fairly comprehensive documents on the origin of these imports. On a global scale, Areva and Kazakh company KazAtomProm are the two largest producers of uranium ahead of the Canadian Cameco. The French group mainly extracts uranium from the Arlit and Akouta mines in Niger and from Tortkuduk to Kazakshtan. He also produces ore in Canada.

"Traditionally" multinationals have a preference for countries with low labor costs and fairly permissive ecological standards ...
Nuclear power weighs very little in the face of oil, but does not prevent it maintains a small world that does not want to see the goose that lays the eggs of gold.
The Chinese obviously follow this logic.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/02/17, 16:41

In the quote from "sciencesetavenir" it is written:
Azelik seems insignificant for the moment, but it represents one of the elements of independence in terms of civilian nuclear power for China.

It is a curious formulation, because one could better speak rather of dependence ... : roll:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/02/17, 00:44

moinsdewatt wrote: Could you quote me a uranium war in these days? : roll:

I finally ... : Mrgreen:

Do you think Holland went to Mali for the sand of the Sahara?

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerre_du_Mali

France

France intervenes militarily in Mali from January 2013, its objectives are to secure the 6 000 French nationals in Mali and to protect the French exploitation of the uranium mines, in Arlit in Niger
1 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 12/02/17, 14:10

Well no... : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

As usual some say that the ENRs require a huge backup to the fossil (gas, coal). But it is the battery storage that will solve the intermittency.

Well, this week on PV magazine, they estimate between 85 GWh and 140 GWh the storage market in the US and about 7 to 8x more globally.
A TWh of storage is starting to make. And when the individuals go there it will be much more.
Moreover, forums solar, these days, we are talking more about storage than PV modules and integration into the building. Evolution towards self-consumption underway?
0 x
Meszigues3
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Meszigues3 » 12/02/17, 15:18

Christophe wrote:I finally ... : Mrgreen:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerre_du_Mali
Thank you for your link concerning the Mali war. The article is very well documented, very long, with many more detailed links; there are indeed some lines on uranium.

Once again, if indirect costs are to be attributed to the production of nuclear power, we have no right to hide them.

In the immense conflict in Mali, it is difficult to calculate what must be attributed specifically to uranium production: the war is everywhere, even where there has never been uranium. Ten, one hundred million euros? Let's put one billion euros, ridiculously overvalued.
The value of thousands of TWh of nuclear electricity in France, produced since the 70 years, amounts to hundreds of billions of euros. One billion euros is a drop of water.

On the other hand, in wind and solar energy, the costs of back-up systems are stubbornly forgotten. And it's not a matter of a few percent.
0 x
Meszigues3
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Meszigues3 » 12/02/17, 16:26

ENERC wrote:As usual some say that the ENRs require a huge backup to the fossil (gas, coal). But it is the battery storage that will solve the intermittency.

Well, this week on PV magazine, they estimate between 85 GWh and 140 GWh the storage market in the US and about 7 to 8x more globally.
A TWh of storage is starting to make. And when the individuals go there it will be much more.
Moreover, forums solar, these days, we are talking more about storage than PV modules and integration into the building. Evolution towards self-consumption underway?
Real figures of production and consumption are available to all on the RTE site as an Excel table, giving the productions by sources and consumption.
The 19 and 20 January 2015 (the 2016 data are not released) in France:
Consumption: 3,44 TWh
Production: 3,89 TWh (the surplus goes into export and pumping STEP)
Wind production: 0,03 TWh
Solar production: 0,01 TWh

Solar and wind generated together 1% of consumption (one percent).

If we reason in power, the average power on the grid was 72 GW, the average wind + solar power was 0,8 GW, that is to say nothing.

So you need a huge back-up for the ENRs.

But it is the battery storage that will solve the intermittency.
And when the individuals go there it will be much more.
Moreover, forums solar, these days, we are talking more about storage than PV modules and building integration ...

We can only rejoice at this awareness.
Having finally admitted, it remains only to integrate these essential needs in the costs.
BTW: a TWh is less than half a day in winter for France.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/02/17, 16:52

Meszigues3 wrote:Once again, if indirect costs are to be attributed to the production of nuclear power, we have no right to hide them.

In the immense conflict in Mali, it is difficult to calculate what must be attributed specifically to uranium production: the war is everywhere, even where there has never been uranium. Ten, one hundred million euros? Let's put one billion euros, ridiculously overvalued.
The value of thousands of TWh of nuclear electricity in France, produced since the 70 years, amounts to hundreds of billions of euros. One billion euros is a drop of water.

There it was just for the upstream of nuclear production ... we can talk about downstream if you want?

Also, wind and solar have never been at the origin of war: how much do you value the value of a human life?

Meszigues3 wrote:On the other hand, in wind and solar energy, the costs of back-up systems are stubbornly forgotten. And it's not a matter of a few percent.

The back up is not essential as the penetration of renewable energy does not exceed a certain threshold on the network ... we are far from reaching it in Europe ... and even less in France!

But price level of back up, the deal could very quickly change with lithium batteries LTO ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/02/17, 17:05

If conceptually storage is the solution to intermittency, however, this less solves the problem that it does not move it. There is no evidence that the impact of storage is lower than that of a back-up of conventional plants.
Even a new storage technology coming opportunely to "save the model" would have consequences in terms of extractivism, which the critics of renewable energies neglect.
Christophe, you write:
A wind turbine and solar PV have never been at the origin of war: how much do you value the value of a human life?

Of a war, not yet * to my knowledge, but human life is also exposed in the mines of the "third world", as for example the Tibetans "employed" by the Chinese in the mines of rare earths and I do not believe not that the latter esteem the existence of the former to be very high.

* It is easy to understand that if the interest for these energies took an unprecedented scale to date, the sources of conflict would move on this ground.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Meszigues3
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Meszigues3 » 12/02/17, 18:05

Christophe wrote:Also, wind and solar have never been at the origin of war: how much do you value the value of a human life?
I value as much as you do human life.

You suggest that ecologists respect human life and that I do not respect it.
The Germans have replaced nuclear power with coal and we are talking about tens of thousands of premature deaths. I do not accuse you: "How much do you value the value of a human life? "which would be discourteous on my part.

Once again I ask to respect the logical and usual use of counting all the costs associated with each cost calculation, for nuclear power, for wind turbines, for coal-fired power plants, solar power, etc.

Christophe wrote:The back up is not essential as the penetration of renewable energy does not exceed a certain threshold on the network ... we are far from reaching it in Europe ... and even less in France!

Here ! Finally. So do not rush with the ENRs.

All that remains is to admit that if the back-up cost is low because of the low ENR production, there is no reason to sweep it under the rug.

Christophe wrote:But price level of back up, the deal could very quickly change with lithium batteries LTO ..

That we soon find solutions to back-up is possible; We'll see. Since the time we are promised inexpensive ENR!
Simply for the moment an honest calculation of the costs.
1 x