Samsung R780: clamped battery, improved life?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Samsung R780: clamped battery, improved life?

by Christophe » 27/12/10, 19:20

Seen on a Samsung R780 laptop (therefore recent): if used on the mains most of the time, it is advisable / possible to "restrain" the charge of the battery (li ion) to 80% of its maximum capacity . This is to increase the life of the battery.

It is a li-ion battery.

Isn't load management already optimized and controlled as much in software as in hardware? So, I don't understand the interest of the pkoi of how?

Do you have other tips on other tips from other laptop brands?

ps: in the same genre but at Toshiba https://www.econologie.com/forums/toshiba-ec ... 10212.html
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 28/12/10, 01:39

: Arrowu: For IT, I didn't know, but in cars, it's a known strategy.

The Prius I has a 1500Wh battery (Nimh) with capacity used over barely 50% of its operating range to preserve its longevity.

One of my friends equipped his electric AX with LiFePo4 batteries in 190Ah to replace the 100Ah of the original NiCd.
If this allows him from time to time routes of more than 250km, on a daily basis he uses his batteries which increases their theoretical longevity.

In contrast, my scooter equipped with NiCd 100Ah, very often requests instantaneous 200A which explains a longevity which rarely exceeds 8 years in intensive use ...
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 28/12/10, 08:39

I believe that christophe speaks rather of the limitation in charge and not in discharge.
on lithium, indeed, the lifespan is lengthened if they are not loaded with the cleat ... but the capacity is lower.
0 x
Click my signature
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 28/12/10, 10:48

dirk pitt wrote:I believe that christophe speaks rather of the limitation in charge and not in discharge.
on lithium, indeed, the lifespan is lengthened if they are not loaded with the cleat ... but the capacity is lower.
Yes, and I heard that it was the same for the Prius whose Nimh would never be loaded to more than 80% nor discharged below 35% ... Which would leave them with a useful capacity of less than 800Wh either less than half the capacity on board a scooter, which explains the ridiculous electric autonomy of the Prius ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/12/10, 10:52

Yes, I am talking about the load capacity; we can ask that the interface does not load not more than 80% in case of frequent non-use of the battery ...

Voila pkoi I do not understand the strategy of samsung .... the reason may be that a lithium battery (unlike lead and nimh, nicd they store empty) does not like to be kept charged at 100% permanence?

At the level of the cycles, for the discharge generally windows / linux cuts automatically below 5%.

Li ion batteries are much less sensitive to charge / discharge cycles than nickel batteries, so I fully understand Citroen's remark. Thank you in passing for the info. The Cathi of Remundo must 'interest I think!

Generally a lithium battery is given for 500 to 600 full cycles of service life. On the instructions of our VAE (see: https://www.econologie.com/forums/experience ... t7946.html ), it is even indicated that if you discharge only 50% then you can charge 1200 times ... that is to say that the charge / discharge cycles are cumulative.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 28/12/10, 17:05

Christophe wrote:Li ion batteries are much less sensitive to charge / discharge cycles than nickel batteries, so I fully understand Citroen's remark. Thank you in passing for the info. The Cathi of Remundo must 'interest I think!
Many of my connections use the range extender lithium. I could see it up close during an exhibition of our Asso last June, a report can be found HERE. Some cool news from this equipment are to read over there. A dozen intallations in France including 2 of Remundo, May I think this figure is below reality because the association soonelectrical also goes up on his side to convert Prius to Prius PLUGIN.

In my case, even if I find the product interesting, I do not feel the need to use it and its integration would be problematic in the 106 for lack of space. I would therefore rather focus on a full LiFePo4 conversion, like that of another motorist who has exceeded 250 km of autonomy with his 25kWh lithium conversion on board for a weight less than 30kg than the original NiCd equipment ( it still has to achieve a suitable integration).
Christophe wrote:Generally a lithium battery is given for 500 to 600 full cycles of service life. On the instructions of our VAE (see: https://www.econologie.com/forums/experience ... t7946.html ), it is even indicated that if you discharge only 50% then you can charge 1200 times ... that is to say that the charge / discharge cycles are cumulative.
Yes, I think it is better to reason in number of Amps hours charged / discharged and to avoid pulling too much on the batteries above 2C, even if the Lithium is capable of feats (> to 10C) ...
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"