Electric batteries: state of the art end 2016

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
Christophe

Electric batteries: state of the art end 2016

by Christophe » 15/10/16, 12:20

Research on "traction" electric batteries intended for electric transport has evolved fairly quickly in recent years but nothing (or almost) spectacular has yet arrived on the market, so I would like to take stock with you. We are currently at battery level for electric transport ... 3 criteria are fundamental in the field of transport: the mass capacity, the recharging capacity and the number of cycles (at partial load often the case in electric transport)

Renault has recently doubled the autonomy of its Zoe (see: Transportation-electric / car-and-electric-transport-the-fil-of-news-t14813.html # p309531): they say with a new motor and new electrodes, someone knows more?

The Airbus eFan obtains a real mass capacity of 200 Wh / kg with Lipo, ie "propulsive" energy at 160 Wh / kg (80% efficiency from the battery to the propeller) to compare with the gasoline used in the same range of aircraft: 47 MJ / kg or 13 kWh / kg at 25% efficiency, we therefore have a propulsive energy of 13 * 000 = 0.25 Wh / kg ...the essence remains 20 times more interesting than the best current batteries!

But research is evolving, especially the very promising Lithium-Air https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulateur_lithium-air which would allow (but on what horizon?) mass capacities similar to fossil fuels!

The Wiki page already gives quite a bit of information about Lithium technology: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulateur_lithium

So if someone already has on hand a technical-economic comparison of current batteries it would be nice to share it :)

Thank you
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Electric Drums: state of the art end 2016

by Obamot » 15/10/16, 12:47

Naion:

image.png

SOURCES: Graph showing the specific energies (based on discharge of 1)
(a) NaVPO4F (~ 14 mA / g), J. Barker, MY Saidi, JL Swoyer, Electrochem. Solid St., 2003, 6, A1.
(b) NaN1 / 3Fe1 / 3Mn1 / 3O2 (15 mA / g), D. Kim, E. Lee, M. Slater, W. Lu, S. Rood, CS Johnson, Electrochem. Common, 2012. 18, 66.
(c) NaNi0.5Mn0.5O2 (25 mA / g), S. Komaba, W. Murata1, T. Ishikawa, N. Yabuuchi, T. Ozeki, T. Nakayama, A. Ogata, K. Gotoh, K. Fujiwara, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2011, 21, 3859.
(d) Na0.67Ni1 / 3Mn2 / 3O2 (10 mA / g), Data collected at Faradion
(e) LiFePO4 (~ 10 mA / g), Data collected at Faradion

Advantage, sodium is cheap, recyclable and available in almost unlimited quantities (almost as abundant as iron:

image.jpeg
Source: http://www.faradion.co.uk/technology/

CNRS:
https://lejournal.cnrs.fr/articles/batt ... -en-marche

This will make cheap accumulators at all. There was a BIG lack.
And we are at the beginning of the sodium-ion.

On the other hand the big disappointment is graphene (ultracapacitors) Because the dielectric on the thickness of a single atom is very weak and I did not hear that someone found how to technically overcome this problem ...
Last edited by Obamot the 15 / 10 / 16, 13: 14, 2 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/10/16, 13:11

Oh thank you, I had missed the research on Sodium-Ion, it was announced here: Science-and-Technology / sodium-ion battery-du CNRS-t14349.html

By cons it does not seem as promising as Lithium-Air according to your 1er diagram (since LiFePo are already better)

ps: ok for availability but lithium recycles well enough no?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/10/16, 13:18

Bein the Na-ion was the missing link in low-cost batteries, so it's VERY important.
With performances almost at the height of Li-ion, what more can you ask for from the beginning of their industrialization?
In five years they will have exploded the Li-ion amha.

HERE very complete, double-tap then slider from bottom to top on the left column to scroll through the pages:
http://www.intechopen.com/books/alkali- ... phosphates
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/10/16, 14:25

Yes the prices (and their evolutions) are also to be taken into account ...

Hence this subject which is meant to be synthetic ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/10/16, 15:50

To say what I think on the merits ... The chemical industry (areas of the batteries) already has all kinds of plans and scenarios in reserve and other strategies dedicated around renewable energy (or not), currently it is a hyper-lucrative segment (between a quarter and half the cost of an electric vehicle is the battery, so lucrative that Renault rent (smart) ...

It's going to be funny, because it will be enough of a single factory that we sort of affordable sodium-ion to see the domino effect behind .... And then, only, the majors will release all kinds of interesting and unheard-of things, all that they had hitherto hidden in their drawers ... : Mrgreen:

Why? This is simple because the world of chemistry is dominated by petrochemicals? Should we explain further?

The first could be the Chinese (not oil exporter and large internal needs complementary to their PV strategy), or the Germans (choice of nuclear exit and large automotive industry needing to rebuild a virginity in the field of the environment: VW scandal) ... it's the crisis, you have to survive well, it can be a way to save a company. But of course, these are still speculations, I have no evidence, just clues ....

What bothers me is that we should not have too large an "offer", because it would be well to fully develop the production of RE beforehand ... Big mistake that many governments had made , by putting the cart before the horse.
0 x
nrj974
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by nrj974 » 18/10/16, 19:29

I know a wonderful battery, accessible to all around the world, for really cheap, which provides 165 times more capacity than Li / ion, inexhaustible materials, infinitely recyclable, non-polluting, ... battery that boosts the ability of your nomadic devices to + 30 Days Vs 1 J!

I mentioned the "hydrogen battery"!

Soon available industrially ... 100% clean, 100% ecological, 100% recyclable, 100% sustainable, ...
Sam
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/10/16, 19:58

I also know Alice in Wonderland! : Cheesy:

Okay without laughing: I want to see the source, url, datasheet of this "H2 battery"? 8) 8)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/10/16, 20:01

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/10/16, 20:07

I know the PAC pretty well and it does not correspond to its description: no PAC is small enough to power portable electronics and I do not believe that a PAC is currently less voluminous than a Li-Ion battery (from same power) ... quite the contrary!

I wonder if he is not going to bring out "the water cell"? : Cheesy:
0 x