DIY electrification of vehicles of all kinds!

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher

DIY electrification of vehicles of all kinds!

by PITMIX » 12/11/18, 09:44

Hello,
Here is a good time that I did not come here. Since one year I devote my free time to the manufacture of electric vehicles.
I had the desire to transform the moped of my 14 years in electric mob for more than 10 years but not really knowing how to handle it and facing the discouraging answers gleaned on various forums discussions and faced with the unattractive prices of motors and batteries, I ended up getting rid of this mob and forgot my idea.
Then one day I went back looking for how to modify my thermal kart and I discovered the work of a certain Tchangly21 on Youtube and since then I am bitten.
His technique consists of converting HS car alternators (bridge rectifier, voltage regulator in 90% of cases) into a Brushless motor.
Then simply power the stator 60 or 48V with Drone batteries and the rotor with a converter 48 / 12VDC, all managed by a Chinese Ebike controller.
In the same economic and easy-to-do spirit it is possible to convert a classic bike into an electric bike thanks to a Hoverboard engine used as a Solex roller motor.
For some Euro see for free it is possible to find defective Hoverboard in the skips of the stores, or at some dealers of spare parts on Internet.
For about 200 € new batteries included it is possible to make a proto relatively powerful and to have fun without bothering neighbors. For those who have the patience to make a li-ion battery with 18650 batteries it costs almost nothing to make a funny proto.
Mopeds, Dirt bike, karting, bike, pedal kart, Crazy kart, scooters ... everything goes and it works great.
Here are some videos of my protos and I am a little player next to some bitters like me. Hoping to give you the virus good visualizations 8) 8)
Video tutorial of the conversion of an alternator into Brushless motor:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Motobecane bike after the war of my grandfather electrified with a Hoverboard engine coupled in Triangle:

Mechanical presentation:

Test: 

Karting Thermique converted into electric with an alternator 120A Valéo Renault Megane DCI:
Mechanical presentation:

Test:

Peugeot 103 Sp converted to electric with an alternator 150A Peugeot 308HDI:

Presentation and Test:

MBK 51 converted into electric with a Renault Laguna 210A alternator DCI130CV:

Acceleration test with motor failure:

Test once the problem is solved:

Pedal kart for children electrified with a Hoverboard engine coupled in star:
Presentation of the 1 version with alternator of Super 5 essence:

Test of the 2 version with Hoverboard engine:

There is another project in the drawer but it is not finished yet ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
2 x
Christophe

Re: DIY electrification of vehicles of all kinds!

by Christophe » 12/11/18, 12:01

PITMIX wrote:Here is a good time that I did not come here. Since one year I devote my free time to the manufacture of electric vehicles.

Hi Pitmix, it was a quail!

This is a message from a former member as I like it!

I will look at all this in detail because I am also on an electric vehicle project! (2 actually ...)

Contact me in MP if you want to talk a little! The BMS, ESC and XT60 (and even XT90) I know :)

Otherwise, the forum has evolved since your last visit: you can directly view videos youtube (just paste the link youtube without anything else) and it also works with post facebook, twitter, vimeo ... etc etc ... 8) 8) 8)

So I changed your message so that it works like this (the count of views works do not worry)
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/18, 12:16

ps: now I completely understand the choice of your avatar! : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
1 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 12/11/18, 22:18

I myself am trying to electrify a machine using a modified auto alternator. Me is for ... a tiller! : Mrgreen: but a model equipped with wheels is used to tow a small trailer to make a wheelbarrow motor. Anyway, it's just the beginning of the project.
Just a reflection about the 51 (I have not looked at the other videos yet) I do not know if the brushless motors obey the same law as the DC motors, but I think so. So if I remember well my electro-technical course, on a DC motor with independent excitation, we can thus vary the armature current, this variation of current of armature makes it possible to modify the fcem of the motor, and thus its Maximum speed.
At startup we put the maximum armature current to have the max torque, but arrived at a certain speed, the fcem that the engine can not accelerate. We then reduce the armature current to lower the fcem and thus be able to accelerate. The goal was to find the balance between fcem (and thus armature current) and torque so that the speed is maintained.
Is this principle applicable to alternators transformed into an engine? I think so.
It would take a drive on the armature, so that once at maximum speed we can gradually reduce the current and see if the engine can still accelerate (if the controller allows of course)

For my project I do not need speed, but for a road vehicle it may be worth a try.
1 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 26/11/18, 13:27

Hi guys, it's a pleasure !! : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
to see that it interests you. I have not had any notification of your answers can be my e-mail fire is a little too zealous.
Ok by fact for youtube I tested 8)
Just buy a 48 / 64V E_bike controller 1500W a throttle grip a 48 or 60V lithium pack and roll everything that has wheels.
An alternator 120A preferably see 150A but no more after that becomes galley. No less than 100A because below it does not move forward.
Hoverboard engines are great too and we find 30 € the pair. Food up to 50V they allow to ride a bike 45-50km / h for less than 200 € including batteries.
Our purchases come from Hong Kong (not very green) or England (be careful always take the tracking number tracking option).
Germany and the United States charge a high price for Transportation for the same products as the Chinese.
The English at Hoobyking are unbeatable on the price of Li-po batteries but you have to be patient to wait for the 2X promos per year.
I hit a Li-Po pack 16s (60V) 16Ah 10C (able to spit instant 160A) to € 164 suddenly I took 2 120 16V it's either Ah or 60V 32Ah for € 420. Ten days ago the 4s 16s 12C lipos was at 70 € pieces but there they are more than 120 €. You have to be on the lookout.
I did not put BMS but Lipo alarm. It is convenient but not good for long distances, because when it sounds nothing prevents to continue to empty the battery until it is dead unlike the bms that cuts the juice.
1 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 26/11/18, 14:53

Look Forhorse is for you a grandpa who is like me.

controller adapted to car alternators converted to Brushless

You need a converter 48VDC / 12VDC10A to supply the coals (the induced rotor) or an independent battery in 12VDC 7A are enough.
waterproof converter 60V-12V 10A

An E-Scoot throttle grip, a trigger handle, a go-kart pedal or an 10kOhms potentiometer make it easy to vary the juice.

It is possible to mount a resolver encoder rather than adapt sensors hall is much easier and especially it works first time.
cheap resolver encoder

Here the guy also replaced the wound rotor with a Neodymium rotor that he himself mounted with cylindrical magnets from
magno-sphere.de
The winding of the rotor must be taken out of the rotor by the front and never by the back (side coals because there is a groove)
The rings are exactly the outside diameter of the winding (you have to measure)
The success is not always perfect with these magnets because the fact of putting up the air gaps diffuses the magnetic field.
Some one created supports for rectangular neodymium magnet with an 3D printer. It's light and efficient.
The magnets are bonded to the two-component Araldyte industrial.

Link to cheap lipo batteries but you have to be patient for specials, if not for connectivity and charger they are at the top too.
Distrust on deliveries always take the tracking package. In case of loss of the parcel by the post office, they do not refund. Fortunately Paypal refunded me.
Multistar High capacity batteries

Here you are to play
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 26/11/18, 20:30

I did a first test with a model brushless motor controller and it was running, but not fast (normal parant battery 12V ...) the pair was correct without being extraordinary. But trying to block the engine something happened and since then no longer wants to turn :?
So I ordered a controller 1500W / 48V ebike among the Chinese ... I hope I took the right model because there are pages and pages, at all prices and sellers are rather avar on the technical characteristics. Given the price I took a handful of accelerator, it will be fine for my application.
Level personal batteries I will rather go on 4 45Ah lead batteries, because for my project the weight is not a handicap, on the contrary! to have traction will require weight on the drive axle and the batteries will act as a mass.
For the armature, no need for a converter, a chopper with good duty cycle will do the trick: the load is fixed, so no need for regulation, once the right setting found the value of the current will not vary greatly. And anyway the variations of current (between charged batteries and discharged batteries, between cold armature and hot induced) are not really embarrassing.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 27/11/18, 00:43

Hello,
How does a VAE controller work on an auto alternator turned into Brussless?
An alternator does not have sensors with hall effect ... A priori, it comes out in three-phase with what frequency?
If I understand correctly the potentiometer or the trigger varies this frequency to vary the speed of rotation.
Sorry to quibble, but I would rather see it as a synchronous motor in this case.

By varying the voltage of the inductor one could also vary the torque and power, it seems to me?
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 27/11/18, 17:39

Model making controllers use the hoarseness which is not supplied as a sensor by using the principle of "back EMF" to synchronize.

And yes, by changing the current that passes into the inductor, it changes the characteristics of the engine, unlike a permanent magnet motor that has fixed characteristics.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 27/11/18, 20:29

Well, I looked a little on my side.
"back EMF" is the counter-electromotive force.
These brushless motor controllers (brushless) are called ESC (Electronic Speed ​​Control).
This article explains how it works http://arduino.blaisepascal.fr/index.ph ... brushless/
This one lists the different models and different protocols used https://culturefpv.fr/guide-composants- ... -20180121/
0 x