Supercooled in my bottle of beer !!

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Christophe

Supercooled in my bottle of beer !!

by Christophe » 10/06/16, 10:54

Yesterday I made a supercooled with my bottle of beer!

This had never happened to me (or with water let alone with beer)!

Background: I put some beer (glass bottle 25cl) in the freezer to cool faster, the 2ieme beer I open at the 2ieme mouthful, much beer turns into ice. Obviously I tried to reproduce the phenomenon but none of the other bottles (not I not drinking eh!) Has done the same thing (you need a very precise temperature to get there)

Interesting things that I noticed:
- It is not opening or transport of the bottle which led to supercooling, however it is a small disturbance which leads to supercooling
- the ice cube has melted again much faster than if it were a "normal" ice cube
- I thought supercooling was reserved for very pure water

See: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfusion et https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effet_Mpemba
0 x
Christophe

Re: Supercool in my bottle of beer !!

by Christophe » 10/06/16, 10:57

ps: the Mpemba effect contradicts everything we ever taught me in Physics ... and it is far from trivial from this curve:

350px-Mpemba-time-temperature.svg.png
350px-Mpemba-time-temperature.svg.png (10.34 KB) Viewed times 5122

The Mpemba effect is the name given to the phenomenon that appears when hot water freezes faster than cold water under similar cooling conditions. This effect is also sometimes called the "Mpemba paradox" because the water must necessarily go back to a lower temperature when cooling, and a priori take more time to cool than at a lower temperature. This phenomenon is not systematic and only appears under certain conditions.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/06/16, 11:22

Have you tried to reproduce the phenomenon?

If you can't, I suggest it's probably because at some point you caused a "shock" (shortly before supercooling).

(It can be a contact shock, shock due to movement of the liquid in the can, heat and / or other).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/06/16, 12:16

To be clear, and we talk about the same thing:

- Supercooling is that your beer remained liquid at a temperature in the freezer when it should freeze; beer is not pure water (even a Stella Artois!), it is not zero degrees but less something ...

- then, in fact, a "little something" can "destroy" this unstable state to trigger the transition to the normal stable state for the temperature in question, that is to say, the solid state in the occurrence ; the phenomenon that you describe is the sudden solidification, following a state of supercooling.

It is possible that your other beers were not supercooled = had not reached the temperature below the solidification temperature of this "impure water". The one on which you observed the phenomenon was perhaps a little cooler? (placed closer to the wall of the freezer? more on the side of the holder of the circuit containing the refrigerant?).

Often these are the "nuclei" of crystallization that triggers the exit of supercooling and rapid solidification. Maybe also only your 2nd can contained such a "nucleus", such an impurity? The others were too well filtered?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/06/16, 13:55

Obamot wrote:Have you tried to reproduce the phenomenon?

If you can't, I suggest it's probably because at some point you caused a "shock" (shortly before supercooling).

(It can be a contact shock, shock due to movement of the liquid in the can, heat and / or other).

Yes, absolutely: I immediately 2 other bottles from the freezer,
a) I have an uncapped (= shock physically speaking) and shaken and tapped with the thumb on the neck (mouhaha)
b) The other I typed on a table when it was closed ...

Hoping to reproduce the phenomenon in video but nada in 2 cases :(
So I wasted a bottle lol : Cry: but it's for science!

Certainly it is a phenomenon that appears to 1 / 10 ° C to close (see more accurate) ... or with very precise impact (gender 7 7.1 G instead of it does not work) ... brief difficult to reproduce as the conditions for obtaining supercooling are rather blurry ...

Also I thought it concerned only very pure water (one can not say that beer is so pure ???) ... so I was very surprised!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/06/16, 13:57

Did67 wrote:To be clear and speak about the same thing (...)

Difficult to answer all these questions, but I totally agree with you, I ask myself the same ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/06/16, 14:28

Christophe wrote:Certainly it is a phenomenon that appears to 1 / 10 ° C to close (see more accurate

Yes, because contrary to what many people think, 1 ° C difference is huge in chemistry / physics (and in life everyday ... thermometers without tenths of degrees are pretty useless, not enough specific!)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/06/16, 14:33

Well I understand, I will sacrifice myself for Science, it remains for me to do testing, testing, testing ... still

It's my liver that will pull the mouth :D :D :D
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"