Damaged electric car directly to the scrapyard?

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
Christophe

Damaged electric car directly to the scrapyard?

by Christophe » 14/02/24, 15:22

Here's something else:

Electric_cars_accident.jpg
Electric_cars_accident.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 984 times
0 x
Christophe

Re: Damaged electric car directly to the scrapyard?

by Christophe » 14/02/24, 15:28

Battery chemical imbalance? But what is bullshit that shouldn't be heard...

A violent shock (far, far beyond the triggering G of the air bags) can actually cause internal short circuits in the battery (and this is quickly seen...with a risk of fire) but certainly not an invisible chemical imbalance. ..or you have to explain to me what this new concept is!
0 x
gfgh64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by gfgh64 » 14/02/24, 16:40

especially since all electric vehicles do not have the same battery

and what do we also mean by direct to scrapyard? not necessarily for destruction, perhaps a finally effective recycling program with reuse of everything that is still valid, to make a new vehicle

or as you imply, some crazy face!!!!
1 x
Understanding does not mean accepting
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 14/02/24, 17:57

photos of the battery pack of my c zero taken during disassembly for repair of a CMU card
IMG_20231230_184001.jpg
IMG_20240116_173345_resized_20240117_073235875.jpg
IMG_20240116_173345_resized_20240117_073235875.jpg (229.29 KB) Viewed 943 times

Chemical desequilible I don't think. Mechanical disorder doesn't seem stupid to me... the trunk, even if it's sturdy, is not a safe and it's shoehorned in there... it's difficult to know without dismantling and inspection if the cells did not move...

Afterwards I have information on the VW packs the cells are placed in aluminum boxes into which a blocking resin is injected which takes up all the space the boxes are even x-rayed to detect possible air bubbles ...all assembled in an aluminum box which is also hardly more inviolable than the plastic one on my c zero...

Throw away I am against checking the absence of internal damage I say why not... They are potential incendiary bombs...
3 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/02/24, 19:22

gfgh64 wrote:and what do we also mean by direct to scrapyard? not necessarily for destruction, perhaps a finally effective recycling program with reuse of everything that is still valid, to make a new vehicle

Precisely the classic scrapyards cannot accept them it seems to me...

Well, I would like to take back damaged battery cells from you for free! 8)
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 14/02/24, 19:54

Christophe wrote:Well, I would like to take back damaged battery cells from you for free! 8)

Everything has a price Christophe, especially this kind of waste... For information, the simple lead battery was €530 per ton in March 2023

Scrap metal: €195 per ton (can of old car parts)
battery: €530 per ton
Cast iron: €280 per tonne (brake discs and drums and heating radiator)
Aluminum casing: €1300 per tonne (aluminum rims)
Aluminum; 750€ per tonne (can of coke)
18/8 stainless steel; 800€ per ton (I don’t remember)
Mixed copper: €6150 per ton (copper plumbing pipes)
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/02/24, 21:22

Your household waste and tires (just for example) you have to pay to "get rid of" them...what's the difference with an electric car that no one wants to recycle?

Here we are therefore talking about "negative prices"...
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 14/02/24, 21:34

Who is he if he wouldn't have taken information from 20 years ago!

I'm first to get the good batteries!
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/02/24, 21:50

This is a Reuters investigation... the number of electric vehicles in scrapyards was particularly high. Why are there so many electric cars in the “trash” when they represent less than 15% of vehicles on the road?

Explanations. In an electric car, the battery is undoubtedly the most expensive element. In some cases, the battery pack can reach 50% of the selling price, or several tens of thousands of euros. However, repairing these batteries is not easy; on the contrary, it would be a long, expensive operation and not without some risks.
Before even considering a possible repair, a diagnosis must be carried out and this is almost impossible on the batteries of damaged electric cars. The reason ? Manufacturers do not provide access to data linked to cells, in order to preserve their competitiveness and their industrial secrets. Therefore, it is impossible for a repairer or any other third party to estimate the cost of an intervention. In these cases, rather than undertaking costly and risky operations, insurers choose to scrap the cars.

What the Reuters investigation points out, in addition to the attitude of insurers, is also the role of manufacturers in the manufacturing or integration of batteries in their cars. While some brands have taken the subject seriously and are working to make their battery packs more accessible and more easily repairable, like Ford or General Motors, others are taking the opposite path. This is the case of Tesla in particular which, to optimize the operation of the 4680 cells of the Model Y, glues them together and to the chassis. The Californian manufacturer thus reduces its production costs, but makes repair of the accumulator impossible.

On Tesla's SUV, the batteries are considered irreparable. What about the Model 3? They are much too expensive (around 20 euros for an intervention, on a vehicle which costs 000).

Finally, the other consequence is to be found on the side of insurance premiums. Professionals in the sector would increase their prices when it comes to insuring electric vehicles. Reuters thus mentions an increase in the franchise of around 27% in the United States...
https://www.01net.com/actualites/pourqu ... iques.html

So we will have to seriously legislate so that these batteries can be diagnosed, repaired, or even recycled in the stationary.
1 x