Storage of solar energy by MIT catalysis

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Christophe

Storage of solar energy by MIT catalysis

by Christophe » 09/08/08, 08:55

Storage of solar energy by catalysis ... yes, but ultimately less interesting than what the title would suggest

Source: MIT

MIT researchers have developed an inexpensive and efficient solution for storing solar energy. A catalysis process that opens up new perspectives for the development of renewable energies.

The multiple attempts to store energy from the sun in order to reuse it later have always encountered the obstacle of cost and efficiency of the processes.

This, until researchers at MIT offer a solution that is both effective, inexpensive, and very simple to implement. And which uses only abundant and non-toxic raw materials.

"Solar energy has always been a little distant, limited solution, explains Professor Nocera. Now we can seriously think about unlimited solar energy, and soon."

His team has developed a process inspired by plant photosynthesis, which uses energy from the sun to break down water into hydrogen and oxygen. The gases can then be recombined via a fuel cell and supply energy to a house or an electric car regardless of the amount of sunshine.

The key to this new process is a new catalyst that produces oxygen from water. When current flows through the electrode, its cobalt and phosphate form a thin film, and oxygen is produced there.

It is combined with another catalyst (kept secret?) Which produces hydrogen.

The new catalyst operates at room temperature, neutral pH, and is easy to use. "That's why I know it's going to work, Nocera predicts. It's so easy to set up."

"This is a major discovery with enormous consequences for the future prosperity of mankind, commented Professor Barber of Imperial College London." The importance of their discovery cannot be underestimated, insists. he says, because it opens the door to the development of new technologies for energy production, making it possible to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and to respond to the problems of climate change. "

Nocera hopes that within 10 years, homeowners will be able to power their homes by day with photovoltaic cells, while using excess solar energy to produce hydrogen and oxygen and continue to grow. light up the rest of the time.

Some analyzes:

- The H2 catalyst is kept secret, one wonders why ... it wouldn't be cerine by any chance?
+ Hydrolysis with PV panels is a big deal of bullshit (15% against 60% with the solar concentration)
+ JL Perrier therefore undoubtedly had better results in terms of yield ... without the millions of dollars in R&D aid: https://www.econologie.com/forums/solaire-je ... t1520.html
+ It's not in 10 years but NOW we need a solution
+ What to do with the H2 product AFTER?
= Another stroke of the sword in the water ...

Sorry but currently and for a long time yet, nothing beats a GOOD BIG THERMAL BUFFER for storing solar energy:
- https://www.econologie.com/forums/une-maison ... t5233.html
- https://www.econologie.com/maison-solair ... -3790.html
- And ours: https://www.econologie.com/forums/energie-so ... t4517.html
Last edited by Christophe the 12 / 08 / 08, 12: 29, 1 edited once.
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 09/08/08, 09:07

In ten years it will indeed be a little late ...

For photovoltaic panels, given those in the boxes, have little hope of having commercial yields of 30% to 40% within ten years ...

As for H2 storage, they will have a job, but given the billions of dollars invested in fuel cells, they are starting to control them well.

I just find it unfortunate that their device does not work directly by "photon excitation" rather than electrolysis. We break the water molecule by passing it to the sun in the presence of specific chemical elements. It limits the chain of energy transformations, in general it's a pretty good sign ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/08/08, 09:13

1) Ben the billions invested in PACs are essentially on the PAC itself and, if need be, ONBOARD storage ... Nothing or almost nothing is planned for the H2 distribution network ... even less for its production. The H2 currently sold in extremely rare pumps is of petroleum origin.

So I think we will never all drive (at least in my lifetime) with pure H2 ...

The best technological advance in heat pumps has been this heat pump which knew how to reform methanol and then (it is above all this which counts) ethanol on board.

This path of reformer on board a biofuel is, in my opinion, the most promising. There is more to reforming with pure vegetable oils and there it would start to become seriously interesting (even in conventional engines, adding H2 would limit the problem of oil combustion ... just like water doping in fact).

2) Photonic excitation? Hu? Thermolysis cracking you mean? See Perrier
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 12/08/08, 17:30

No, no cracking, what I want is hydrolysis, in the presence of a catalyst, with energy as light energy. Without electrical conversion, and without notion of heat (even if it is perhaps interesting to imagine that the increase in temperature would facilitate the reaction).

I don't think that's what MIT is offering.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/08/08, 17:51

A uh..photolysis then?
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 12/08/08, 18:19

Yes, photolysis, even with a yield of 20%, it would be wonderful to compare to electrolysis with electricity from photovoltaic origin. But I don't believe it exists ...

Even if theoretically, light, as energy can directly perform this kind of miracle, in practice, I don't know !? :frown:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/08/08, 18:28

Now, come to think of it: the micro alga Chlamydomonas does good H2 from light (and water) ... so it's a photolysis (but vegetable).

The yields are quite low.

For the rest I am not well versed in physics ... but there may be things to do with photoluminescence (reverse effect ???)
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 12/08/08, 19:15

I always wondered if we could have a photoluminescent plant aquarium to ensure the dim lighting of a house.

But I believe that the conditions required for photoluminescence are still poorly understood ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/08/08, 19:23

Oops sorry I meant sonoluminescence!
0 x