Pop corn (popcorn) anti cancer + powerful antioxidant?

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Christophe

Pop corn (popcorn) anti cancer + powerful antioxidant?

by Christophe » 02/04/12, 23:49

I believed in a fish but no ... it's April 2 ... popcorn would be anti-carcinogenic! Eat smacks !! : Cheesy:

A group of American scientists began to promote popcorn after discovering that the shell of popcorn, which tends to get stuck between the teeth, is a better source of antioxidants than fruits and nuts. vegetables.

By studying popcorn closely, researchers at the University of Scranton, Pennsylvania, discovered that the shell of the popcorn had a high polyphenol and fiber content.

The low water content of popcorn compared to fruits and vegetables has something to do with it. Indeed, in fruits and vegetables, polyphenols are diluted in 90% of water, while popcorn contains only about 4% of water, according to the researchers, who expressed themselves during a American Chemical Society National Symposium in San Diego, March 25.

The researchers compared the polyphenol content in popcorn and (non-popped) corn to that in fruit. Verdict: in equal portions, popcorn contains up to 300 mg of polyphenols, corn 114 mg and all fruits display 160 mg of polyphenols.

"These hulls deserve more respect," concluded one of the study's authors in a press release. "These are nutritious gold mines."

There are still a few principles to follow in order not to turn this healthy snack into a nutritious nightmare: avoid cooking your popcorn in oil, adding a plate of butter or emptying your salt shaker.

The best way to cook it is to use a popcorn blower.

The other cooking methods, in a pan covered with a little oil or in the microwave, produce a popcorn with double the calories.

The study also doesn't mean replacing all fresh fruits and vegetables with popcorn, since the snack can't provide the vitamins and nutrients they contain.

Popcorn can, however, provide more than 70% of the recommended daily allowance for whole grains, and therefore make up for the nutritional deficiencies of people who eat too little.

Note that in 2008, researchers established a link between particularly high incidences of lung disease and the fake butter that accompanies popcorn to be cooked in the microwave. Workers in popcorn factories, for example, were at increased risk of developing respiratory illnesses from exposure to diacetyl, the ingredient that gives artificial butter its flavor.

Source: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/vivre/sante/n ... cancer.php
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 03/04/12, 13:06

We would have to see if this study is not paid for by the US but US lobby !!
We should add that we need organic popcorn, and not eat it constantly as we often see in the US !!
It looks like peak oil, to drive up prices !!
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 03/04/12, 15:42

agree with dedeleco (it happens!)
The researchers compared the polyphenol content in popcorn and (non-popped) corn to that in fruit. Verdict: in equal portions, popcorn contains up to 300 mg of polyphenols, corn 114 mg and all fruits display 160 mg of polyphenols.
Weird! What do they mean by: equal portion: volume, weight? Would popping corn triple the polyphenols? Weird!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/04/12, 16:29

Theuh!!!

Explain to me what's new?

Polyphenols? But Janic will tell you that there is plenty in raw vegetables ... This is what we use as a natural disinfectant for our esophagus, in case ...

We have known for decades that they have an antioxidant action (phenolic hydroxy group ...) that plants can vary their composition depending on the environment (hot, cold, presence of predators which attack the crops, cause a defense reaction of the plant for example and can transform them into latex or something like polymer / phenol-formaldehyde, which then represses the invasion ... it's not hard, phenol is a vegetable hydrocarbon ...) their main interest in food, is that they are weakly acidic ... So they oxidize easily which makes them recover the "acid charge" that our organism undergoes. .in its place.

So, it is better to take care of our acid / base balance (very easy to check with the PH measurement tapes) and this will have more impact than eating popcorn, ha-ha-ha-ha-hah it's ricans ... :P in ecstasy before "science" ...

Polyphenols were still known / described until the 80s as "tannins" which are found in abundance in wine vinegar ... Which made vinegar, the food of prevention against cancer par excellence (the grape juice also contains it, which means that those who are generally abstaining from alcohol have two very economical and effective sources of polyphenols).

Fiber also, we have known for at least as long as it has a beneficial effect on cancer ...

On the other hand, I would like to know what becomes of fatty acids "TRANS", which were used for cooking popcorns and which are themselves HIGHLY CARCINOGENIC ... since they inhibit" CIS "fatty acids, essential to the life of our organism and the apex element of immunity!

If I played it Dedelco way, I would almost say thatit is criminal to eat popcorn (?) if you do not do this with oils that withstand the sudden rise in high temperature without releasing these deadly acids in the long term.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Popcorn (popcorn) anti cancer + powerful antioxidant

by Gaston » 03/04/12, 17:59

Christophe wrote:Eat smacks !! : Cheesy:
Uh, Smacks, it's not wheat blown?
0 x
jlt22
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jlt22 » 03/04/12, 18:28

NO THANKS !!

I much prefer to eat the fruits and vegetables that I buy in an organic coop, rather than the GMO popcorn.
Because in the states they only have GMO corn.
0 x
Christophe

Re: Popcorn (popcorn) anti cancer + powerful antioxidant

by Christophe » 03/04/12, 20:16

Gaston wrote:
Christophe wrote:Eat smacks !! : Cheesy:
Uh, Smacks, it's not wheat blown?

Ah yes !! : Oops: : Oops:

It was late when I made the subject! : Cheesy:
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 06/04/12, 09:43

the Smacks
are not smacks kisses? : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/04/12, 09:45

If I also believe ... : Cheesy:

That's good: being in love and making love (also) prolong life ...
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 06/04/12, 11:48

I will become centenary then! : Cheesy:
0 x