And if the server was econology HS?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

And if the server was econology HS?

by the middle » 16/08/09, 09:39

Having no knowledge in this area, I wonder who stores all the content of econology, and if this content was stored in one place, what would happen in case of destruction of the host ...? :?
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/08/09, 10:24

Ben it would be shit and a big blow of stress for a few days (it happened late August 2006), the time to migrate to another machine.

But do not worry about data loss because delocalized security backups are done automatically every day ...

Hardware level, our host guarantees it "for life". So if there is failure, he must replace it as soon as possible.

You'll understand that I will not go into the details of my security strategy for obvious reasons.

Here is just some info on ovh, our host: electricity-electronics-informatics / EcoSalle-data center-and-hosting-web-over-ecolo-t5038.html
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 16/08/09, 12:01

Image good news :D
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 16/08/09, 19:34

Depending on the importance of the data, the professional servers work with RAID technology, where each hard drive is doubled, tripled or quadrupled permanently.
The server may fall down, a hard drive may fail, but there is little chance that the 2 hard drive is affected.
We put the hard drive in another server, and it can start again.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 16/08/09, 21:09

Good evening,
The professional hosts are forced to work in technology raid, It have an obligation of result and only a court could quantify the value of lost data.

On the other hand, there are several levels of 0 to 5 most common raid and the use of three disks (oh memory stripping I think) of the same size that allows to simultaneously copy the data on two different disks so that if a drive loose data is always in addition to the two remaining, just change the defective drive, according to the motherboard no need to stop.
And as soon as the OS recognizes the new drive, it replicates the data to restore the balance.
other raid number allows to have 80go disk and make it one 160 or only one of 80 which will have the read write speed increase and of course to mix the options.
A little econological advice, the time is that the number of response and traffic increases, which makes it necessary to increase the subscribed module. (Space and price)
Nothing prevents to clean up because after a year that remembers the discussions of what he said to talk about delusions.What makes that hard drives and entire servers save unnecessary data.
And what to say that generates huge traffic through Facebook and consor, astronomical sums of message since if I understood the system. As soon as we publish or announce a new have spam all these contacts.
Since all is in America how much coal power plant just for appearances.
Oh how much is the peak when mr obama presses send.: Evil:
good on that I turn off the computer it consumes.
a + claude
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 16/08/09, 21:46

If only for personal data and ten thousand personal photos and family movies, I have my own 2 server with 1 To drives in RAID and a third drive for backup.
The photo backup alone is enough to justify this security.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 16/08/09, 21:51

It's luxury here! :D
Personally, I make redundant backups on CD for my photos, as for the rest, it takes up little space.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 16/08/09, 22:01

CDs do not last in time. I bought my first burner 95 digital photos from 2000 and some CDs burned almost 10 years ago show traces of oxidation and the data is lost. I also have some CRC BAD on some pictures.
So no it's not luxury.
Today CDs or DVDs are worth more to MB than hard drives. I will not scratch or oxidize them.
The server is under Linux RAID with hot-swapping disks and I have backup that is also in Linux (EXT3 format) but is readable from a Windows XP PC through an ad-hoc driver.
So I do not risk losing any more data ... And for photos it is priceless.
In addition to digital photography, we do not hesitate to take snapshots, and the same with the videos and as my camcorder is digital, my films I transfer them to the server. So Server + backup rather than CD or DVD that can crash and return more expensive to MB.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/08/09, 09:48

former oceanic wrote:CDs do not last in time. I bought my first burner 95 digital photos from 2000 and some CDs burned almost 10 years ago show traces of oxidation and the data is lost. I also have some CRC BAD on some pictures.

Disagree: I have 1995-96 CDs that are still working ... I recently made transfers on my hard drive and I had a low number of failing (less than 1 / 20 about and still the same Mark).

If a CD (brand recognized) is stored in good condition (no light, UV, T ° and% Rh), it can greatly exceed the 10 years ...

By cons I'm more worried about the hardware: in 20 years can we still read 1990 years CD? Not at all ...

"Flash" storage will become more and more widespread. OVh even already offers flash hard disks for its high-end servers ... faster and without any rotating parts (less wear in principle).

ps: all the hosts of the hosts a minimum serious are in Raid 1 or Raid 5 ... now it is necessary to see in how long the defective hard is changed by the hoster (physical presence in the data center) and at what price if not included in the hosting contract ...
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 17/08/09, 21:04

I also have 95 CDs that are still working and others that have errors.
I said 'some' ... :D
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]