Wind Turbine Efficiency Discussions

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
gfgh64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Let's intuit together...

by gfgh64 » 05/02/24, 20:58

FALCON_12 wrote:
FALCON_12 wrote:Hello,

I would like to conduct a survey regarding your intuition regarding a question.

I admit that this surprises me a lot and that if the calculations are formal, I cannot explain it. I detailed my calculations in the hope that someone would show me where, perhaps, I was wrong. I marked my calculation phases with “POINTS” to help identify any possible errors.

and then
Quarterly bulletin T3
Student Christophe Soupolait
Final year class S

As soon as Christophe does not understand he tries to dismantle the reasoning
of the teacher and questions the formulas of the course. He's joking,
he insults, he smiles stupidly, plays the clown, and despite the remarks
from his teachers his behavior has not changed. It ruined
his school year.

Opinion of the class council: a deep questioning as well as a repetition
its necessary to raise its too low level.

Personally, I don't understand anything : roll:
0 x
Understanding does not mean accepting
FALCON_12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by FALCON_12 » 05/02/24, 21:29

gfgh64 wrote:
FALCON_12 wrote:

I admit that this surprises me a lot and that if the calculations are formal, I cannot explain it. I detailed my calculations in the hope that someone would show me where, perhaps, I was wrong. I marked my calculation phases with “POINTS” to help identify any possible errors.

and then
Quarterly bulletin T3
Student Christophe Soupolait
Final year class S

As soon as Christophe does not understand he tries to dismantle the reasoning
of the teacher and questions the formulas of the course. He's joking,
he insults, he smiles stupidly, plays the clown, and despite the remarks
from his teachers his behavior has not changed. It ruined
his school year.

Opinion of the class council: a deep questioning as well as a repetition
its necessary to raise its too low level.

Personally, I don't understand anything : roll:

Ah yes but there I obtained the REMUNDO certification so
my calculations and my reasoning have been validated!

The questions should be directed to him now!

And between us, it is only him that Doctor Soupolait respects a little, with the others he looks like a donkey who brakes all four hooves as soon as he has the impression of having found something to object. And he has the gift of seeing them almost everywhere! ;)
0 x
Remundo

Re: Discussions on wind turbine efficiency

by Remundo » 05/02/24, 21:50

yes I validate Falcon's calculations with the few corrections that I made several pages before.

There is no error in our calculations.

What was asked Falcon does not require any numerical simulation, everything can be done in formal calculation. And it was done. I believe I have cleaned up the few errors in multiplicative constants to compare to Betz and specified the best possible Cx,

I repeat, I am categorical: the optimum power received by the blade is at speed V0/3 with V0 the uniform speed of the fluid which pushes it, independently of the Cx.
0 x
FALCON_12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by FALCON_12 » 05/02/24, 22:25

Remundo wrote:yes I validate Falcon's calculations with the few corrections that I made several pages before.

What was asked Falcon does not require any numerical simulation, everything can be done in formal calculation. And it was done. I believe I have cleaned up the few errors in multiplicative constants to compare to Betz and specified the best possible Cx,

I repeat, I am categorical: the optimum power received by the blade is at speed V0/3 with V0 the uniform speed of the fluid which pushes it, independently of the Cx.

I'm afraid you're fighting in vain, Remundo. For what ? Because they don't have the overall knowledge of things that you have that allows you to avoid ruts. They know the formulas but do not understand their concrete meaning, what they translate, what they represent in reality. So it goes in all directions and depending on the mood or the intensity of the pride of the moment, all modulated by the trust placed in the interlocutor, it's a big mess.

And that's a result of this DESPICABLE way we have of filling students' heads with formulas that they don't understand and only learn to apply to get a diploma. I have been teaching for 35 years, I could write a 1000 page book on the issue.

I have 100000000000 examples, it's a disaster.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 05/02/24, 22:33

ah you are an experienced colleague, older than me... Tell me about it in a Private Message, Friend Falcon. : Oops:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/02/24, 23:56

Remundo wrote:yes I validate Falcon's calculations with the few corrections that I made several pages before.

You should also apply for the Nobel…sometimes there are shared Nobels… : Mrgreen:

Correct calculations (they are) on a false postulate and a method that is too simple are worthless in the end...the worst is that you do not take into account my vain attempts at explanations...a hint:

IMG_1389.png
IMG_1389.png (33.44 KB) Viewed 545 times

Intelligence is knowing how to say stop...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/24, 00:48

gfgh64 wrote:Personally, I don't understand anything : roll:

You have to understand that he is a teacher… so questioning is difficult or even impossible… : Cheesy:
0 x
FALCON_12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by FALCON_12 » 06/02/24, 10:11

The simple idea: instead of turning a thin propeller, I push back a solid disc which opposes the wind much more!

In the following diagram, visible here:
we see a wind turbine which sweeps a surface S and a vector V0 perpendicular to S, this is the wind.

On the right, a disk D with the same surface S but full is represented. This disk is like the wind turbine opposed to the wind.

Let us assume that the wind turbine produces each duration T, an energy E1.

Let us also admit that for the same duration T the disk pushed by the wind moves backwards
at speed V1 over a length d and we can recover the energy that the work of the force F which
grows product. This work, therefore this energy, is worth E2=dF

Without doing any calculations Which of E1 or E2 do you think is greater?

Here are some screenshots of trailed wind turbines that really interested me some time ago.

The author, Pascal Ha Pham, if I'm not mistaken, tried different ways
to extract energy from the wind by opposing it with a surface which recedes in front of it and provides work.

At the time, doing this seemed to me, like all the contributors here except one (if it were that simple!)
spontaneously (or “intuitively”) thought it to be the most efficient way to harvest wind energy
and I had thought of another form of mechanics that could do this.

However, before I started making it, a little voice told me “first estimate the yield of the thing!” ...

Judging that this would be an interesting exercise in mechanics involving some pretty mathematics and
modeling a real phenomenon (which I really like doing) I did the calculations.

Having done so, I therefore gave up working on my system since the maximum yield is disappointing. The wind turbine
conventional, for reasons that I am painfully learning to imagine, and to my total amazement, does better.

Last edited by FALCON_12 the 06 / 02 / 24, 10: 17, 1 edited once.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/24, 10:15

Are we diverting the subject? : Cheesy:

Pascal Ha Pham has an account here...but he doesn't come here anymore, I don't know why: pascal-ha-pham-u2032/

He's a friend of Remundo...Hey Remundo, could you tell him to come back from time to time?

We were talking about his robiplan in...2008 here: science-and-technology/bi-plane-rotating-wind-turbine-robiplan-t4872.html

ps: please use the Attachments function for your images, it looks cleaner...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/24, 10:18

Pascal also invented a trilobal machine: science-and-technology/rotary-machine-with-tri-lobic-annular-piston-t1455.html it's even older...2006...
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."