Is the US paying the Kyoto Protocol?

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Is the US paying the Kyoto Protocol?

by jean63 » 16/01/07, 08:58

Cold and snow never seen in the East of the USA; in California: 2 ° c, in Colorado: 45 cms of snow, ...... etc .... 29 dead, state of emergency in Oklahoma => : Evil:

read the article

Maybe that's what awaits us in February? : Evil:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 16/01/07, 09:27

It is, in my opinion, fortunate that the US is severely affected by climate change.
Given their propensity to ignore royally (as Ségo would have said : Mrgreen: ) everything that happens outside their borders. I think that only major manifestations of disruption in their territory will be able to change their policy to fight against the greenhouse effect.

In general, you turn off the tap faster when you yourself have your feet in the water than when you see your neighbor drowning. And this is especially true for the autistic government of the US
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 17/01/07, 05:52

It seems to me that it is rather related to El Nino...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 17/01/07, 10:10

And it continues ==>
natural disaster in missouri
It seems to me that it is rather related to El Nino ...

It is certain, but there is perhaps also a beginning of manifestation of the consequences of warming ==> disturbances in ocean temperatures?

This may be what awaits us from next week: Météo France announces a very significant drop in temperatures from Monday !!! : Evil:

I think that only major manifestations of disruption in their territory will be able to change their policy to fight against the greenhouse effect.

I do not believe it; they have already suffered catastrophes such as cyclones, tornadoes (here we can consider the phenomenon normal except that last year or in 2005 rather, there were many more cyclones and much earlier than usual) which destroyed New Orleans, a few oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico (and some very expensive ones because they will drill in the deep seabed - 2000 meters I believe, to be checked - and it cost them dearly to repair them ... etc). Each time they always get up in order to continue to operate their energy-consuming society system.

Maybe Bush's successor in 2008 (Hilary Clinton or the black senator named ?? or Al Gore, but he won't show up because Hilary is going to go).

Frankly, I don't see them changing their standard of living and energy consumption any time soon. : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:
Last edited by jean63 the 17 / 01 / 07, 10: 20, 1 edited once.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 17/01/07, 10:13

Woodcutter wrote:It seems to me that it is rather related to El Nino...

I think (and the various analyzes of meteorologists that I have heard confirm this) that the climatic events in the US at the moment are indeed due to the conjunction of global warming and "el niño".

Now, whether it is due to an attack of the Xymox, to the farts of my grandmother or to a conspiracy of the Freemasons, is not, for the subject, important: the main thing is that thanks to these phenomena weather, American policy on global warming may evolve in the right direction and that is really positive.

LONG LIVE EL NIÑO!!!
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 17/01/07, 10:22

Targol and Lumberjack :
I added some text in my post above. What do you think of what I write?
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 17/01/07, 10:59

jean63 wrote:I do not believe it; they have already suffered catastrophes such as cyclones, tornadoes (here we can consider the phenomenon normal except that last year or in 2005 rather, there were many more cyclones and much earlier than usual) which destroyed New Orleans, a few oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico (and some very expensive ones because they will drill in the deep seabed - 2000 meters I believe, to be checked - and it cost them dearly to repair them ... etc). Each time they always get up in order to continue to operate their energy-consuming society system.

Maybe Bush's successor in 2008 (Hilary Clinton or the black senator named ?? or Al Gore, but he won't show up because Hilary is going to go).

Frankly, I don't see them changing their standard of living and energy consumption any time soon. : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:

An extraordinary phenomenon which recurs becomes a normal phenomenon. Based on this premise, the US leaders who would have qualified the events of 2005 as exceptional can no longer make the same speech this year.

In addition, this year I heard US "official" voices worrying about these disturbances which had not been the case before.

Let's get along well. I don't imagine that the United States will change overnight
  • their Mc Do against vegetarian restaurants,
  • their Hummers against horse-drawn carts,
  • their greed for material goods in voluntary simplicity.

No, what I'm saying to myself is that at one point or another, like all of us, they will have to question this consumer society that the planet can no longer support. These climatic events will perhaps help that this process begins a little earlier which will perhaps make the difference between the extinction of the human race and its survival ...

When we realize every day that the US is a separate state, which does not recognize any authority outside its sovereignty (*), we say to ourselves that if the United States starts to make efforts in the right direction, d others, who previously hid behind them to do nothing, will follow.

(*) See how little the US pays attention to UN resolutions that do not go in their direction. In fact, the US does recognize a few international organizations: those they totally control (WTO, IMF, etc.).
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 17/01/07, 11:33

Targol :
Completely agree with your analysis.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 17/01/07, 22:05

What makes me say that the behavior of a number of Americans may change is that a few large cities (or even states?) Have decided on their own to implement the Kyoto protocol. It's better than nothing, although they would have to plan now for a fall of their energy consumption / GHG production.

Jean, you who read JMJ, what do you think of his analysis on the comparative “virtues” of Europeans and US inhabitants?
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/01/07, 00:11

Jean, you who read JMJ, what do you think of his analysis on the comparative “virtues” of Europeans and US inhabitants?

Frankly, I have not read everything nor his book (I have several in progress and I jump from one to another) nor his site www.manicore.com .

Can you tell me where he compares the USA to Europeans?

I would say that for the moment the Europeans consume less energy / person than the USA, and for the latter it will be difficult to accept driving in 2 CV when you have become accustomed to driving in American large displacement (the 2CV is an image). What I do know is that in California they are fans of the TOYOTA Prius; but when I look at the reports I only see "big" vehicles. My daughter is coming back, as well as some friends and they rented a big displacement car which consumes a lot, but my daughter said: "it does not cost more because they consume twice as much, but the gasoline is twice less. dear that in France ", so when you are in the US, you forget all these problems of heating and pollution; we are in the USA, everything is grandiose, from the landscapes to the vehicles and that's normal; one cannot conceive of the USA in any other way ..... for the moment.
Just look at the CO2 emissions, they are very much in the lead. : Evil:
0 x