Electric cars soon to be banned in parking lots?

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Electric cars soon to be banned in parking lots?

by Exnihiloest » 08/07/21, 17:32

"Following several incidents involving electric cars having caught fire while being recharged, and thus having set the garages in which they were set alight, an action was launched among our neighbors to the north to prohibit this type of vehicle in indoor parking lots and / or underground. "
"It also seems sensible that anyone who installs charging stations in a car park also invests in additional fire hoses, sprinklers and heat sensors, which of course entails additional costs" and also an ecological cost!

https://gocar.be/fr/actu-auto/electriqu ... s-parkings

This is what it is to want to move forward in the name of ecology and to rush headlong into alternatives to controlled technologies. It is to rush headlong into uncontrolled alternatives. And the precautionary principle? The same people who use it against the industry when it intends to bring us new products, remain silent when it comes to the technologies recommended by their little friends.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Electric cars soon to be banned in parking lots?

by Ahmed » 08/07/21, 18:31

That is an interesting subject *: I have just learned that electric cars do not fall under industrial manufacture. On the other hand, that they are not "ecological", that I already knew and I am not the only one in this case!
Not bad from someone who dreams only of change and advocates daring and taking risks (which made who we are, taa-taa) ...

* Subject or metastasis?
4 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Remundo

by Remundo » 08/07/21, 18:39

at the risk of not having very substantiated statistics, I fear that it was above all the Teslouilles who caught fire ...

good but without wanting to focus on Tesla ... do EVs really catch fire so often? eg out of 10 parked EVs and 000 VTs, how many of each catch fire in their lifetime?

However, should parking be prohibited even for VTs?

whether fire safety is required, it is obvious, VT or VE or whatever you want.

The very principle of a car, I recall, is called an AUTOMOTIVE: capable of moving by itself.

and to do this, it is forced to store a large amount of energy in a small volume. If this energy is released in an uncontrolled manner, every car is a little bomb in power, or minima an incendiary device.

here.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 08/07/21, 18:52

The problem with lithium batteries is that they can catch fire "spontaneously", unlike other energies. That said, underground car parks are prohibited * for LPG vehicles, but not for those running on CNG, go understand the logic!

*Edit: were prohibited when they did not have a safety valve, but it seems that nowadays, all LPG vehicles have one.
1 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 08/07/21, 19:27

Ahmed wrote:That is an interesting subject *: I have just learned that electric cars do not fall under industrial manufacture. On the other hand, that they are not "ecological", that I already knew and I am not the only one in this case!
Not bad from someone who dreams only of change and advocates daring and taking risks (which made who we are, taa-taa) ...

Advocate daring and risk taking, correct. But not only. All this only works with an essential already mentioned in the thread on counterproductive ecological measures, it is the Responsibility Law. We take responsibility for the consequences of what we advocate, and at least make amends when we mess up by promoting under-tested stuff. Boldness and risk-taking are reserved for those who take responsibility for their actions and their consequences.

Then, advocating daring and taking risks is general, not one-sided. When we spend our time complaining about automobile pollution, we are afraid of the slightest techno innovation such as GMOs, and we do not have the technical skills required on the subject, we do not allow ourselves to promote new technologies such as the electric car or methanization, the risks of which we know nothing about. If we do it, it is because we are not at all in a process of progress, but in a utopia or a process of demolition of the existing to put anything in its place.

Finally, of course that industrial manufacturing remains industrial even if it is to provide (supposedly) more "green". In this case, why regularly attack her and those who finance her, if it is to eat from her hand as soon as she manufactures your solutions? Again, neither honesty nor responsibility.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 09/07/21, 07:30

Here an article which seems to me to clarify things
July 2019

For the first time, this safety report includes fires in Tesla cars. While the manufacturer had already proclaimed that its electric cars were ten times less likely to catch fire than thermal cars, the brand now backs up its claims on statistics.

Since 2012, Tesla have caught fire every 270 million kilometers, against just over 30 million for the rest of the North American fleet, according to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association). However, again, these numbers are not really comparable since the fleet is older than the average age of Tesla.

The problem with electric cars catching fire is not in the frequency of these events, but in the difficulty of stopping their combustion. One of the methods found by firefighters is to immerse vehicles in skips filled with water, but it is tedious to say the least. Indeed, lithium-ion batteries are unstable and can catch fire after an accident and even catch fire after an intervention by the fire brigade.

If we consider that the lifespan of a car is 270000 km, the Tesla EV would have a 1 in 1000 chance of burning during its career, and the VT a chance in 111 according to this embryonic statistic.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/07/21, 08:37

So that "green" ideas can materialize at an industrial stage (oxymoron!), They must not be green in any way, so exit the question of responsibility and manifest false subject, breaking down of imaginary doors ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 09/07/21, 09:07

Personally…. My C zero is never stored indoors, it charges at night OUTSIDE…. I had too many small incidents with the old ones during the charges….
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 09/07/21, 09:47

The rate at which a battery fire breaks out is impressive and unpredictable:

But it is necessarily very rare since we hardly ever see it happen.
Another thread just to make the buzz?
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 09/07/21, 12:46

I have EVs since 2010

I have never had any electrical problems while recharging.

it can happen.

but you have to stop psychotic too.

charging outside is a reasonable precaution ... or not. In the event of a fire, of course, less damage, but water from bad weather can also create electrical problems. The batteries have nothing to do with it here.

Unless loading under a shed.
0 x