Short history of self-mobility and tire developments

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Short history of self-mobility and tire developments

by Christophe » 09/05/11, 16:21

Interesting little article taken from the book "All about the tire" published by Michelin in 2002 * about mobility and the history of the tire / tires, which ultimately remains a great unknown to the general public especially in relation to the fundamental role that 'he has in a vehicle (safety, traction, braking, steering ...) whatever the vehicle!

Keywords: Papin, Cugnot, Watt, Stephenon, Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop ...

The table on page 2, history of the massive hourly capacity to transport objects on the road, is particularly interesting.

I will make a subject with the other most interesting tables or diagrams of this book.

So the tire still this stranger? A little less thanks to these forums! : Cheesy:

*: Image

(necessarily a bit biased and commercial but it's not the debate)
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 09/05/11, 16:34

without forgetting that already mentioned on econology:
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 09/05/11, 16:48

This last heir no longer deserves the name of "tire" since it is not inflated by a gas. : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/05/11, 17:10

Ah well seen Gaston but if one quibbles on the semantics, then soon the automobile will have to be renamed since it is more and more automated see the Google Car robotized: https://www.econologie.com/forums/google-tes ... 10028.html and therefore without a driver, we can no longer speak of an auto-mobile ... am I wrong? : Mrgreen: Although auto it can also mean automatic ... : Cheesy:

However, the grelinette tire (not mentioned in the book because either not Michelin or not yet known in 2002) is environmentally friendly from the point of view of materials / tread! What is the% useful mass on a tire? A few%, 5% at most ... This aspect is not mentioned in the book, on the other hand there is a beautiful diagram on recycling that will be before your eyes shortly :)

Uh, if you have any other specific questions on tires, tell me because it's a library book I have to return this week.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 09/05/11, 17:25

It seems to me that the very old tires (40 years or more) were made with a much more durable rubber (therefore less commercially interesting because they wear less quickly!).

I have just recovered an old trailer made with an axle of a very old car which still had its original tires.

The trailer was stored in the open air with simple sheets placed on it to protect it from the rain and the tires were always inflated!

Image Image
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 09/05/11, 17:44

Christophe wrote:Ah well seen Gaston but if one quibbles on the semantics, then soon the automobile will have to be renamed since it is more and more automated see the Google Car robotized: https://www.econologie.com/forums/google-tes ... 10028.html and therefore without a driver, we can no longer speak of an auto-mobile ... am I wrong? : Mrgreen: Although auto it can also mean automatic ... : Cheesy:
Ethymologically, an object cars, it is an object that moves by itself.
As opposed to cars, trailers, ... which require a mechanical or animal (or even human) tractor.

Christophe wrote:Does not prevent the grelinette tire (not mentioned in the book because either not Michelin or not yet known in 2002)
It is a Michelin, but actually after 2002 (presented in 2005, I believe).

Christophe wrote:is environmentally friendly in terms of materials / tread!
I am not sure...
Finally, it is more or less a matter of cutting the mass of the sidewalls of a conventional tire into N "flat spokes", but does this reduce the total mass of the tire? :?:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/05/11, 09:41

For the mass of the tire, I don't know but the answer should be easy to find, grelinette can you remind us of the name of this tire? It is a hyperadial tire in short?

For "automobile" yes, but another approach is to see it vis-à-vis the driver: the driver is auto mobile (= himself mobile) thanks to the car he drives. If he hasn't driven it anymore, the notion of a car disappears, doesn't it? (except that it would also work because automatic mobile = automobile too). This is how I saw it ...

Ok i quibble but it was you who started : Cheesy:
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 10/05/11, 10:07

Christophe wrote:For the mass of the tire, I don't know but the answer should be easy to find, grelinette can you remind us of the name of this tire? It's a hyperadial tire in short
It's called "Tweel", I think.

I do not know if we can have the weight of the tire alone because it seems to me that the "rim" is part of the assembly presented by Michelin ("tire" and "rim" are not separable).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/05/11, 10:43

Ah? However, we can see a rim (about 10 inches?) On the photo ...

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweel is quite laconic:

Tweel, amalgam of tire (tire) and wheel (wheel), is a prototype tire designed by Michelin.

The base of the internal support is not air but flexible polyurethane spokes which support the tread: the tweel cannot therefore explode or burst.

However, there are still problems to be resolved (vibrations and noises at high speed) but the first applications for the military will begin. Another advantage would be better lateral hold, especially for low profiles.

The english version is (a little) more complete: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweel

It says:

only the tread around the circumference would be disposed of when worn as opposed to a whole tire, the environmental impact should be less.

And please bulletproof:

The Tweel can also withstand a police 'stinger' spike strip, which would force law enforcement to adapt in order to catch a suspect in a vehicle equipped with Tweels.

: Cheesy:

"Lunar" version:

0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 10/05/11, 11:01

Christophe wrote:Ah? However, we can see a rim (about 10 inches?) On the photo ...
There is indeed a "rim" in the center, but it is part of the product.

The Michelin site wrote :Made up of a rubber tread connected to the rim by flexible spokes, the Michelin TWEEL replaces the traditional tire-wheel assembly in a single product.

Regarding the mass compared to a traditional rim + tire assembly, there seems to be an advantage for the Tweel, but by how much :?:
0 x