Lifetime of hard disks according to Google

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Lifetime of hard disks according to Google

by Christophe » 19/02/07, 16:48

Small interesting article about the lifespan of hard drives ... too bad the results are so "vague" but we are used to Google ...

Google is certainly one of the companies with the most important IT infrastructures in the world. Thanks to its thousands of servers and the data they record, Google can provide some interesting information related to computer hardware. The firm has thus unveiled the results of a report ordered internally in relation to the lifespan of hard drives.

As a general rule, a user changes his hard disk every 5 years, unfortunately it sometimes happens that the hard disk which contains our precious (or not) data ends up failing before this period. Most of the time, "extreme conditions" of use (temperature too high, activity too high) are cited as the main reason for failure.

The Google study gives us more details on this. Presented at a conference on “files and storage technologies”, the firm's report to the big G concludes that a hard drive can give up the ghost for various and varied reasons.

Google currently has more than 450 servers, most of which use "consumer" hard drives with capacities ranging from 000 to 80 GB. Google's study has reportedly covered more than 400 disks that have entered in operation during or shortly after 100. These 000 or 2001 rpm discs are said to come from "various large disc manufacturers and group together nine main models".

http://www.clubic.com/actualite-69935-d ... oogle.html
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 19/02/07, 21:14

Personally I note that, the more sophisticated the technology, the more it becomes proportionally reliable, and it is very fortunate, pcq otherwise no more that no electronics manufacturer will have a customer.

that said:

[Size = 24]

Don't forget to backup, guys !!!! [/ size]
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 24/02/07, 18:58

as far as I'm concerned, the most important element is the brand, and I definitely banned seagate.
Indeed, I had 2 discs from them, baracuda model, and they did not exceed 2 years old, while an old quantum (10 years) and another maxtor (15 years) are still spinning. currently I have a maxtor again, 6 years already, and everything is going well.
0 x