Pierre Langlois: Driving without oil, Book excerpts

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 19/01/09, 02:41

From what I have read about this book (I have not read it yet), it seems that P. Langlois believes that the electric car with extended range (PHEV) is the best option.

"After publishing his first two books, On the road to electricity, volumes 1 and 2, Mr. Langlois identifies the future avenues for road transport in order to reduce dependence on oil. "
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/act ... lanete.php

"On the road to electricity": the title is already very positive;)

"The physicist believes that the electric hybrid car is the only viable solution for individual transport. It is a vehicle that will travel 80 percent electrically and 20 percent using biofuels. "
http://www.lesaffaires.com/article/0/tr ... ns.fr.html

I would like to know, from those who have read the book, if he studies in his book:
- the establishment of a network of charging stations and battery exchange stations.
- the environmental impact (biodiversity, pesticides, fertilizers), water, social and health of agro-biocarbs

Finally, I would like to know if he presents a comparative economic study between a PHEV-based economy and economy based on charging infrastructure + pure EV

If not, I bet his next book will be on the BetterPlace concept;)

NB - Here it is written:
"a certain optimism emerges from this fascinating analysis with its numerous and unexpected twists: the future will belong to plug-in electric and hybrid vehicles, light and aerodynamic, driven by wheel motors. "
http://portailenvironnement.ca/?p=1644

Assessment: what does P. Langlois say: EV or PHEV?

----------------------
"As for fuel cells, Pierre Langlois emphasizes that it takes three times more electricity to produce hydrogen than to run a fully electric car."
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/act ... lanete.php

Perfectly accurate. Hydrogen = dead end (huge waste)
-----------------------
"A reduction in meat consumption of 15% (one day per week) would allow a reallocation of agricultural land used for livestock that could be used to grow plants (non-food) to produce ethanol, according to Mr. Langlois. "

So there, I do not at all agree with this approach.
The urgency is to feed 6 and soon 9 billion men ...
And the combustion of ethanol is even more toxic than the combustion of fossil fuels!
Last edited by Elec the 19 / 01 / 09, 04: 30, 2 edited once.
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 19/01/09, 02:58

Chapter 2.3 of the book (thanks for the summary pdfChristopher):

"Electric cars are 5 times more efficient"

It reminds me of the thread "The car of the future" or my "4 times more effective"already aroused reactions of indignation and anguish from a speaker. With a factor of 5, it's a heart attack! : Cheesy:
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 19/01/09, 10:15

Elec wrote:Chapter 2.3 of the book (thanks for the summary pdfChristopher):

"Electric cars are 5 times more efficient"

It reminds me of the thread "The car of the future" or my "4 times more effective"already aroused reactions of indignation and anguish from a speaker. With a factor of 5, it's a heart attack! : Cheesy:

me too elec, I am convinced that the elec car (EV or PHEV) is a good solution for the future but to say that it is 5 times more efficient, is to give sticks to be beaten.
it is true only from the tank to the wheel, and again it is exaggerated, it is actually rather 4 times and in urban mode.

it must be said that electricity and a energy vector and not an energy. energy, it has to be drawn somewhere and converted into electricity.
if the primary energy is petroleum, the returns from the well to the wheel are similar between thermal and electric. the advantage of electric is that we can use a mix of energy upstream (including renewable.

in short, so giving figures without saying what we are talking about only brings about the controversy and is in my opinion anti-productive
0 x
Click my signature
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 19/01/09, 16:50

Hello Dirk,

It is scientifically perfectly correct to say, like the physicist Pierre Langlois, that an electric car is 4 or 5 times more efficient than a thermal car.

if the primary energy is petroleum, the returns from the well to the wheel are similar between thermal and electric.

40% * (central) x 95% (transmission) x 90% (VE) = 34%

34%> 20% (thermal car in conventional use)

* Note that a combined gas power plant with an electrical efficiency of 60%
http://www.axpo.ch/internet/axpo/fr/med ... twerk.html
60% x 95% x 90% = 51,3%

In addition, the French mix is ​​no more 100% fossil than the European mix or the global mix.
Last edited by Elec the 19 / 01 / 09, 17: 01, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/01/09, 16:59

If we take the worst point of efficiency of a car with a thermal engine (5%?), Yes we can speak of 4 to 5 times more efficient for an EV from well to wheel.

But on average and in practice: a coef of 2 times at most is a value that I consider correct ... and maximum possible for EVs.

Unless you feed your EV, even partially, by a delocalized and clean source and, even if it is only partially, it boosts the balance sheets on the "well to the wheel" ... and those of CO2 as well.
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 19/01/09, 17:03

From pump / outlet to impeller:

Thermal car: 18% (in conventional, ordinary use)
Will-type electric car (motor-wheel, rightly dear to Pierre Langlois): 90%
Factor: 90/18 = 5
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/01/09, 17:05

Yes but it is not well at the wheel these yields ... : Cheesy:

So EV is good, problem: where can we buy it? :?
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 19/01/09, 17:08

From the "well" (or better from the roof;)) to the wheel:

- thermal route: less than 18% (losses from the well to the pump to be taken into account)

- electrical way: 51% with gas cycle; 34% with a coal or other fuel plant

Conclusion: 2 factor at 3 of difference.

So EV is good, problem: where can we buy it? ;)
The Think is on sale in Norway.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 19/01/09, 17:10

dirk pitt wrote:it must be said that electricity and a energy vector and not an energy. energy, it has to be drawn somewhere and converted into electricity.
if the primary energy is petroleum, the returns from the well to the wheel are similar between thermal and electric. the advantage of electric is that we can use a mix of energy upstream (including renewable.

in short, so giving figures without saying what we are talking about only brings about the controversy and is in my opinion anti-productive

Dirk is absolutely right.

X times more effective means nothing: criteria and a context of use comparable (as much as possible) between 2 solutions, and take into account the entire energy chain.
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 19/01/09, 17:12

When we write, like Pierre Langlois, "the car electric is 5 times more efficient than the car thermal ", we clearly specify that we are talking about car, and implicitly the efficiency of the pump / wheel outlet.
Last edited by Elec the 19 / 01 / 09, 17: 17, 1 edited once.
0 x