Reviews of installing a fireplace

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
nightrow
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Reviews of installing a fireplace

by nightrow » 28/01/08, 22:26

For a long time, my parents have had an insert, ie a fireplace provided with the insert during the construction of the house.

It would seem, however, that the workers did not correctly mount the chimney, since it was an exhibition model for which the instructions and certain parts seemed to be missing (no certainty on this side, this is what my parents remember).

I made an explanatory diagram:
- The front is light green
- the host in dark red.
- A system is provided to bring outside air from below.
- a sort of "double wall" is visible in the green area (which rises parallel to the insert upwards)
- there is of course a window in front to close the insert.
- there is a slide to open or close the smoke duct + one to adjust the amount of air entering from below.

My questions are:
- What can the outputs indicated by "?" (visible when looking through the ventilation holes in the hood)?
These holes are not directly visible by putting the head in the chimney, so there is a double wall which I seek to know the usefulness.
- There is also a targette so the utility is unknown ...

I would like to avoid that in insert mode, with the flue almost closed, more or less toxic gases come out through the pipes "?" and spread throughout the house.

Your opinions on the assembly and the potential improvements to be made to make it work optimally (as it should what ...) are welcome!

I'll take you a picture as soon as I come back to my parents :D
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/01/08, 23:04

Uh I did not think that you could mount an insert upside down since (for me but I can be wrong) an insert always had a side with a door?

Where is the double wall of which you speak, it would not be to make the post combustion?

I think that the 2 holes are simply made to adapt to other chimneys ... for example with a bend on the left or on the right ... or to increase the draft if necessary ...

How do you think it doesn't work "well"?
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 28/01/08, 23:33

apparently you have a bodied insert. air passes between the heating body and the external body and leads to your 2 holes. you can connect aluminum ducts to distribute this hot air in other rooms.
is there a name, an acronym or a logo on your insert?
where is the misty targuette?
Last edited by Philippe Schutt the 28 / 01 / 08, 23: 36, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/01/08, 23:35

Ah well nothing beats the advice of a pro !!
Thanks Philippe!
0 x
nightrow
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by nightrow » 29/01/08, 19:00

I updated the drawing:

- in "1" we find the unknown bolt
- in "2" we find the setting to open or close the flue

By activating the "1" you can see through the holes in the hood rods moving without being able to guess the usefulness. I will also try to take a photo of this part this weekend.

Thank you otherwise, your definition of a bodied insert seems to me indeed to correspond to what we have.
0 x