hydraulic ram pump: design and manufacture home

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/05/08, 19:47

ppf63 wrote:my first question is: What is the difference between the assembly with a balancing chimney and the assembly without?

Hi and welcome,

I think that the assembly with the chimney is more "stable" over time ...

ppf63 wrote:the second is: if your penstock is 160mm in diameter and 15m long with 2,70m drop height, how high can the water passing through the ram be raised?

Yes more than enough, I self-quote:

Christophe wrote:As long as we are here again the 2 curves.

Sizing diagram:

Power diagram (yield):

It's just not clear which ram technology this corresponds to. I guess the "self-built" rams are slightly below the perf level ...

According to the 2nd graph you will be able to raise water between 15 and 20 m - or between 17 and 18m depending on the internal losses - with a "pumped" flow rate of about 1/10 that which passes through your pipe (i.e. not bad in 160mm).
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 06/05/08, 11:26

Hello,
so yes I had thought of something at the time:
drive the ram to a depth of 1 meter in the river!
yes funnel grid + condutie that goes down ... over 1m if you want to go up 10m.
yes it is necessary to raise the water discharge to the open air because this is where the air enters it;

and that should do it ?!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/05/08, 11:40

No it will not work, because as Gegyx rightly said, the evacuation must be at atmospheric pressure in other words: there must be a pressure delta of at least 1m between the internal pressure of the ram the evacuation .

In your case 2 cases:

a) or the ram is submerged and nothing will happen.

b) either it is in a non-flooded hole (a cylindrical dam in fact :D) but this hole may quickly fill up with the 70% unpumped water in each cycle ... so it will work for a few hours ... unless the ground allows a rapid evacuation of the water. In this case only, the idea is to ... dig :D
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 06/05/08, 16:14

no, but precisely christophe: the ram is submerged to him but the evacuation pipe is brought to the surface! via a long pipe what!

instead of putting a moderately long pipe under the strainer, it is necessary to put one of the height of the submerged ram ?!

Wouldn't that be good?
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 06/05/08, 21:52

: Arrow: My grandfather's ram was placed in a 1m deep sump and collected water from a "fountain" (a natural artesian well). It was not submerged and the "excess" flowed through a drain into the small stream nearby.

The valve consisted of leather washers which disintegrated over time ... :| I sometimes accompanied my grandfather when he inspected his ram ... He systematically purged the bell as we also did on the toilets equipped with "whirlwind" flushing.

The last time I saw the ram, last summer, it was hanging out in the cellar ...
I could not say if it was full ...

The farm was equipped with running water since the beginning of the century, thanks to this system, but I cannot say if the ram was original ...
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 07/05/08, 00:44

jonule wrote:no, but precisely christophe: the ram is submerged to him but the evacuation pipe is brought to the surface! via a long pipe what!

I am not convinced by the idea.
What matters is the difference in level between the strainer and the level
water at the location of the water catchment to supply the ram.
If the height difference is 1 m, by raising the strainer we
this height difference decreases by as much.

On the other hand, the assembly of the strainer interests me a lot.
Could you take a closer picture of it and possibly
a little diagram? For the moment I stumble on this little detail which
makes all the difference.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 07/05/08, 08:39

: Arrow: a small drawing would be welcome ...
The water rejected by the ram (that which served as driving energy, not that which is "pumped") must be discharged through a low point.

With my grandfather, the pumped water had gone up in a concrete cistern 15 or 20m higher.
The cistern being above the house, the draw-off points were fed by gravity.

For the record, the faucet was installed in the house a long time later. We preferred well water ...

Running water was intended for cows, oxen, and work horses which had automatic refreshments. : Mrgreen:
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 07/05/08, 09:35

Rabbit wrote:what matters is the difference in level between the strainer and the level
water at the location of the water catchment to supply the ram.
If the height difference is 1 m, by raising the strainer we
this height difference decreases by as much.

ah ok in this case ... it was an idea but not put into practice.
we did this last summer, I no longer remember how the strainer is machined but I think I put everything on my site? ...

it's just to boot in fact, but the system must already be operational ... it does not take from the video?
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 07/05/08, 09:36

Bonjour.

I see that what I said until then, is confirmed ...

Citrus, since your Grandpa had a hundred-year-old pump, which brought water up to 15-20 m, could you specify the difference in level between the start of the catchment water intake and the pump in the sump?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/05/08, 09:37

jonule wrote:no, but precisely christophe: the ram is submerged to him but the evacuation pipe is brought to the surface! via a long pipe what!

instead of putting a moderately long pipe under the strainer, it is necessary to put one of the height of the submerged ram ?!

Wouldn't that be good?

No it will not work !!! Since at the level of the ram discharge you will also have 1m of water, so a zero pressure delta ...

Now you can try if you like to dig :)
0 x