Wind: building a vertical axis wind turbine from A to Z

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
gromove
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by gromove » 04/05/07, 22:21

I have not read all the pages before, but I would like to tinker with a small wind turbine more symbolic than really efficient, with salvage parts (I have no cash to put, it's just for the pleasure of tinkering usefully ). The vertical axis wind turbine described on the first page seems simple to achieve, but I have big gaps in the electrical field ...
So, first question (I will go there step by step): imagine that I take a car alternator. What does it take me out as current? Alternative or continuous? Is there a need to adapt it? How to make the supplied current compatible with the sector, in order to inject it?
0 x
Laurent, 36 years old, married, 2 children, do-it-yourselfer.
There are no small gestures if there are millions of them!
"My photos, achievements and various activities are on My blog"
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 04/05/07, 22:32

Hello, the current leaving the auto alternator is continuous, between 12 and 14V approximately. After that, you will have to transform it into an alternative, either with a converter, or with the help of a recovery inverter for HS battery reasons (it is ...). On the other hand, with regard to the injection on the sector of your current, it is another pair of sleeves ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/05/07, 10:41

Philippe Schutt wrote:Be careful to be in a ZDE (wind development zone) otherwise you may have to dismantle your beautiful wind turbine : Evil:

Arg I was not aware of this ...

More information here for those interested:
http://carrefourlocal.senat.fr/lettre_hebdo/
Letter 232: http://carrefourlocal.senat.fr/lettre_h ... re232.html

But beware for individuals this "rule" is not necessarily valid for individuals since:

only wind turbines located within the perimeter of a wind energy development zone benefit from the obligation imposed on EDF to purchase the electricity thus produced.

-> So in auto production no problem ... except precisely the problem of storage (I doubt its ecological efficiency using chemical batteries ...)

According to its article L. 553-1, the construction of wind turbines, whose height is greater than or equal to 12 meters, is subject to obtaining a building permit.

So a priori up to 12m is it less regulated? Finally that's what I understand ... so 12 m is already a beautiful beast ...

ps: I think a specific topic on these "rules" should be created.
Last edited by Christophe the 07 / 09 / 09, 12: 13, 2 edited once.
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 05/05/07, 11:15

Christophe wrote:
According to its article L. 553-1, the construction of wind turbines, whose height is greater than or equal to 12 meters, is subject to obtaining a building permit.

So a priori up to 12m is it less regulated? Finally that's what I understand ... so 12 m is already a beautiful beast ...

ps: I think a specific topic on these "rules" should be created.

Hello,
A precision, this height of 12m means from the ground to the center of the nacelle or propeller pivot !!
This allows you to have "a beautiful machine" in the garden !!
Be careful though with the mandatory "declaration of work" in all cases !!
In addition I do not know if another rule does not apply in this case: "The device at the top of the mast must be inscribed in a cube of 4 meters of edge"

Obelix
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/05/07, 11:55

Yes Obelix, so it would be nice to create a specific style subject: French law and wind turbines, right?
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 05/05/07, 12:35

Christophe wrote:Yes Obelix, so it would be nice to create a specific style subject: French law and wind turbines, right?

Hello,

YES Christophe, but French law is so ambiguous that it is very difficult to answer in general.
Each case is specific and deserves a special study!
For example, if the municipality has a PLU the law is not the same as if it does not have one. If the area is classified the law is also different.
If we are in a "diffuse habitat" zone, it is not the same as in a "suburban" zone!
Not to mention the exceptions due to the quality of the occupant.
Example, I can personally assemble a 12 meter mast myself with 4 meter antennas without asking anything from anyone, but if I put a wind turbine I have the "declaration of work" to do and legally the mast must be assembled by a company !!

Hence the interest of knowing well the classification of its area and its municipality before attempting an installation that is out of the ordinary "classic"

Obelix
0 x
Céline OLERON
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

mini eole for a leisure center

by Céline OLERON » 13/06/07, 08:50

Hello,

I work on an ecological housing project with children.

I'm looking to build vertical wind turbines with water where can I find plans?

thank you to christophe for putting me in contact with the webmaster of mini éole.

@ +
0 x
Céline OLERON
Nature Animator : Idea:
Courbevoie
yanyan26
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by yanyan26 » 23/01/08, 20:36

Bonjour à tous

I have a wind energy manufacturing project

I planned to make it from a generator of a generator of 2500w 220v cheap 200 euros, that I would buy or not according to your advice.
By cons I do not know how fast the engine drives it to have this power

Is it possible to use a generator like this for the construction of a wind turbine? How fast should it spin
-I live in the Rhone valley where there is either the mistral or the south wind, in short the days without wind are rare.

If you can give me advice I am interested

Thank you in advance

A+
0 x
http://yanyan.26.free.fr/

Nature is a balance parfait.Si you know look good, it will reveal to you can be his secret.
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 23/01/08, 20:59

Hi yanyan

A generator generator is generally directly coupled to the heat engine
Its nominal speed of rotation is probably 3000 rpm
It is much faster than a wind turbine propeller (with vertical as well as horizontal axis)
A multiplication of the propeller speed will be necessary
2500 W, it is also a significant power, about 4m in diameter for a conventional wind turbine
In addition, do not expect to produce a regular current, in power as in frequency because the wind is variable
In short, this type of generator is not really suitable for this use
You can nevertheless search the net to find self-builds of this type
Last thing, information on vertical axis wind turbines is less easy to find
Good luck

A+
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 24/01/08, 00:06

0 x