Using glaciers as a source of electrical energy

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 27/03/10, 20:41

It is curious this megalomaniac (typically human) will to seek to exploit colossal energies before seeking to recover more modest energies ... and on a human scale.

More and more experts are suggesting that it is better to produce little and locally but in many places than the reverse.

Recovering the energy of a glacier is a bit like this project of seeking to recover the colossal energy of lightning!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 27/03/10, 22:17

Aaah, that's funny, yes lightning! Unfortunately, we cannot store this energy to use it when we need it. Always the same problem with electricity elsewhere. And it seems (I did not deepen) that many obstacles make it difficult (it's direct current) and the returns would not be terrible. If any of you know more ...
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 27/03/10, 23:21

Grelinette wrote:It is curious this megalomaniac (typically human) will to seek to exploit colossal energies before seeking to recover more modest energies ... and on a human scale.

More and more experts are suggesting that it is better to produce little and locally but in many places than the reverse.

Recovering the energy of a glacier is a bit like this project of seeking to recover the colossal energy of lightning!

Well agree with you, but you have to understand: the more energy is centralized the more it makes people dependent on large production companies, the same goes for water.
Making people energetically (or whatever) independent is not their "business".
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 27/03/10, 23:38

And by dropping the lightnings on a glacier ....

: Mrgreen:
Otherwise the blow of the glacier is not impossible.
Provide 2 anchors as sturdy as for a bridge and stretch 2 cables holding a treadmill with stakes that sink into the ice mat and that come out at the bottom of the chain).
(A bit like Christophe's water mill).
A huge overdrive and everything is played.
---
For the ambitious do the same with a mountain ... : Cheesy:
0 x
nanook
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by nanook » 28/03/10, 05:28

Well thank you, I finally found the answer to my question:

No, it doesn't exist at the moment.

So thank you for this clarification.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/03/10, 10:49

... but you know, on this forum there are plenty of subjects of great interest. Perhaps still much more "gigantic-colossal" than glaciers. For example, do a search for the word "Desertec".

[Edit] and it is true that the words of Grelinette are very common sense.

: Mrgreen: ... so since you decided to "pose here" should quickly find your happiness : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
Last edited by Obamot the 28 / 03 / 10, 10: 55, 3 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/03/10, 10:50

Grelinette wrote:It is curious this megalomaniac (typically human) will to seek to exploit colossal energies before seeking to recover more modest energies ... and on a human scale.

+1

... and to reduce its needs ....
0 x
nanook
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by nanook » 29/03/10, 06:19

The precise purpose of my research saw an exhibit on new sources of energy. After a spiritual search, I found the solar, the sea (where I had trouble finding information on the net and thank you to this site), and an old stuff that I find it hard to get on a show : the glacier ...

So thank you again to this site or as Obamot says I "will not", but I quickly find my happiness :D (it's going too fast to speak to the future ^^)
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 29/03/10, 15:22

In any case, recovering energy from glaciers is not renewable energy.
The highest station in the world has closed for lack of snow in Bolivia.
There are hardly any glaciers left in this country. Almost all the peaks are affected. So doing R&D to recover energy from a source that may no longer exist in 20 years :|
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...