MYRTLE Corsica store solar electricity into hydrogen

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Projéthée
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Projéthée » 12/01/12, 12:03

Question: can an oil-fired power plant also operate (via some adjustments) with methane? in which case the combination would seem much more relevant.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/01/12, 12:11

Yes we can but it would be less "class" for the image of Areva ... than to make 100% H2 electricity ...

Cuicui wrote:Hydrazine and peroxide are toxic.

Uh yes but most fuels or combustible gases are also ... in fact I do not know one which is not (from a certain dose) ...

: Cheesy:
0 x
sherkanner
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sherkanner » 12/01/12, 12:15

Conversion to methane, we still lose a few% of yield.
We add the amount of energy needed for storage (compression I suppose), and we lose even more. To see if the final energy yield is positive (if we add road transport still in there, we are definitely negative)
0 x
When we work, we must always give 100%: 12% on Monday; 25% Tuesday; 32% Wednesday; 23% on Thursday; and 8% on Friday
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 12/01/12, 12:16

Given the sunshine in Corsica, I wonder if concentrated solar power would not have been better indicated?
The project costs 21 million euros all the same!
We must all the same welcome the initiative in the hope that it will not be a simple window without future.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
sherkanner
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sherkanner » 12/01/12, 12:20

Certainly, but it would not have answered the problem of flexibility.
0 x
When we work, we must always give 100%: 12% on Monday; 25% Tuesday; 32% Wednesday; 23% on Thursday; and 8% on Friday
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/01/12, 12:44

Of course it is a showcase, but I prefer this one to others, like burying CO2 which will not solve anything ...

In addition for once we see something ecological and functional in France ... let's stop spitting in the soup! Obviously we can always find "less worse" ...
0 x
sherkanner
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sherkanner » 12/01/12, 12:50

Ah no, I salute this kind of initiative, it is not going against the grain, and that's already huge when you see the current policy (not only French for that matter).
On the other hand, I have a very tight path through energy lobbies (and they are powerful in France)
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 12/01/12, 12:56

Cuicui wrote:
sherkanner wrote:Mouaif, the production yield of hydrogen is quite low in general, about 25-40%. Efficiency cells (SOFC)

Heard a report on German Arte combine hydrogen with CO2 to make methane easier to store (in large gasometers) and can be fed into the grid or feed a power plant when needed.

To transport it, there is formic acid = HCOOH:

https://www.econologie.com/forums/electricit ... 10849.html

And, there they say that the storage of hydrogen in formic acid makes it possible to restore more than 60% of the initial electrical energy. And as it is EPFL we can hardly doubt it:
http://www.cleantech-alps.com/en/actual ... teur-0-274

Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne wrote:one liter of formic acid contains more than 53 grams of hydrogen, compared to barely 28 grams for the same volume of pure hydrogen pressurized at 350 bars.

The icing on the cake, the metal used during catalysis is just iron and not a rare and expensive metal.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 12/01/12, 13:46

It's amazing how you can spend lots of money on projects with low returns, compared to the simplest with the best return, cheaper !!!
photovoltaic -> hydrogen, or other fuel roughly equal to that of free spontaneous natural vegetation, stored spontaneously for free too, just to be picked up !!!!

Make oil or gas with algae in the sun is certainly more efficient and simple !!!! (exists functional).

Thus, we demonstrate that renewable is not profitable, goal of this kind of project.

To store, it is better store intense concentrated solar heat in Corsica underground (mirrors much cheaper than photovoltaics with better efficiency), it is free, for then converting it according to needs with good efficiency (because only one conversion) in the useful form, electricity to battery or gas.
This storage is a generalization at a higher temperature of what walk to www.dlsc.ca to heat with summer solar heat for winter, with better efficiency than the systems presented in the previous posts, because without useless conversions in different forms of energies, each one with bad yields which multiply !!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 12/01/12, 13:49

Absolutely. But rather storage in molten salt for Corsica!

By cons you can not carry your solar energy in the bags of your scooter ...
: Cheesy: : Mrgreen: (sacred Dédéleco ...)

So storage in formic acid still has its use ...
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."