Black traces under pellet boiler exhaust duct

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
gek
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Black marks under pellet boiler exhaust duct

by gek » 10/02/23, 08:50

Hello,

Thank you for your very informative discussions.

I leaned a little more on the installation and I noticed that my fucking heating engineer at the c*na made a junction between a flexible pipe which brings the oxidizer to the boiler and the conduit in stainless steel via a simple aluminum tape. He saved the cost of the adapter offered by okofen (25€) and was stingy on the length of the flexible hose which suddenly, under the effect of the tension, disconnected from the stainless steel conduit and torn premium.
So in the end my boiler uses the air coming from the garage and does not benefit from the direct suction of outside air, which probably explains the poor combustion and the presence of so much dust.

We'll see if it gets better when he comes to fix it.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/02/23, 10:11

Ah, that's important information.

Is the tear total or partial?

I don't think this affects the production of soot: you have what is called an air intake which will on the contrary impoverish the combustion and reduce the dust a priori. But hey, the adjustment of the richness on a pellet appliance should not be very precise...always with a large excess of air.

On the other hand, insufficient ventilation at the suction can explain the presence of drops of soot, which should have been sucked up by the suction at least in part...

Did you repair?

Did you put your hand on the vacuum when the boiler was running (before after the tape repair)?
0 x
gek
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gek » 10/02/23, 10:23

Hello,

No, I didn't fix it, I called the heating engineer and he's going to come and do it, with all the money I gave him I don't think I'm supposed to tinker with the boiler 3 months after it was commissioned.
Anyway, I'll be watching this closely.

The tear is partial but the connection is non-existent now, the tension was too strong to maintain the flexible in the rigid.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/02/23, 10:28

Yes you are right, you can take the opportunity to show him the stain on the lawn and ask him for an explanation. We'll see if he's as good as us! Ha ha ha!

How much did you pay for the full install if you don't mind?

With or without the silo?
0 x
gek
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gek » 10/02/23, 10:38

I'm sure he's worse than you.
He wanted to put me an 18kW boiler at first, I insisted on 12 and it's still too much, I would have to restrict it to 9 according to my sizing calculations.

It is not very expensive, however. I got it for 18500 with the silo of 2m45 by 1m85 charged 3500€. They had a good big week at 3.
He also installed solar thermal for me.

With the help, the boiler came back to me at €5500 including the silo, it was just the worst year to switch to pellets, I struggled like never before to find €500 per ton blown into the silo.
For solar it's always the right time, especially here in the deep south (Perpignan).

I also had 2,2 kWp of PV installed this summer. A big energy renovation of the house to finally put it on sale a few months later following a separation, it will benefit the buyers (hoping that I get my marbles back for resale).
1 x
gek
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gek » 10/02/23, 10:39

I had hesitated for a long time with a heat pump and I believe that this year the heat pump would have cost me less in heating than pellets, but I have high hopes that in the long term pellets will once again become competitive with heat pumps.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/02/23, 10:49

What a pity for this separation and the sale after so many green investments...because even if you "recover your marbles" you will never have the satisfaction of enjoying it...but hey, it will already give you an experience installation for a possible next one!

ps: yes for the CAP but it would have been only thanks to the tariff shield... which will gradually decrease...
0 x
gek
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gek » 10/02/23, 10:58

Yes I know and I am convinced that in the long term the pellet will remain much more stable than the elec.

Let's say that it allowed me to experience this transition and I will do it again better in my next house (I think I will stick to it myself for PV and solar thermal, it scared me before but after having seen working I tell myself that I should be able to do as well as them.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/02/23, 11:04

For the price of pellets, we have an old topic on the history: heating-insulation/pellets-and-wood-pellets-what-future-for-prices-t4682.html

Given the prices of PV, I'm not convinced that solar thermal will still be economically interesting in 2023 because it greatly complicates the installation... but if you installed it in 2022, it means you had done your calculations I think...

I'm not anti solar thermal, on the contrary, I have 65 m²... but installed in the 80s when the price of PV was 100 times higher than today!
0 x
gek
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gek » 16/02/23, 15:19

I had a lot of help (3000€ reimbursed on the 4100€ of solar thermal) and above all I find it sad to convert solar energy into electricity and then heat water, it's so much more elegant intellectually to convert directly into heat I find.

Without aids and in a purely economic logic, the PV associated with a balloon with the system that works well to redirect all the excess towards the balloon is the most profitable.

The heating engineer repaired the elbow, I removed the traces of soot on the ground, we'll see if it starts again.
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."