Clean nuclear energy, possible fast or distant dream?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 30/12/07, 17:15

Tagor wrote:
Cuicui wrote:In France, at the rate this research is going, you shouldn't have too many illusions.

the technology I was referring to is led by Toshiba ... and probably not in France

It is all the more unfortunate that French researchers were at the forefront in the field of magnetic necking. Thanks to the fine strategy of our decision-makers, they now work at Sandia, in the USA.
I did not know these works from Toshiba. Are they still thinking of releasing this technique in 2 years?
0 x
Tagor
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Tagor » 30/12/07, 17:36

Cuicui wrote:I did not know these works from Toshiba. Are they still thinking of releasing this technique in 2 years?

according to this article it would be even in 2008
http://www.linformaticien.com/Actualit% ... fault.aspx

Toshiba invents the "pocket" nuclear power plant
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 by Stéphane Larcher
The Japanese manufacturer plans to market them next year in Japan and the rest of the world in 2009.

With the exception of the name of the designer, the information has nothing to do with IT, but it seemed exceptional enough to us for us to publish it on our site. The Japanese manufacturer has just developed a new generation of small-sized nuclear reactors intended to supply buildings or residential areas. This new generator is approximately 6 meters by 2 in size and could radically change the energy supply systems for small communities, buildings, neighborhoods or businesses.
The production capacity is 200 kilowatt. This micro-reactor is based on a revolutionary technology which uses reservoirs of liquid Lithium-6, an isotope capable of absorbing neutrons. This reactor would be expected to be able to operate for about forty years and would be capable of producing electricity for 5 US cents per kilowatt / hour, or half of what is usually practiced.
In testing since 2005, Toshiba plans to install the first of its reactors in 2008 in Japan and should begin marketing in Europe and the United States in 2009.

0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 31/12/07, 18:02

Tagor wrote:This micro reactor is based on a revolutionary technology that uses liquid Lithium-6 reservoirs, an isotope capable of absorbing neutrons

Hello Tagor,
Thank you for the clarification. If neutrons have to be absorbed, then there is radioactivity and radioactive waste. Too bad the article does not specify what fuel is used.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/07, 18:44

And you think the ecologists (greenwar in the lead) will let this go? No way!! Install nucelar micro-power plant in the city center? Better coal according to their criteria ...

+1 for fuel ...

The commentary on the computer scientist is not bad:

No, Re-invent and not invent! Because it had been invented (on paper) in France in the 70s, maybe even the first works are from the end of the 60s. There was work done by EdF and a plan of a mini power plant. nuclear power for district heating in Paris and other agglomerations. We even spoke of power plants "in a pressure cooker" (expression of the time) to talk about these small plants. I saw a model of the project at the Saint Laurent des Eaux power plant in the mid-70s, when I was in college. Engineers advanced the fact that nuclear combustion creates heat, which creates movement according to Carnot's laws of thermodynamics, which drives an alternator to produce electric current that must be transported on a network that suffers losses to supply an electric heater that heats an apartment. The losses are enormous. (...)
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 31/12/07, 23:19

Bonjour à tous

These mini nuclear power plants are too top notch, this will make it possible to democratize the possibility of carrying out attacks even in the suburbs. In addition, we can even better distribute cancer and other irradiation and allow a more rational theft of fissile material to supply the black market. Can't wait for tomorrow that we can all enjoy it.

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 31/12/07, 23:44

I wonder what kind of nuclear fuel they use.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 01/01/08, 23:34

Cuicui wrote:I wonder what kind of nuclear fuel they use.

Hi Cuicui, hello everyone,

A priori, it is a fission technology:
- or uranium enriched in U235
- either fast neutron reactor (RNR) to fart U238 in Plutonium (the famous breeder)

What bothers me the most is written in Tagor's link:
"Unlike normal nuclear reactors, the Rapid-L has no control rods to regulate the reaction. Instead, it uses reservoirs of molten lithium-6 - an isotope that is effective at absorbing neutrons."

Already, no traditional control bars, not very reassuring ... but the neutron absorbers are Li6 ... : Shock:
Already, it is very expensive to obtain pure because it is present at 7,5% in terrestrial lithium ... But the most AMAZING is that it produces beforehand tritium, which is the worst filth: in the air, it becomes T2O, that is to say tritiated water, which humans can then ingest. I believe the half-life period is 12 years, so if it sets in your cells, the cancer will come quickly ...

I'm quite stunned by this technology ... who is the heating plumber who can handle such waste? And would this only be the normal operation of the reactor (shutdown, start-up, refueling, etc.)? :!:

And as Cuicui says, there is neutron that can activate the walls of the reactor: a few tons of long-lived waste to be dismantled, is it the joint ownership that will pay off after 40 years? Even selling the building, it will not be enough : Mrgreen: .

How can we wander like this when renewable energy is in abundance everywhere on Earth?
: Cry:
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 01/01/08, 23:39

I forgot ... In terms of communication, it will still be a big deal for Toshiba, a Japanese firm, to promote nuclear technology in the cellar in the land of Nagasaki and Hiroshima : Lol:
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 02/01/08, 09:54

Remundo wrote:A priori, it is a fission technology:
- or uranium enriched in U235
- either fast neutron reactor (RNR) to fart U238 in Plutonium (the famous breeder)

Thank you, Remundo, for the clarification.
It has long been proven that nuclear fission is far too dangerous a technique to generate electricity on earth. But the mafia that controls this juicy technique is not going to give it up overnight, even if other approaches exist, it has investments to pay off, no matter if it is at the expense of human health. It's like asbestos, much worse. It's cold in the back. It’s up to us not to let ourselves be. Especially since there are natural energies, which can possibly be supplemented by clean nuclear power.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/01/08, 10:06

Remundo wrote:How can we wander like this when renewable energy is in abundance everywhere on Earth?
: Cry:

Especially since I am almost convinced that the cost of installation and production related to kW and kWh respectively is less interesting with the mini-nuke than a wood cogeneration (striling or gasification) for example ...

Such research, it must be to make ... dream? And to think that for the pantone they do not put a cent ... when Cuicui talks about Mafia I think he is not far from the truth!

: Evil:
0 x