Need help putting LEDs on track spots

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
sophie
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Need help putting LEDs on track spots

by sophie » 12/03/12, 09:00

Hello,
I need help and advice to mount spotlights on rails (I am a DIYer but not an electrician).
So here I am, I want to put spotlights on rails in my living room because I cannot pierce my ceiling (floor / ceiling heating) but I want to transform the halogen lamps into LEDs for ecological and economic concerns.
I spotted a cable kit (only) from Paulmann (the smallest 150VA) + 6 spot sold separately and use 60SMD leds.

I dismantled the power supply unit (see photo) it is a very heavy coil however the power is displayed in VA on the packaging! This is contrary to what I could read on the led sheet. Can I use this power supply directly or do I have to change to an IP67 for example?

This last case raises my concerns:
- the inside diameter of the case measures only 15,3cm and the special led power supply 16cm. Can I make a wooden box? (Does the power supply get very heated?)
- I need help for the connection, I can remove the plate where the 2 "rods" are located. In my opinion I would only have to connect the 2 outputs of the 12V transformer to its rods which go directly to the rails. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me
and BRAVO for the site (a wealth of information !!)

0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 12/03/12, 11:41

Hello,
Risk of shrinking LEDs with unsuitable transformer which gives too much voltage at low power compared to its specifications.
The LEDs die quickly if a little overvoltage and therefore special power supply required.
It is necessary to measure the no-load voltage, then connected, to know if it is AC or rectified, for the transformer and also for the LEDs.
For halogens it is alternative, for LEDs without power supply inside, it is continuous.
So know the nature of your LEDs, voltage, understand well, etc ...

It is a good idea to buy before asking the seller to watch the system work in their store, if possible for hours, days and months.

You are almost the only woman active on econology !!

See Christophe in his shop with LEDs and read the forums on the LEDs on econology.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/03/12, 19:46

Explanation of why it is not recommended to use a VA transformer (or worse an electronic AC transformer) on LED bulbs: https://www.econologie.com/forums/transforma ... 10598.html

In LED, it is necessary to supply direct current (therefore DC supply) to have the optimum lifespan ...

Here are 2 special led models, in 20W https://www.econologie.com/shop/alimenta ... p-429.html and the same in 45W: https://www.econologie.com/shop/alimenta ... p-363.html
0 x
sophie
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by sophie » 12/03/12, 20:35

Thanks for his advice,
I thought it was necessary to change the power supply.

But suddenly, I still have my second part of questions

- the inside diameter of the case measures only 15,3cm and the special led power supply 16cm. Can I make a wooden case? (Does the power supply get very heated?) I don't have a false ceiling, I have to hang it on the wall in one way or another.
- I need help for the connection, I can remove the plate where the 2 "rods" are located. In my opinion I would only have to connect the 2 outputs of the 12V transformer to its rods which go directly to the rails. Am I wrong?

and I add a lol:
I want to put 6 led 60SMD GU5.3 (3W), the 20W power supply that you offer me is made for 6 3W lamps, should there be a margin or not?
It seems to me that the tests on these 60 SMD LEDs being rather conclusive (works well), is it still relevant?

Thanks for the advice and have a good evening
0 x
sophie
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Still little questions!

by sophie » 15/03/12, 19:43

coucou
does anyone have info to help me?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/03/12, 23:31

Hi,
Christophe would he be so kind to answer and confirm to the only woman on econology for her good quality lamps ???

The 20W power supply must be suitable and it must be avoided that it heats too much, by putting vents allowing the circulation of air by convection, above and below or on the sides and also by measuring the T inside the box, limited to 40 ° C to 50 ° C max.

The wood can be suitable if the T remains in these values ​​in reality, with good ventilation, not blocked by dust.

Avoid heating the LEDs, even a little, because much more fragile than the power supply, by this heat passing over them or by the rails, which allow to bring the 12V DC with the right polarity.
0 x
sophie
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by sophie » 16/03/12, 08:29

Thank you
I'm going to make a sort of shelf but with 2 closed sides story that we do not see the transformer. This way the heat can escape.

It only remains for me to know if the 60 SMD leds sold on the site are really worth it.
My work is scheduled for May.
I'll let you know!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/03/12, 08:37

Nothing to add dedicated!

Ah yes: she is not the only woman! She is the only woman active at the moment, nuance!

Hey then who knows? You may be full of female fans on econo but who remain anonymous! : Cheesy:

sophie wrote:It only remains for me to know if the 60 SMD leds sold on the site are really worth it.
My work is scheduled for May.
I'll let you know!

You think about this product: https://www.econologie.com/shop/ampoule- ... p-358.html ?

These are quality bulbs and are guaranteed for 2 years.

But I thought you already had the bulbs? I misunderstand.

If you want, you can read a test test on these bulbs here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/test-essai ... 10087.html

(this is the GU10 version but apart from the base it is strictly the same as the MR16 version)
0 x
sophie
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by sophie » 16/03/12, 09:21

yes it was his bulbs that I had seen.
I don't have them yet
I just want them to replace halogen bulbs.

Thank you for all of these very helpful tips.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/03/12, 09:35

Ok I didn't understand that!

Do not hesitate to read the SMD test in detail and thank you in advance for your possible order on the site store!
0 x