First lawnmower with Lithium-ion battery

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/07/09, 19:16

Ah great you have the capacity to accumulate ...

Because at the price of the mower and the price of the batteries I wondered a while ago if buying such a mower for the batteries and using them for something else would not be interesting ...

But by the number ...

Gardena 380 LI
LI-ION battery: 25 V, 3,2 Ah

... it seems that this is a little fair.

To answer your question, I think you can do an estimate via energy and compare it to a "thermal" mower that would have "produced" the same mechanical energy.

So in gardena you have 25 * 3.2 Ah = 80 Wh of stored energy, it's really little.

A 3 HP mower (= 2200 W mechanical) "would produce" these 80W.h in ... 2200/80 = 27.5 seconds !! In short 30 seconds thoroughly!

Are you on battery numbers there?

For me it works "well" with lawns already mown ... golf style ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 13/07/09, 23:02

Christophe wrote:Ah great you have the capacity to accumulate ...

Because at the price of the mower and the price of the batteries I wondered a while ago if buying such a mower for the batteries and using them for something else would not be interesting ...
I had asked myself the same question, which was the purpose of this topic.
It concerned the "ROTAK LI" mowers from Bosch.
After long research, I was able to hold the batteries in my hand:
36V---2.6Ah 93.6Wh
I came to the same conclusion as you: unusable elsewhere (in a VAE for example. : Cry:

Regarding your calculation I must tell you that the cordless mower motors are far from being as powerful:
1 / The mowers are to be pushed (they are not self-propelled).
2 / Cutting widths are limited (37 and 42cm depending on model, at Bosch)
3 / The powers are modest (250 or 300W I think).

I read something about someone who made an eBike with a Bosch "reclaim" mower motor.
0 x
fthanron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fthanron » 14/07/09, 00:09

Thank you for your answers.

For the Brill, I had not found in the previous post.
From this page: http://www.leroygauthier.be/produit/det ... ccu24v.htm is 2,6 Ah!

For the Gardena, from this page: http://www.materiel-jardinage.fr/tondeu ... cb44fd4c4e , that's 25 volts 3,2 Ah.

Bah, I am very happy to have your opinions because at home the dandelions are more numerous than the tender lawn of an international green ...

So, for a 500 / 600m² standard surface, what would you recommend to me as affordable? I saw nothing in electo-stirling, nor in pantonized in the trade : Evil: Otherwise maybe an assembly that I could test by myself which is not mechanic for a round (I am motivated if not too expensive!)?

@+
0 x
Frederic
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/07/09, 12:12

if the goal is only ecological do not put the battery in the lawn mower

keep your petrol lawn mower and put a charger on the 220v to charge the car battery on the mains, and disconnect the alternator: every day on each trip the petrol engine will have less energy to supply, and the fuel economy will be much higher than what the mower consumes

there are a lot of savings at the end of the candle to do with a car battery: like cutting the alternator when the engine is running and only running when you want to slow down
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/07/09, 12:32

The most radical way to pollute less with a mower: do not mow!

Exactly, I let most of my "meadow" flower (it is no longer a "lawn"); I mow a few passages to go to the jadrin, the massifs, the éta, dage; also the location of the garden table, also under the spreading, etc ... AND I let it bloom elsewhere. Now that the grass is dry, I cut all at once with the roto-thread; it grows back with low flowers (like trefoil, clovers, etc ...) So two seasons of flowers ...

The idea that an English lawn is beautiful is ... an idea! If it is a golf course, I understand the usefulness ... Otherwise ??? Biodiversity (there are some who go as far as weeding!) ??? Colors ???

I bet you that there are some who consume "organic" (because classic agriculture pollutes, does not respect nature ...) but carefully mow their lawns every weekend ??? Here, I have the impression that I am being looked at strangely ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/07/09, 12:34

citro wrote:Regarding your calculation I must tell you that the cordless mower motors are far from being as powerful

Yes of course! But I made this comparison to compare the actual cutting work done compared to a 3Cv thermal mower ...

The traction power compared to the power used by the blade must be 5 to 10% no more.

So the comparison is good I think.

fthanron wrote:So, for a 500 / 600m² standard surface, what would you recommend to me as affordable?

Do like us: don't mow most of your lawn! : Cheesy: Unless you are in a neighborhood of consumerist extremists who force mowing ... :frown:

We only maintain the 10 m which are the most visible from the road! Behind, it is the "bush" ...a (semi) wild garden, full of butterflies and grasshoppers, it's great!
Last edited by Christophe the 14 / 07 / 09, 13: 54, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/07/09, 13:53

Ah we posted did67 together! We could have a wild garden competition between the members of forums. Zen think what? : Cheesy:

fthanron wrote:For the Brill, I had not found in the previous post.

Ah, I hadn't seen: these are "helical" blade mowers (I don't know the exact name) which consume much less than conventional "helicopter" blade mowers ...

We have one to push ... do not hope to cut more than 2 or 3 cm with one pass and must go back 4 or 5 times in the same place to achieve a "clean" mowing.

This kind of mower is very good for maintenance when we do it regularly ... which is not our case!

The Bosch electric mower I was thinking of is a "classic" blade.

In general I think that, when you can do without it, it is better to avoid batteries. Or if you have a long enough extension: pkoi not to take a mower on sector?

We have a flymo on an air cushion for the part we are servicing, it costs around 100 € (less during the sales). Mowers on batteries can never be profitable (econologically) in comparison ... but must have a large extension ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/07/09, 16:59

of course not mowing at all is the most radical economy

alas with the classic mower if you don't mow often enough you can no longer mow at all

I like the mower mower: alas we 'see more simple model in the trade

I found a small motor mower in a flea market: 2-stroke 2hp aspera engine, 1m wide cutter bar

the tooth cutter bar consumes much less power than the helicopter mower: the engine at idle is more than enough to advance with great stride in any tall grass or brush

it requires so little power that the 2-stroke engine consumes very little: maybe an electric motor and a battery would be suitable, but I prefer to leave this machine in its simplicity and put batteries where it is more useful
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/07/09, 18:22

Well spoken chatelot, would you have a picture of your motor mower?

Hey did67, I start the "hostilities" of the "Wild Garden Contest":

0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/07/09, 19:01

not even need to get it out of my heaps of junk scrap google finds me a photo the first time

http://images.google.fr/images?gbv=2&hl ... 20&ndsp=20
it's a small ad closed because already sold but the image is still in google

the motor mowers currently sold are too expensive

I wonder if I should try to make something simple ...
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"