First lawnmower with Lithium-ion battery

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

First lawnmower with Lithium-ion battery

by I Citro » 20/03/07, 23:22

Behind the product, it is the trend that is interesting.
The electric mower department at "casto" has exploded, with now as many electric models as thermal. 8) And, a great novelty is the cordless mower!
While it is pleasant to see this quieter, odorless, and ESSENTIAL product arrive, it remains to be hoped that technology will expand to chainsaws, hedge trimmers ... and hope that manufacturers will offer "universal lithium-ion pack" at competitive prices!
This mower which is not given (600 € with 2 batteries) seems to sell "like hot cakes". : Shock:
Such an expense for an object that only serves 6 to 8 months or about 10 hours per year is not an economic or rational purchase ...
It would be if the battery could be used on several devices of various uses, including of course an electric bike! : Mrgreen:
But there I dream ...
More seriously, if anyone could find the detailed features of the beast:
- engine power,
- motor type, (ca, cc) rotation speed ...
- battery power in Ah
just to check if my idea holds water ...
The manufacturer being very discreet in its Press Releases of 10/01/2007 on global innovation for lawn mowing: Bosch Rotak 43 Li and Rotak 37 Li - The first Lithium-Ion battery mowers
0 x
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 28/03/07, 08:59

Hey, pq not to use vegetable oil in our mowers?

Some do it for their car but there, it immediately demands a more important source of supply than the qq liters used per year / mower, right?

Any info on that?
We look forward to seeing you!
Dreamer
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 28/03/07, 11:18

The mowers have a gasoline engine (2 or 4 stroke)
HVB is suitable for diesel engine not engine
petrol.
It is therefore not possible to refuel a mower with HVB.

Except, maybe distilan this one. But the ca becomes immediately
more complicated and ecologically difficult to justify.
0 x
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 28/03/07, 11:34

There is no natural equivalent for petrol engines?

OR is it ethanol?
But not an ethanol mower?
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 28/03/07, 16:33

dreamer wrote:There is no natural equivalent for petrol engines?

OR is it ethanol?
But not an ethanol mower?

if it is ethanol but prohibition to add orange juice and ice cubes : Evil: otherwise the lawn is more mowed straight : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 28/03/07, 18:32

Banana !! : Cheesy:

Note: it can thus become gardening art;)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/03/07, 19:55

Husquavarna already has a model of a solar robot mower ... bosch and casto are lagging behind ... : Mrgreen:

But hey it must be worth more € 2000 than € 600 ...

Fool me, it is not worth 2000 € but 4000 $ ... : Mrgreen:

http://www.automower.com/
Last edited by Christophe the 14 / 07 / 09, 12: 37, 1 edited once.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 31/03/07, 14:48

Christophe wrote:Husquavarna already has a model of a solar robot mower ... bosch and casto are lagging behind ... : Mrgreen: /

It's pretty crazy as a machine ...

My thinking focused on the generalization of wireless electrical devices with increasingly higher powers and more and more sophisticated batteries.

My dream would be to "standardize" some of these high-end (and expensive) batteries in order to use them intensively by multiplying their applications, in particular to light electric vehicles such as bicycles or tricycles, or even to scooters, quads or cars without a license ... :?:
By pushing the reasoning further, we could also imagine solar collectors or residential wind turbines which would ensure the recharge and allow their use as autonomous power supply or inverter for our computers ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 17/03/08, 21:41

After very long unsuccessful searches on the internet I was able to glean today the following information on the batteries fitted to the BOSCH ROTAK LI cordless mowers.

I remind that they are equipped with Lithium Ion batteries not to be confused with LiPO or LiFePO4 technologies of more recent design and difficult to manage (risk of ignition, even explosion).

I therefore noted on a battery the following information:
D 70771 LEINFELDEN-E
Li Ion 10IMR 18 / 65-2
36V---2.6Ah 93.6Wh
Ref: 2 607 336 107
Made in Poland S78404T 2007

For information I was able to obtain these data on a mower deposited in an after-sales service with the following failure: "starts, runs for 5 minutes then stops, restarts an hour later, runs for 5 minutes then stops ..."

Is this a common breakdown on these mowers, is it due to the accumulator and to these numerous safeties ???

In any case, this information puts an end to the purchase of one of these mowers for the use of batteries on an electrified bicycle.
Indeed, around 200 € the Li Ion 36V 2.6 Ah pack, we should be able to find a better capacity / price ratio (about 2 € / Wh), right?
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 18/03/08, 08:32

Battery mowers have been new for (at least) fifteen years.
I have a Black & Decker GRC 840 mower purchased in 1995, its Yuasa lead acid battery is original and it must have lost 20% of its capacity, no more. Autonomy is about 1/4 hour.
At the time there were other battery mowers from Wolf, Viking, Black & Decker and Japanese brands. At Wolf there was a model with Ni-Cd batteries. These mowers had the disadvantage of less power and low autonomy while costing about double their equivalent in thermal hence the commercial failure.
I have experience with thermal, sector and battery mowers and I can say that the battery mower is the best (great say some). The use of Li-Ion batteries is certainly a big step forward since the lead-acid battery makes the mower much heavier and the autonomy and power could be more important. There remains the problem of price.
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"