Internet advertising: the free content ...

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.

Do you use an ad blocker?

You can select 1 option

Consult the results
Christophe

Re: Internet advertising is free content! Let this be clear!

by Christophe » 27/02/16, 10:55

Did67 wrote:Targeting, we can talk about it: I have just seen a pub go by for electric heating (I have a pellet stove and fights electricity with electricity and its peaks consumption), for diesel (I run LPG) , and for gas tank ... Just there, connecting me.

So this argument does not convince me. But in my weekly, I have ads for cars that do not make me dream, perfumes (but I have more ambition on the side of spoule luxury), fashion (for more than 30 years, I wear the same jeans - I mean the same model) and what do I know ... sometimes banks ...

Well you say yourself that it's already more targeted than the ad that you're used to seeing, so already a good point, right?

Google targets advertising in 2 ways (known and acknowledged ... There are certainly others)
a) In relation to the content of the page (analysis of keywords, especially the title of the page)
b) Compared to the recent search history of the Internet user (activatable or not, for the moment it is activated on forums)

So a) works pretty well already: we don't talk about perfume on econology (to use your example)

And about b) example: you do a search on a "capacitor", you will see during a certain delay, no more advertising on the capacitors even if the page has nothing to do! It lasts a few days (2 to 3) ... I don't have the exact deadline.

While some complain of being tracked (see above): there you seem to complain that Google does not know that you run on LPG and heat you with pellets ... (I advise you to test b) by making a LPG or Pellets research ...)

In short it takes everything to make a virtual world!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/02/16, 10:57

And as luck does it right and for illustration, here is the ad I had above the previous message after validation:

Pub_granules.png

So I find that targeting works pretty well!

Ah I forgot an important point c):

c) Relative to the geographic location of the user (especially the country but also the region, see the city: we can target the ads by city now!)

So actually everyone has a different ad "potential" ... I think (actually no I'm sure) that:

d) The ad also adapts to the ads you have visited (showing your interest) so if you visit pellet ads you will be more likely to have pellet ads for a "certain" time ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 27/02/16, 12:02

progress is beautiful! :P
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 27/02/16, 12:14

A question: should you click on the ad so that it brings something to the forum?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/02/16, 12:23

Yes it is a pay per click system ... but if you click it means that the ad must interest you ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/02/16, 12:24

Remundo wrote:progress is beautiful! :P

You're talking Charles: here is that the tip of the iceberg google (= the info that Google communicates!)

:D
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 27/02/16, 13:10

Christophe wrote:Yes it is a pay per click system ... but if you click it means that the ad must interest you ...

Shit so I thought it was enough to "endure" them.
In fact it's been months since I disabled adblock for forum, but it was useless I never clicked ...
With the old forum the ad was more discreet, almost invisible, now we can see it better : Wink:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/02/16, 14:47

Christophe wrote:
Well you say yourself that it's already more targeted than the ad that you're used to seeing, so already a good point, right?

Google targets advertising in 2 ways (known and acknowledged ... There are certainly others)
a) In relation to the content of the page (analysis of keywords, especially the title of the page)
b) Compared to the recent search history of the Internet user (activatable or not, for the moment it is activated on forums)

So a) works pretty well already: we don't talk about perfume on econology (to use your example)

And about b) example: you do a search on a "capacitor", you will see during a certain delay, no more advertising on the capacitors even if the page has nothing to do! It lasts a few days (2 to 3) ... I don't have the exact deadline.

While some complain of being tracked (see above): there you seem to complain that Google does not know that you run on LPG and heat you with pellets ... (I advise you to test b) by making a LPG or Pellets research ...)

In short it takes everything to make a virtual world!

Let’s keep talking peacefully! Don't get defensive. I'm not accusing you of anything.

1) I don't complain. I make certain observations.

2) Since I disabled ABP for econology, I accept the rules of the game.

3) Nevertheless, the question of targeting that you put forward is, in my opinion, only a mediocre "argument". It's my point of view.

Even targeted, so far, nothing that has appeared interested me. There would be perfumes, as in my favorite weekly, that neither would bother me more, nor would I bother me less.

4) To take the example of pellets: I have my boiler and will not change it; I'm not going to buy a stove; I have a certified supplier handy ... And indeed, google spotted the fact that I am interested in it. Or the LPG: the installation is done; I have one of the cheapest stations in Alsace as close as possible, in the first village below when I come out of my forest ... So this "targeted" advertisement does not matter to me. There, as there is no active discussion at the moment, google has not spotted me.

Put me perfumes, superb cars, tillers, "organic" fertilizers or anti-slugs, I wouldn't give a damn just as much ... You can also put sauerkraut grates, rare plants, books of biology or whatever ...

Let's summarize:

- I accept advertising, whatever it is, because, as it is written in your title: without advertising, no free site.

- the "targeting" argument does not convince me: even targeted as you say, I don't care; I find more suitable or nicer or closer or cheaper or more credible suppliers ... This is only my point of view ...

- the limited "quantity" of advertising, on the other hand, doesn't bother me ... I appreciate it. It is also a form of "targeting".

Now, if the advertising does not "'suffer" the financing of the site, if you have to click and visit, it does not help! We remain on an unsustainable model. Honestly, despite the esteem for the site, I don't think I would make such an "effort"! I prefer to be frank.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 27/02/16, 15:37

It is all the same surprising.
When you see an advertisement on TV or in a newspaper, you don't have to visit the store for the newspaper or TV to be paid.
There are lots of companies, local and targeted indeed, which advertise for free (as long as I am not visiting) since their name is displayed on my screen ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/02/16, 22:36

dede2002 wrote:It is all the same surprising.

Yes you are right on the bottom: but it is not me who decides the rules of the game ... I am only a pawn of the web ...

At the very beginning of the web, 98-02, most advertising was paid for display: there was so much abuse (on the part of "webmasters") that we quickly realized that the system was not not viable for advertisers !! But some took advantage and became millionaires in a few months ... but it did not last and I am not sure that the stock market crisis of the net of 2001 is not linked to these abuses ... or at least to those who were selling "dreams" !! (and there are some who are still selling it now ...)
0 x