Internet advertising: the free content ...

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.

Do you use an ad blocker?

You can select 1 option

Consult the results
Christophe

Re: Internet advertising: the free content ...

by Christophe » 07/04/19, 15:36

Uh a few explanations from my point of view:

a) there are not 41 pubs displayed directly on the forums: these are indirect links (same location for several types of advertisers) ... so Adblock counts badly ... I think it must block several cookies per ad and other stuff related to ads ... Funny Adblock is only supposed to block intrusive ads, adsense text links are not but are blocked all the same ...

My adblock (which I use in test) when we are in "visitor" mode has about twenty "blocks" on each page, no more between 18 and 22 exactly in short ... I just checked ... 20 on this same page! So 20 is not 40 ..

b) registered members do not have the banner you are referring to and much less advertising. The essential being at the bottom but in the end what good is it to display them, for a few cents per week?

In addition it was supposed to be of service to you to see the econological offers of the market on certain subjects but hey some are so pub-psycho-blocked that I believe that there is nothing more to do ...

c) Bin there is more than to wait for regular tips to be able to reduce the advertisement (it is not gained for the moment) ... I can make forum certified 100% ad-free for regular donors ...

d) Otherwise if the trend continues well I would have no choice but to return the forum paying even symbolically (1 or 2 € per month), the mainstream media have been there for a few years ... or it will disappear and too bad for everyone ...

e) I still feel bad faith on the part of some who do not realize the management of a forum in 2019 is asking for resources!

f) if the forum make your browser crash I think you're not on facebook ... which regularly makes him crash my browsers (pc from 2014), have you ever tried to completely remove Adblock?

Some studies show that he is the culprit and that many sites are faster without that (if so ...)

Here is a link (2014 which sticks to your hardware) which goes in this direction when used on Firefox ...

https://www.tomshardware.fr/adblock-plu ... refox-maj/

One of the most used extensions with Firefox is AdBock Plus. And this extension, according to Mozilla, is a problem for the browser. We are not going to discuss here the merits of using AdBlock Plus, but we just want to remind that one of the sources of income of your favorite site remains advertising.

According to Mozilla, therefore, the 19 million users of AdBlock Plus and Firefox use more RAM than the others. Simply activating AdBlock Plus requires 60 to 70 MB of RAM, due to the extension's JavaScript code. On sites that use a lot of iFrame (a technique that allows you to integrate elements from another site), each integration requires approximately 4 MB of RAM. On a site loaded with buttons for social networks, an example shows that we go from 197 MB to 417 MB for the same page. On other very heavy pages (like here), you can even go up to almost 2 GB of RAM…

The purpose of the Tips is to keep online all the intelligence developed on this forum during these years ... and the classic advertising model that allows free advertising no longer works, find out about the rest of the web, I'm not the only one to notice and say ...

Econology is not facebook and does not monetize your private life (but obviously some would prefer this to a few "nasty" ads ... : Shock: )
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 08/04/19, 12:04

Hello :)

I tried with paypal, 31 cents of fees it is not huge.

If not, tax question etc. what difference with the direct donation system? (I've been wanting for a long time, but I'm lazy ...)

Adblock, it's been a long time since I deleted it, I have a virgin firefox of extensions, light as a bike, and the ads don't bother me, moreover they point most often on subjects of the forum!
1 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 08/04/19, 21:42

personally I do not complain about advertising on econology; there is a little, it is bearable.

the debates on advertising are obviously tough, the "for" the "against", the "quite the contrary", the "nuances" and the "at the same time" ... and the "maybe"

finally for a long time the forum and the former econology association are looking for an "economic model" which is not easy to find.

I don't think anyone will have the solution. Perhaps a variety of subscriptions and formulas would be offered, all free of charge through advertising to without advertising for the most generous or participative contributors. :o
1 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 08/04/19, 22:26

Hi,

Like what...

It is possible to be both very angry and conciliatory, against and with capitalist and consumerist society ...

Anyway ... let's make arrangements.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 08/04/19, 23:06

I tested it with another browser (chrome *) which does not have an ad blocker or any extension. A page of forum takes between 4 and 10 seconds to load (invariably 2 seconds with Firefox and adblock)
The worst part is the home page which takes up to 20 seconds to load completely and since we systematically return to it from one subject to another it quickly gets boring.
I counted 6 ads on the same page, omitting the "ads" which actually refer to other subject of the forum. Personally I find it too heavy.
But note that what annoys me the most is not so much the ads in itself, it is really their heaviness in the computer sense of the term and the excessively long loading times which that induces (when it doesn’t really crash my browser ... and no I don't have facebook)
So when I have the fiber (it seems that the department must be 100% fiber for 2023 ...) and a more powerful pc may be that I would remove adblock.
While waiting for this forum will be ad free or not.

* Yes Chrome is certainly not the fastest and lightest browser there is, I do not have Edge on this pc to test it, but I doubt that there is a significant gain with other browsers lighter / faster.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 08/04/19, 23:12

Forhorse wrote:
* Yes Chrome is certainly not the fastest and lightest browser there is, I do not have Edge on this pc to test it, but I doubt that there is a significant gain with other browsers lighter / faster.

I have Edge under the Office suite on my new PC (about 1 year), I quickly returned to Chrome! No photo on the speed of navigation.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/04/19, 23:18

dede2002 wrote:If not, tax question etc. what difference with the direct donation system? (I've been wanting for a long time, but I'm lazy ...)

Are you talking about recipient or donor level? For me the Tip is direct donation but via an intermediary (whether it is paypal or / and tipeee) which takes its% ... so I do not quite understand your question actually?

I doubt that a tipeur can tax some euros of punctual tips (proof ??) ... or should you ask an annual receipt to Tipeee?

The recipient must declare them for tax purposes ... and is subject to tax like any other income (hey yes) ....

dede2002 wrote:Adblock, it's been a long time since I deleted it, I have a virgin firefox of extensions, light as a bike, and the ads don't bother me, moreover they point most often on subjects of the forum!

This is "healthy" behavior (for the independence of the web) ...

ps: and many thanks for your Tip!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/04/19, 23:26

Forhorse wrote:I tested it with another browser (chrome *) which does not have an ad blocker or any extension. A page of forum takes between 4 and 10 seconds to load (invariably 2 seconds with Firefox and adblock).

And were you logged into the other browser or not? Otherwise you are not comparing the same versions of the same site ...

Indeed: there are no more ads on the forum for members since yesterday (since I analyzed your messages categorically "anti-advertising": I therefore deleted all the ads for members of the forum... temporarily or not depending on the results: participation VS income) so you can deactivate your Adblock (as long as you are connected) it is exactly the same pages of the forum that will be displayed!

Forhorse wrote:While waiting for this forum will be ad free or not.

Well maybe start by emptying your cache ... cf : Arrowu:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/04/19, 23:44

Remundo wrote:personally I do not complain about advertising on econology; there is a little, it is bearable.

Bearable for you, for some and for me but visibly unbearable for others ...

You have to believe that advertising intolerability is a very subjective concept ... : Idea:

Remundo wrote:I don't think anyone will have the solution. Perhaps a variety of subscriptions and formulas would be offered, all free of charge through advertising to without advertising for the most generous or participative contributors. :o

It is technically feasible but I doubt that many members would be ready to pay a subscription ??

I only have 4 Tippeurs at the moment https://fr.tipeee.com/econologie-com/tippers , including you ... for how many other regular members?

(we are not there to give alms but all the same ... I expected more responsiveness. And there is only one Tip left to do to appear on the Tipeee search engine and therefore touch a other community ...)

However, I think this subscription would quickly pay for itself given the good economic advice that can be read or given here ...

Finally, some forums are paid but they are rather rare and very technical oriented ... (kind of auto maintenance of a specific brand)

I am not sure that this is the solution for econology ... which wants to be open to all and for the good of all (what what I do too much ???)

ps: Big thank you for your Tip!
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/04/19, 09:19

Well, I have to take care of that !!!

I think we should start from "higher", as always when there is debate: how "we" finance the costs of this site; accommodation, other costs, etc ...

Two extremes:

a) "false free" by resorting to advertising ...

You mention the "troubles" such as speed, screen clutter, etc ...

We can also have "ethical requirements", beyond discomfort. Let us be clear: to live off advertising is to live like a rat from the waste of a system that we have fun criticizing elsewhere [because this advertising itself is passed on to the costs of our purchases; no paying advertising company is a philanthropist].

Furthermore, it is clear that this model is reaching its limits. Sustainability seems less than certain to me!

b) a paid site; only have access to subscribers ...

And there arises another problem: who is willing to pay? How ?

Advantage: I think we will have few trolls?

But then you have to "provide" quality information, exchanges that interest members, etc ...

More broadly, the question of the "editorial line" arises: information and exchanges (I quote the "Potager du Laesseux" as an example, because that is what we are tending towards), controversy and agit-prop or even activism (with positions on bitcoin, yellow vests, etc - I only read a very small part of what is published, I have that in mind; we could probably add the "non-factual" litanies on vaccines , homeopathy, etc ...) which are far from being shared, for example). So this "model", in my opinion, would not go through "cleaning"! This is no longer the libertarian model of the deceptively free internet where you can get stuck for nothing, afford a collective release at little cost, etc ...

It is not for nothing that Mediapart runs after the "scoops" !!! So that's fine, because they have address books (Edwy Plenel was still an investigative journalist from Le Monde)

AND of course, there is the mix, which is what we are a bit currently ... Anyway, what are we trying to reach ???

It's just a go, mine.
2 x