Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Christophe

Re: Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

by Christophe » 04/12/23, 19:07

Yes, it is restrictive to press these logs with the basic equipment that I have...

The advantage is the quick loading time of the stove and the storage, which is much less bulky...than paper/cardboard in direct combustion...

But you have to spend a lot of time to do all that...I estimate I spent a good ten hours to make around fifty logs (that's all included at best in my case 5 logs per hour...)

So I ask myself the question: is the flame* worth the candle?

*especially since I'm lazy at times...you can find some nice puns there I think...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/12/23, 20:04

On the one hand, it must be considered that the operation can be made less restrictive in terms of time and difficulty by improvements in the "process" and on the other hand that this directly eliminates waste.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/12/23, 22:56

But is it impossible to "boost" the PCI but also the density of the log by incorporating not sawdust but for example a coarse sieving of ground wood? At least for you who produces it?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 05/12/23, 23:52

The shredded material that I produce comes from small branches, rather biologically rich, but not really ideal as fuel.
I'm going to try enriching it with some small grain of anthracite, because I've just got a good stock of it: it might be a good way to use it in a stove not suitable for combustion... On the menu, soon, "Fire truffles on their bed of cabbage leaves"! : Mrgreen:
1 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 06/12/23, 14:40

Anthracite, you can use it for a forge

Very caloric and a lot of carbon (fossil :D)

But it helps harden the steel.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/12/23, 18:59

Yes, initially I got it for this use where it works wonders; but I have a lot compared to my small needs. That this carbon is fossil doesn't bother me: almost every year 8 million more tons of coal are burned... Did you say "energy transition"? : roll:
To return to the subject, many of those who started making paper logs abandoned this exercise considered too restrictive, but it should be noted that producing classic log wood (to which it is often compared) without the equipment and tools adequate would be at least as discouraging, which is why I am convinced that the sharing of effective equipment would be the key to the popularization of this practice.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 06/12/23, 19:45

Ahmed wrote: That this carbon is fossil doesn't bother me: almost every year 8 million more tons of coal are burned...

I think it's billions, not millions, globally. you are forgiven in advance!
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/12/23, 19:48

I had some hesitation, but these are such enormous figures that I have a hard time appreciating them... But thank you for correcting them! : Oops:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/01/24, 08:18

I am reaching the end of my modest stock (around fifty) of paper/cardboard briquettes made (laboriously) with the Chinese press for €20.

As a reminder of the method (very summary):
- Shredding with document shredder to obtain strips
- Soaking for a few hours per batch to obtain a more or less homogeneous paste (less rather than more)
- Pressing with a retaining sheet to limit disintegration
- Drying approximately 10 months

This method allows you to obtain mechanically good bricks, I have had no spontaneous disintegration... but requires around 1 hour to make 5 to 6 briquettes all inclusive (real wood is faster per kWh!)

On burning briquettes:

- Difficult to light even though it is paper (use when the fire has already started)
- Slow combustion (need for a lot of air/draft) so not great level of heat input
- Burns thoroughly without deteriorating if left untouched
- Volume reduction (ash production) of 20 to 30% (someone asked the question above)

briquette.jpg
briquette.jpg (432.08 KB) Viewed 405 times

briquette 2.jpg
briquette 2.jpg (494.57 KiB) Viewed 405 times
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/01/24, 18:32

Christophe wrote:

- Slow combustion (need for a lot of air/draft) so not great level of heat input
-

briquette 2.jpg

I thought for a moment when I looked at the second photo that it was a photo of a slice of bread from a new izentrop recipe! :D
In the air, nothing really surprising, no or very little volatile matter. Ahmed's design, with its two holes going through the log, should behave a little better
0 x