Does the color of the pool affect the water temperature of a swimming pool

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Does the color of the pool affect the water temperature of a swimming pool

by sicetaitsimple » 05/09/17, 23:16

Uh, is it really essential to have a swimming pool?

I'm not totally off topic but I'm definitely an old idiot!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 06/09/17, 09:01

nico239 wrote:Exactly the subject is not: what is the best way to heat a swimming pool, so exit the (recognized) covering solutions ... etc

But only does the color of the basin have an impact on the water temperature and as a corollary if this impact is significant.

If a black pool in full sun increases the water temperature by one tenth of a degree fro
If a black (or other) swimming pool in full sun increases the water temperature by one degree it is already no longer the same ... : Idea:

OKAY.

But I find that this is a wrong question. So the answer will be biased. Let me explain :

- your question is about the water temperature (not the aesthetics)

- therefore, what is the importance of capturing more or less calories with a suitable color if it is to balance them by surface evaporation? (it's like asking the question: "what is the best volume for a hiking water bottle" knowing that it is pierced).

- if you cover, which seems essential to me, the question of the background color only plays when it is open ...

Now, as you put it, without much discussion, we will indeed agree that the matte black will be the best ... And in general, the darker and the less brilliant, the more will be effective ... The depth will be decisive: the deeper it is, the less the background color plays!

- a solution that may consist of "deporting" the collection, in the form of inexpensive "solar collectors" (twists of black pipes) inserted into the pumping circuits ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 06/09/17, 10:35

the background color will have a direct influence on the thermal power received from the sun

but the question of the influence on the temperature is more complicated ... if the swimming pool is not absolutely isolated it takes the average temperature of its environment, and it takes a huge power to modify its temperature

this is why we get more results by improving thermal insulation than by increasing the heat received from the sun

evaporation on the surface makes a huge loss of heat: putting a floating tarpaulin at night is the first thing to do

it would be useful to quantify all this precisely
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 06/09/17, 10:51

Yes. See that the bottom of the pool, which therefore captures, must also heat the soil, on the other side of the wall, which must be around 12 ° approximately, fairly stable, at this depth ...
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 06/09/17, 11:05

You are going to buy 2 identical bowls: one white, the other black. You fill them with water and you put them in the sun next to each other.
You come back in 1 hour and drink them dry. In my opinion, the water in the black bowl will be hotter! : Cheesy:
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 06/09/17, 11:27

Grelinette wrote:You come back in 1 hour and drink them dry. In my opinion, the water in the black bowl will be hotter! : Cheesy:
Yes, but not sure it will be the same the next morning if you leave the bowls all night outside ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/09/17, 13:16

Exactly what I said above: a dark surface will capture more energy but will also radiate more during the temperature inversion (wood stoves are mostly black for the same reason ...) ... and at the end of the night I think the thermal inertia is much too low for there to be a difference in the bowls in the morning ...

With a bowl the height of water is not sufficient for solar thermal energy to be absorbed in majority in the water ... there will therefore be much more difference than with a greater height of water ... I do not think that the experience is significant to apply it to a swimming pool ...
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 06/09/17, 13:55

That said, being in a region with many pools per m², I found that there were now pool coverings of a different color from traditional blue or white (white still giving a blue color to water, probably a reflection of the sky).

I see more and more dark gray liner ....

Liners manufacturers offer a range including main colors such as blue, white or black. However, it all depends on the atmosphere you want to give to your pool:
For blue water, opt for a light blue liner.
For brighter blue water, choose a lagoon blue.
For turquoise green water, take a sand-colored liner.
For blue, clear and crystalline water, the white liner is adequate.
For “icy mint” water, opt for light gray tones.
For a pool with a mirror effect, reflecting the environment, take a black liner.

Color is therefore more of an ambience argument!

... and looking for info on the subject I found that there is dyes for pool water : Shock:
Does fuchsia pink water heat up more than apple green water? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 06/09/17, 14:28

The experiment which would undoubtedly be the simplest to do would be to place at the bottom of the swimming pool 2 coverings side by side, one black, the other white (for example 2 large tiles 50cmx50cm, or 2 square of tarpaulin held by weights placed at the 4 corners), and placed a small thermometer on each of these 2 surfaces, then monitor the temperatures indicated on each of the surfaces ... We can even, to perfect the experience, move the 2 colored surfaces to the bottom of the pool at different depths to see the influence of the depth.

I say that because we find, on various forums, this water temperature difference question depends on the color of the coating, but there is no clear and precise answer.

The best answer is therefore experimental!
(this is the kind of original experience that I find very interesting :D )
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 06/09/17, 14:53

Grelinette wrote:The experiment which would undoubtedly be the simplest to do would be to place at the bottom of the swimming pool 2 coverings side by side, one black, the other white (for example 2 large tiles 50cmx50cm, or 2 square of tarpaulin held by weights placed at the 4 corners), and placed a small thermometer on each of these 2 surfaces, then monitor the temperatures indicated on each of the surfaces ... We can even, to perfect the experience, move the 2 colored surfaces to the bottom of the pool at different depths to see the influence of the depth.

I say that because we find, on various forums, this water temperature difference question depends on the color of the coating, but there is no clear and precise answer.

The best answer is therefore experimental!
(this is the kind of original experience that I find very interesting :D )

Except that the difference will be ... negligible and that you confuse temperature and energy!

The black tile can capture - I say that at random - 10 times of energy than the white. Immediately transmit it to water, which is liquid and therefore mobile. The hot water rises and is replaced by cold water, which immediately cools the tile ... Its temperature may be just a higher temperature than that of the white tile. They will be close to the water temperature anyway ... The temperature is a state. Energy is a flow.
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"