Dinosaur extinction: roasted alive at 800 ° C

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/12/10, 12:03

I understand better, of course we should not rule out any leads, but all the same ... When we see how powerful the instinctive / conditioned reflexes are in animals and in particular in birds * ... and which push them to doing things going so far as to put their lives in danger if only so that their impulses can be expressed ... (I don't see many of them burying themselves, but I could be wrong ...) I tell me that researchers should also take this point into account: burying itself is not a "natural" reflex for a bird : Cheesy:

And change my behavior overnight, I can hardly believe it!

* Same in the human race, right?
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 28/12/10, 12:27

How to explain that the crocodilians and chelonians (turtle) survived the disaster, and still exist?
Not all dinosaurs were giants, the Compsognathus only weighed 2,5kg for example.

The extinction KT (Cretaceous Tertiary) probably caused by the fall of an asteroid and its terrible effects (nuclear winter) led to the disappearance of most of the dinosaurs, nevertheless a large number have survived ... and are still there!
The Dinosaurs were grouped into two main families from the anatomical point of view: the dinosaurs with hip lizards, and those with the hip of birds ... which evolved to give their respective species.
Following the cataclysm, there was an accelerated evolutionary phenomenon, and even if most of the giant species have disappeared, others have evolved at high speed to adapt to the new conditions ... and are therefore still among us under another form.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/12/10, 13:07

sen-no-sen they are marine animals, so if the water point in which they were was large enough (inertia) there is no reason that they did not survive the barbecue ...

After as already said: there was a nuclear winter ...

Obamot wrote: burying itself is not a "natural" reflex for a bird : Cheesy:

You forget their eggs : Cheesy:

Obamot wrote:And change my behavior overnight, I can hardly believe it!

* Same in the human race, right?

Ah here I understand now why I put this subject in Society and philosophy :) : Cheesy:
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 28/12/10, 13:42

Christophe wrote:sen-no-sen they are marine animals, so if the water point in which they were was large enough (inertia) there is no reason that they did not survive the barbecue ...

Inexact, how do you explain that the Pliosaurs, some of which exceeded 15 meters, did not survive?
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliosauroidea

The "key" to the disappearance of dinosaurs and other giants of the seas lies in the fact that their last were probably warm-blooded animals.
A warm-blooded animal consumes 4 to 6 times more energy than a cold-blooded animal.
The nuclear winter considerably reduced photosynthesis, which led to a food shortage eradicating the giant giants.
Turtles and cold-blooded crocodiles have managed to survive because of their much lower food consumption.
The mammals (at the time of the size of a field mouse) survived because of their reduced scale, the same for the small dinosaurs which evolved to give our lizards and modern birds.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/12/10, 13:49

Christophe wrote:sen-no-sen they are marine animals, so if the water point in which they were was large enough (inertia) there is no reason that they did not survive the barbecue ...

After as already said: there was a nuclear winter ...

Obamot wrote: burying itself is not a "natural" reflex for a bird : Cheesy:

You forget their eggs : Cheesy:

..ah ahah and no one to incubate them? Feed them before they jump out of the nest? Teach them to fly?

..you prefer boiled, omelette or flat? : Mrgreen: (for the "human" side).

Okay, but it's still possible, huh. There weren't exactly all the same conditions on the planet at the same time! During the "nuclear winter" they could have eaten carcasses of agreement ... But also migrate ... Accelerate the renewal of the species given the high mortality rate ... etc. In addition, the polar regions had to melt, which suddenly gave an interesting gap for survival in the “border area”, etc. Would the birds have been better adapted to sudden temperature changes (in flight there can be huge differences in temperature depending on, altitude, season, winds, pressures ...)
Last edited by Obamot the 28 / 12 / 10, 14: 00, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/12/10, 13:59

Hull please.

No kidding: turtles you know? : Cheesy:
What about "troglodyte" birds?

I do not think that humanity will one day know the entirety of the biodiversity of animal species of the time! We know she was quite rich, right?

We don't already know 100% of current species!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/12/10, 14:03

sen-no-sen wrote:Inexact, how do you explain that the Pliosaurs, some of which exceeded 15 meters, did not survive?
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliosauroidea

The "key" to the disappearance of dinosaurs and other giants of the seas lies in the fact that their last were probably warm-blooded animals.
A warm-blooded animal consumes 4 to 6 times more energy than a cold-blooded animal.
The nuclear winter considerably reduced photosynthesis, which led to a food shortage eradicating the giant giants.

I'm only talking to you about the planetary barbecue (which would only last 24 hours after impact) ... and a nuclear winter would have followed, which is entirely compatible with your idea!

Note: the current reptiles, the genetically closest to the dinosaurs (I believe), are however cold-blooded for the great majority right?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/12/10, 14:04

... you hadn't read my second para!

But the turtle eggs in vitrified sand by the temperature, it had to make a good barbecue : Mrgreen:

And no I'm not too glodyte, but a little poly glote : Cheesy: (Obamot goes wild)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/12/10, 14:07

Obamot wrote:... you hadn't read my second para!

Inevitably you published it when I wrote my answer! : Cheesy:
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 28/12/10, 14:12

Christophe wrote:

Note: the current reptiles, the genetically closest to the dinosaurs (I believe), are however cold-blooded for the great majority right?

Exact, and all his theories have been unleashing passions for several decades in the scientific community.
But there is nothing to prevent a warm-blooded animal from becoming cold-blooded and vice versa, no more than a lizard's shell becoming a bird feather, or a monkey evolving into a man! .. .the mysteries of Evolution.
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"