Advice advice electrical installation isolated site

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
necniv
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Advice advice electrical installation isolated site

by necniv » 20/12/22, 12:00

Hello everybody

I recently acquired a piece of land (5000m²) with a chalet (60m²) in the Belgian Ardennes, quite isolated and therefore not connected to anything.
In the middle of a nature reserve.
Very exciting,)
At first second residence and maybe later live there.

For water, it will be recovery of rainwater in IBCs.
For gas, easy, in a bottle.
For electricity, solar panels and/or wind turbines and batteries.

It is mainly for this third point that I would like to have your opinions / thoughts, being a total novice.

I acquired 12 "Lead Crystal" industrial batteries in 2v 400ah. Anyone know? Very little information on the net.
Is there anything to know about the solar use of this type of battery?
They will be connected in series (12 in total) to arrive at 24v, 9600wh.
I bought them without asking myself too many questions (my consumption etc) because they were bought used but new in their sealed box and at a crazy price (50eur each instead of 550eur each on the net).
So I would have a large enough capacity for my use I think (a few days / month and a little more in the summer months).

An interesting link on lead crystal batteries, with info and comparisons:

https://www.all-batteries.fr/media/cms/ ... T_tech.pdf

I had gone on a solar panel project with hybrid inverter or converter + regulator but the site being quite shaded and wooded (falling leaves, branches, pine cones), I wonder if a wind turbine would not be more suitable? Or both?

Do you have any opinions on which choice would be more suitable in my case and the resulting equipment, given the capacity of my batteries.

I specify that my father touches his ball in domestic elec and is of good advice but has in spite of everything no experiment in autonomous installations.

Here, thank you in advance for your feedback and success and satisfaction in your projects,)

Vincent
1 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: opinion/advice electrical installation isolated site

by phil59 » 20/12/22, 12:30

At 50€, indeed, there's nothing to think about.

If you want to keep them for a long time, you should not draw more than half, or almost 5kWh in total, not that bad, and NEVER go above 80% of their capacity.

For panels, you have to see where you have the most sun, and see where to put them, can be more inclined towards 50-60°, meager ratio in summer, but almost the max in winter months.

A pure sinus inverter, protections, etc.

Know that to put a 6mm2 cable you can carry 10 kW on it over a hundred meters, if necessary, and you put your electronics and battery, adjoining the "cabin".

Look here, to see your production.

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/fr/

Determine your energy needs, what you will consume for lighting, now, in LED, it's cool, but a fridge, which you can run only during the day, and unplug at night, for example, washing machine , and dishwasher, you can disconnect the resistance, for example, this is what consumes the most, but it's up to you ....

Regarding wind power, I don't know enough, but there are a lot of scams, on the powers announced, and a 500W, you may barely get 50W. But the advantage, the wind at night, while the sun niet!

The panels can be used, the first ones I bought were €30 for 190Wp, the last ones I paid €30-40 for 3 in 185 Wp....

New ones are around 150€, for 300-400Wp.

Already put your "large" electricity needs, after, already with PVGIS, you will see your possible production, looking in winter, you have to be able to last at least 4 days on batteries ....
1 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 20/12/22, 12:33

Hello and welcome Vincent!

Beware of protected sites.
Are you sure to obtain the authorizations to install PV panels in a nature reserve?
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 20/12/22, 12:55

Regarding the 12 batteries in series, I am a little cautious.

They risk becoming unbalanced over the charge/discharge cycles. So a bit like Lithium, you would need a controller/balancer. But on 12 2V batteries, it's not very common...

It is generally preferred to put 12V batteries in parallel in isolated sites. Sometimes 24V.

Regarding electrical sources, yes I advise you to favor PV panels. In the forest, wind turbines are blah blah. You could install one or two in addition, but don't count on it too much.

Of course you have to find a sunny spot in the forest.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 20/12/22, 13:15

Remundo wrote:Regarding the 12 batteries in series, I am a little cautious.

They risk becoming unbalanced over the charge/discharge cycles. So a bit like Lithium, you would need a controller/balancer. But on 12 2V batteries, it's not very common...

It is generally preferred to put 12V batteries in parallel in isolated sites. Sometimes 24V.

Regarding electrical sources, yes I advise you to favor PV panels. In the forest, wind turbines are blah blah. You could install one or two in addition, but don't count on it too much.

Of course you have to find a sunny spot in the forest.

At worst, he will be able to redo a balancing 2-3 times a year, "by hand"?
We see a lot of 2V on very large installations, batteries that withstand time much better, but they must all have aged at the same time.
1 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 20/12/22, 13:41

For example electric forklift cells...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Opinion advice installation elect isolated site

by sicetaitsimple » 20/12/22, 19:02

I don't have any personal experience that would allow me to advise you with full knowledge of the facts.

Despite everything, concerning the "wind turbine" solution, I recommend that you take a good look at the forums, videos,....
I don't think I've ever found a testimonial showing real satisfaction from someone having installed a personal wind turbine, say less than 500W. But maybe I searched wrong....
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/12/22, 20:26

It seems in fact proven that, except in exceptional circumstances (?), a domestic wind turbine is not of much use, since operating in swirling winds and with modest sails, all the more so in a forest environment where a great height is necessary to counter the slowing down of air flows by the trees.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/12/22, 20:32

sicetaitsimple wrote:I don't think I've ever found a testimonial showing real satisfaction from someone having installed a personal wind turbine, say less than 500W. But maybe I searched wrong....

Yes you searched wrong : Mrgreen:

Some installers stuffed themselves a few years ago with what were called "wind turbines" for facades or gables...preferred targets: retirees...

They have never produced anything but GDP on the backs of frail and gullible people.

One more escrology...I wonder if there wasn't also a system of subsidies at the time (tax credit at least...)
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 20/12/22, 21:01

Do not exaggerate, but we know that we can not, in general, much.

But, if you don't pay too much, and you expect just a little, it can be good.

If your solar panels are going to produce 50Wh all day in winter, instead of your usual 5-10 kWh, and your wind turbine actually produces 2-300 Wh the same day, not much, but enough for lighting , it's to do.

Now, in the forest, to see, if not on a "hill".

Everything depends.

It's up to you to see with PVGIS, the possible or not. And maybe think of a small group, a few days a year.
0 x