Isolation between 2 inhabited floors

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Isolation between 2 inhabited floors

by moby25 » 13/02/10, 17:30

Hello

I just saw that in my house, there is no insulation at all between the ground floor and the floor that is inhabited.

I noticed through a hatch that the temperature in the space (beams) between the ground floor and the upper floor was low.

Is it dramatic?
Is this compulsory for insulation worthy of the name?

I don't understand, I thought that the insulation between floors was mostly acoustic.

Thank you
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/02/10, 17:42

Well you're right, it's mostly phonic: why thermally insulate between 2 living rooms?
0 x
tuttikullikum
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by tuttikullikum » 13/02/10, 18:04

If the rooms upstairs are only used for sleeping,
wouldn't it be interesting to isolate?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/02/10, 18:18

No, I do not think so.

It is better to keep your money to isolate towards the "real" outside.

If the rooms are only used for sleeping, then do not heat them, they will act as a buffer zone and will only be heated by the losses of the other rooms ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/10, 18:24

All right with Christophe. But beware, this space is often the object of air circulation coming from the outside, via the tiles, the attic and passes through this "in between". And there, it becomes a kind of "thermal bridge"!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/02/10, 18:31

Ah yes, you have to treat the heated parts "after" as best as possible ...

The question of knowing how to insulate an NOT heated but "viable" part (a garaga, a shed for example) attached to a heated part I have many more problems ... besides I still do not have the "clear and clear" answer ...

There are 2 choices:
a) insulation towards the outside
b) insulation between the heated and unheated parts

Both have disadvantages and advantages ...

Here is the subject where we discussed it: https://www.econologie.com/forums/isolation- ... t8870.html
0 x
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by moby25 » 14/02/10, 02:47

Did67 wrote:All right with Christophe. But beware, this space is often the object of air circulation coming from the outside, via the tiles, the attic and passes through this "in between". And there, it becomes a kind of "thermal bridge"!

Hello

you got it right, that's exactly what I was thinking! ;-)

I noticed in fact that there was a priori an area that allowed outside air to pass at the level of the tiles, false floor.

It's hard to explain, I'll make a diagram tomorrow
0 x
zorglub
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by zorglub » 14/02/10, 08:46

to make a precise analysis here is a solution if you have a "contactless" medical thermometer
it has the possibility of measuring the temperature of the ambient air and the walls

you make a diagram of your volume and you make measurement points
3 or 4 by partitions, in front of windows, on the floor, on the ceiling

the values ​​reported on your diagram give you the exact configuration of the cold spots and you have comparison values

I did this at home to determine the points to isolate as a priority
0 x
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by moby25 » 14/02/10, 10:39

here is a diagram explaining my situation.

To solve this problem, I am thinking of removing the glass wool laid "in bulk", and filling the space with cellulose wadding which will fill all the holes and which I hope will solve the problem.

I also have to isolate the ba13 plate which is not. (mind blowing!)

In the space between the 2 floors, it is around 11,5 ° C with an outside T ° C of 0 °.
The office downstairs which quickly loses temperature was 13.3 ° C so approximately the temperature between the 2 floors.

I don't think this temperature is normal
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/02/10, 12:32

zorglub wrote:to make a precise analysis here is a solution if you have a "contactless" medical thermometer
it has the possibility of measuring the temperature of the ambient air and the walls

Just and if you don't have one, you can look here: Measuring and Diagnostic Devices Energy, Electricity and Environment

3 1 in: https://www.econologie.com/shop/thermome ... p-326.html

Moby25, you're a little in the same situation as us with the difference that the "triangular" space under the roof is semi-inhabited with us (not with you I presume?) And that we have no "leak" by the floor (concrete floor)

So look at the subject it should help you: https://www.econologie.com/forums/isolation- ... t8870.html

In your case it is simpler: it is enough to insulate the partition ba13 up to the 1st floor and thus also to plug the air leaks which penetrate under the floor.

Also repair the glass wool on the floor.

ps: pay attention to the flocculated wadding, it does NOT support leaks and drafts at all (even less than other bulk products) so it must be sealed perfectly before otherwise she will leave with the drafts ... you can read this file from my personal xp if not already done: https://www.econologie.com/ouate-de-cell ... -3763.html
0 x