Isolation of a veranda

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
bern51100
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Isolation of a veranda

by bern51100 » 26/05/15, 08:00

Hello,
I need some advice on the glue that can be used to fix extruded polystyrene on polycarbonate sheets.
Here I have a "greenhouse type" veranda on the north facade of my house. I replaced, 5 years ago, the PVC sheets by polycarbonate sheets. Winter is impeccable, but summer unbearable because the sun at its zenith hits the roof. A verendalist explained to me that the best solution for the existing structure, which I do not want to change, would be to glue 140/200 mm extruded polystyrene under the plates.
I forgot to ask her to glue I had to use to fix the extruded polystyrene without it coming off with heat. Fastening on the bottom of the polycarbonate plates and the extruded plates between them because I will use 100mm in two layers.
Thank you for your suggestions.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 26/05/15, 09:17

I'm wondering what you call extruded polystyrene. It's expanded polystyrene?

In any case, polystyrene is sensitive to most solvents. Only specific glues are suitable. but from there to know if they will keep 60 ° or more, it's another matter.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Isolation of a veranda

by A.D. 44 » 26/05/15, 09:19

Hello,

bern51100 wrote:I forgot to ask her to glue I had to use to fix the extruded polystyrene without it coming off with heat.

Actually holding glue and poly under a glass in summer ...

Why not fix a siding? Like, white steel tray or zinc plate, or any other reflective material. To then possibly add in under face an insulator.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 26/05/15, 10:17

elephant wrote:I'm wondering what you call extruded polystyrene. It's expanded polystyrene?

the expanded is that composed of small balls. Extruded is the smooth one.
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Isolation of a veranda

by hic » 26/05/15, 11:44

bern51100 wrote:Hello,
I need some advice on the glue that can be used to fix extruded polystyrene on polycarbonate sheets.
Here I have a "greenhouse type" veranda on the north facade of my house. I replaced, 5 years ago, the PVC sheets by polycarbonate sheets. Winter is impeccable, but summer unbearable because the sun at its zenith hits the roof. A verendalist explained to me that the best solution for the existing structure, which I do not want to change, would be to glue 140/200 mm extruded polystyrene under the plates.
I forgot to ask her to glue I had to use to fix the extruded polystyrene without it coming off with heat. Fastening on the bottom of the polycarbonate plates and the extruded plates between them because I will use 100mm in two layers.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Hi bern51100
Alternative!
To continue to enjoy the greenhouse effect in winter,
you just need to put a removable mirror, more or less dull, on the roof.
(or reflective sheet paste, peelable for winter)

This is also true for solar thermal that overheats and leaks in summer.

cheaper, simpler and more efficient : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/05/15, 16:35

AD 44 wrote:
elephant wrote:I'm wondering what you call extruded polystyrene. It's expanded polystyrene?

the expanded is that composed of small balls. Extruded is the smooth one.

Elephant is Belgian ... so in Belgium the expanded is called "frigolite" and the extruded "styrodur" ...

Certainly (old) trade names ...
0 x
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 27/05/15, 08:16

Hi, do not stick anything under your polycarbonates, it's too precious, and one it costs a blind, and two you'll bumble and you can not reuse (greenhouse, solar panels, ...)

the top is to remake a roof, perso it's PV panels, it cost me less expensive than redo polycarbonates. (non-standard size of plates and PV found super cheap on lebon COINCOIN)
0 x
I vote for the writing of concrete post and practicality.
Down the talkers and ceiling fans!
bern51100
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by bern51100 » 27/05/15, 12:16

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.
Christophe is extruded polystyrene, not expanded. Extruded is harder, more compact than expanded polystyrene which is very friable and goes into small balls.
antoinet111 PV means Photo-Voltaic? if so, my porch structure will not support the weight.
Put a reflective material on top, I thought about it. But the roof is 4m on 6m and with the wind. . .
I think so put 150 extruded plate underneath without sticking, retained by a lath wood or pvc under the purlins.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 27/05/15, 13:06

Hello,

bern51100 wrote:Put a reflective material on top, I thought about it. But the roof is 4m on 6m and with the wind. . .

in this case ... paint the polycarbonate on its outer face in white white.

or alternuce and déluce solile, to baste this same external face of white of spain from May to October.
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 27/05/15, 14:26

Hi, for the information polycarbonate is a pollutant of the super great air, it is one of the most producer of COV, you will find more info here:

http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.f ... 122012.pdf

all in all good luck with your veranda_ polycarbonate greenhouse well heated in the sun, thus releasing a maximum of particles in the air ... with a good layer of polystyrene actually it should be at the top for a beautiful intoxication slow and deep wish .. ..

But this is only my personal opinion of course and only my commitment;) ...
0 x