Effective exits of small cars consuming less

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
kesten

Effective exits of small cars consuming less

by kesten » 08/10/07, 22:43

I post here, a little by chance, and maybe for a lynching in order?

We are a family of 5 in the Paris suburbs. Currently, we have two cars: a 4-year-old family car and an old 2cv over 20 years old.

My husband takes public transport, except once a week to run 'his' 2cv, and also because he comes home late once a week ...

For my part I do not use the 2cv, which is a bit characteristic, but the family, for all my small trips in town (shopping, accompaniment of children, etc ....)

It is financial ruin and pollution of which we are aware.

We are considering the 'retirement' of the 2cv in the countryside and the purchase of a small vehicle for our daily trips (we have considered the prius but this is not a solution: too small for our vacations)

The problem is that we found nothing particularly innovative in the range of first prizes. The only thing that we could note is the reduced co2 emission for models like the small toyota or the c1 / 107.

My question is the following: are there any changes planned in this range of vehicles (quickly!) And are there other selection criteria than this "CO2 emission"
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The actual outputs of small cars consuming mo

by bham » 09/10/07, 10:20

kesten wrote:We are considering the 'retirement' of the 2cv in the countryside and the purchase of a small vehicle for our daily trips (we have considered the prius but it is not a solution: too small for our departures on vacation). "

There is a contradiction related to the different needs that one can have of a car during a year.
Either you take a small car and for the holidays, you buy a trailer, a roof box, or you rent a bigger car or you don't go on vacation with the car.
Either we buy a larger car which will allow us to go on vacation quietly but which, the rest of the year, will consume more and be more expensive in maintenance, insurance.
So the 1st thing is to make a choice in relation to the size of the car.

kesten wrote:The problem is that we found nothing particularly innovative in the range of first prizes. The only thing that we could note is the reduced co2 emission for models like the small toyota or the c1 / 107.
My question is the following: are there any changes planned in this range of vehicles (quickly!) And are there other selection criteria than this "CO2 emission"

Le quickly is a bit too much in demand, other hybrids that the Prius will see the light of day, at Honda it's done I think but at the others maybe not before 2010. The Citroën C-cactus, nice, but when?
Personally, I would keep the 2CV and the other car while waiting for a real evolution.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/10/07, 10:27

The C1 hdi for the city is very good. Guidi has one that consumes 4,5 when "pulling" on it ...

In town with flexible driving I think we easily stay below 5L / 100 ...

But hey the trunk is quite ridiculous ... do not plan to do the shopping for 4 people with (unless sleeping the rear seats ...). On the other hand you will have the same consumption as with a Hybrid for 1/2 or 1/3 of the price of the vehicle ...

For the Honda Civic Hybrid: http://www.caradisiac.com/php/essai_tun ... -civic.php
For the Prius 2:
http://www.caradisiac.com/php/essai_tun ... _prius.php
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 09/10/07, 10:31

I don't think the Prius is such a small car ...
However, it is a false ecological good deal.

For me, the only valid criterion to estimate the pollution of a car is not CO2 (the tree that hides the forest) but quite simply consumption. Less fuel oil burned -> less pollution. It's logic.

So small car, small cylinder, small top speed (it is limited to 130 in France).

I agree with Bham, you want a small car for the city or a big car for the holidays ... must make a choice.

Don't forget the safety of the kids all the same (baby seat, all that).

And then let me suggest an alternative that is good for the Earth, good for health and good for the wallet:

http://www.velotaf.com
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/10/07, 11:02

Rulian wrote:I don't think the Prius is such a small car ...
However, it is a false ecological good deal.

Toutafé ... I keep saying it, but I get half insulted by the "real ecologists" who have one ... (hybrid) ...

I still saw a report ... on the road it is between 6 and 6,5 L / 100 ... really nothing exceptional ...
0 x
kesten

by kesten » 09/10/07, 16:56

Thank you for all the answers!

To give some details:

- we cannot keep the 2cv which is no longer very reliable (it is 28 years old and 160000 km) as a city vehicle. She will go on a well-deserved retirement in the countryside.

- the prius is too small for a family of 2 adults and 3 teenagers (not counting the cat). We tried it at the auto show last year

- the idea is to have two cars, a small economy for the city (and it's true that the C1 looks pretty good) and the big one (307 sw) that we keep for our trips at 5 .

- As for cycling, I practice it a lot, as well as walking. But as much as it is good for doing small errands, it is no longer enough when you have to go for a refuel (and 3 teens, it eats!) As for my husband, he takes public transport to go to work in Paris, except once a week when he takes out the 2cv because he comes back later.

Do you know if the stop and start should be adapted soon on the C1?

What about the eternal struggle between diesel and petrol?

And what are automatic boxes worth, consumption issue precisely?
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 10/10/07, 09:04

kesten wrote:...
- the idea is to have two cars, a small economy for the city (and it's true that the C1 looks pretty good) and the big one (307 sw) that we keep for our trips at 5 .

It's a good idea that I defended on a forum automobile but I got thrown out. However, pollution is linked to the user and not to the car and having two cars, or even three, does not drive twice or three times more, it is absurd. On the contrary, we consume less overall when the use is well suited. What is absurd is to drive, alone, in town, in a minivan or in a 4 x 4.

For the bike, I have no luck, I used it a lot in my small hometown (5000 inhabitants), but the town hall has almost made it impossible to use it in the city center by increasing the bans on cycling (incredible but true !!!). Suddenly most people take their cars to do their shopping in the city, the return trip making less than ... 1 km!
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 10/10/07, 09:45

Leo Maximus wrote:It's a good idea that I defended on a forum automobile but I got thrown out. However, pollution is linked to the user and not to the car and having two cars, or even three, does not drive twice or three times more, it is absurd. On the contrary, we consume less overall when the use is well suited. What is absurd is to drive, alone, in town, in a minivan or in a 4 x 4.

The problem with having two or three cars is that we had to make them ... which polluted ...
Me, I agree with Bham (and I apply it): to have a small car for the city / the races & co. And rent a car for the holidays. Example: summer vacation in 307SW (which you call kesten) for 8 full days at 250E. It's more profitable than buying a car that sleeps in the garage, and that you have to insure / maintain anyway. Do the math.

Leo Maximus wrote:For the bike, I have no luck, I used it a lot in my small hometown (5000 inhabitants), but the town hall has almost made it impossible to use it in the city center by increasing the bans on cycling (incredible but true !!!). Suddenly most people take their cars to do their shopping in the city, the return trip making less than ... 1 km!

It's a shame ! He only leaves his asylum to make bullshit your mayor ?? : Evil:
0 x
kesten

by kesten » 10/10/07, 10:27

In absolute terms, you are right, but in practice, we have already had the 307 for 4 years, and this is the one I use for trips in town. Which is good neither for the car that degrades faster, nor for pollution.
And concretely, it is not only for the holidays that the 307 would be used. For example, if we go to my sister's house which lives 40 km away, it seems difficult to me to consider 5 in a C1 ...

As for the 2cv, I think it has been amortized since all this time ...

The history of bikes is mind blowing, I didn't even know that a mayor had the right to ban traffic!

Me without my bike (and its panniers!) I would be nothing!
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 10/10/07, 10:52

kesten wrote:For example, if we go to my sister's house which lives 40 km away, it seems difficult to me to consider 5 in a C1 ...

Indeed, 5 in a C1, it must be hard ... Especially with car seats!
0 x