Bush wants to reduce 20% fuel consumption by 10ans.

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Bush wants to reduce 20% fuel consumption by 10ans.

by Targol » 24/01/07, 11:32

US President George W. Bush said Tuesday he wanted to reduce 20% gasoline consumption in the United States under 10 years, an ambitious goal that will go through the development of non-fossil fuels and stricter consumption standards.

"Let us continue to work on the foundations we have already laid and reduce gasoline consumption in the United States by 20% over the next ten years. This will reduce our imports by the equivalent of three-quarters of the oil we currently import from the United States. Middle East, "Bush said in his annual State of the Union address.

"We must accelerate research on batteries for hybrid cars and develop the use of vehicles using clean diesel and bio diesel. We must continue to invest in new methods of producing ethanol, using whatever is available. available, from wood chips to grass to agricultural waste, ”he said.

His proposal to tighten consumer standards will certainly thrill to Detroit, the capital of the US auto industry who has always opposed such a measure because of the place held in their range by vehicles 4x4 fuel hungry.

"We plan to work with the White House and Congress to ensure that the changes are technically possible and that they will not penalize manufacturers like GM," General Motors spokesman Tom Wilkinson told AFP. .

source: Daily Auto

Well, well what, a good cold wave, and we start to go in the right direction. Now, remains to see if these beautiful words will materialize ...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 24/01/07, 12:09

he has cushy foix !!!
It's a pleasure. I have the impression that the Americans have finished believing themselves invulnerable and that it will begin to move.
hopefully india and china follow the right path and do not become americans ... because at two billion and a half, it will hurt.
0 x
criticism is necessary, but the invention is vital because in any invention there is a criticism of the convention ...
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 24/01/07, 13:33

:? Their auto industry is flogging ...

20% economy when you have the most rustic vehicles on the planet, it's easy, what I say VERY EASY to reach.

it is not for nothing that their automobile industry declines, foreign competition already offers vehicles 30% less greedy. : Cheesy:

For batteries and electric vehicles; There is a flock of companies and associations in the US selling conversion kits to transform their cars into electric cars.

If individuals manage to do better in their garage than what the builders propose ... 8)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/01/07, 14:15

I'm going to be a bad language, but shouldn't we rather understand "10% less imports from the Middle East"?
0 x
bolton069
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bolton069 » 24/01/07, 14:39

Hello,

In fact according to this article, George deubeuliou he wants to reduce the use of 20% gasoline, but improve the efficiency of 10% vehicles only.

He also wants to double the strategic reserves. I have the impression that roughly for him it is rather: stop consuming oil that does not come from unstable corners of the planet from where, one pushes to the oil sands, and other oil alternatives.

But it does not question the use of oil at any time. : Evil:

As an elected American puts it: "that's fine, the president put a toe in the water, but now it's time to jump into the pool.". Splash! : Mrgreen:

http://www.physorg.com/news88794560.html
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 24/01/07, 17:02

Hello,
This has always been part of their methods first syphone ren out of contienent america then use local resources
A large iron ore mine rich in the north has been closed, it prefers under mining ore in Latin America and transported that the north has been the same for some copper mine and oil well does not profitable enough in the imediate ..
But they know that the peak serat reaches 2010 or 2012 and that all these maneuvers will only extend a few years and that they are not ready to face what comes, in other words as we say here our leaders have ( slept on the switch) many do not care about their ages they will not be there, the next generation will compose with this heritage ...
Andre

Andre
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/01/07, 17:07

bolton069 wrote:He also wants to double the strategic reserves. I have the impression that roughly for him it is rather: stop consuming oil that does not come from unstable corners of the planet from where, one pushes to the oil sands, and other oil alternatives.

But it does not question the use of oil at any time. : Evil:

That's exactly what I think too ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 24/01/07, 17:18

We agree, it would be very surprising that the ex-alcoholic evangelist of the White House suddenly discovered an ecological sensitivity: the planet, he does not care about his first thousand dead in Iraq!

What I say to myself, by cons, is that whatever his motives, if indeed the American cars lower their conso 20% (passage of 20l / 100Km 16l / 100Km) it will always be taken.

Nor should we expect miracles from an autistic like W. (I pray in advance all people with autism in their circle to forgive me this unflattering comparison).
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Other

by Other » 24/01/07, 19:55

Hello,
What I say to myself, by cons, is that whatever his motives, if indeed the American cars lower their conso 20% (passage of 20l / 100Km 16l / 100Km) it will always be taken.

It's not ready to change the reason is simply economical
Those who buy a Jetta 2007 latest model is because they have the means, not for fuel economy, some for the ecology.
But in general the (means) rolls in displacement of 3 older liters and much in America buys a bigger, more robust, safer cars, in case of collision finally a lot of reasons more or less well founded, But the main reason c is the (holy peace) on the maintenance and the reliability in all conditions then comes the consomation.
It's simple, gasoline is today at 0.85 $ the liter is 0,55 Euro then 12 liters or 15 liters at 100 km on the total cost does not change much the cost over the lifetime of the car.
If we compare the Jetta or the Japanese, it requires a regular maintenance and visits to the garage are quite expensive, the winter it demmare but not always, the mechanics is fragile ect ..
On a bigger american, the maintenance almost nil, just put gasoline, tires (the big tires do not cost much more expensive than the small 100 000km change of the front brake pads, On my chevrolet the sytéme exhaust and original catalyst, silencer and pipe be 15 years 260 000 km, I never change the oil of the transmission, nor the brake oil, nor the oil of the steering assisted,
Some never change the antifreeze or engine oil they add .. (I know it's barbaric but many do antifreeze 3 years)
When on the fiscal side, the power of the engine does not enter the calculation is the weight of the vehicle and differrence is not great between a car of 1000kg or 2000 kg. for the insurance if the vehicle and recent it costs more expensive and if it is a sport chariot if the driver is young, it rises quickly ..
So you see that it is economic reasons and robustness that guide most consumers. we can have an ecological discourse in the few big cities, but how to explain to the villager who lives in the far north of the firs surrounded by fir trees that his 4X4 will pollute, or to be careful, does not pump too much water in the lake, you will miss it! he will shrug.
On the other hand he will be sensitive not to polute his lake he likes trout ..

It's a little out of place but it puts a little bit in context so as to understand why it's differrent from one continent to another, that ultimately the entire automotive market is based on tax issues and fuel prices .. aside from the minority who think econology.

Andre
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 24/01/07, 20:11

There is a very simple recipe: I did not hire any of the officials of the Belgian Ministry of Finance: with almost 1000 euros of road tax for a 3 liters, + excise tax surcharge for diesel (we found this here). , pcq when you run on diesel, you do not pay enough taxes).

If Americans do not change cars, I can still finance the war in Iraq with the proceeds of taxes!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."