Which wood for outdoor gate?

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
logredudon
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Which wood for outdoor gate?

by logredudon » 08/12/10, 12:35

Hello,

I would like to install a small wooden gate (h 90 cm, L 130 cm) at the start of the path that leads to my house.

I asked a few quotes from carpenters who at the wood level to choose do not agree at all ...

- One advises me on larch which, according to him, is very resistant outdoors (does not deform) by advising me against oak (aging badly outdoors, according to him);

- Another sees only through the oak;

- Finally a third opts for an exotic wood (iroko or sipo).

Who to believe? Which wood is best suited?

Goods.
0 x
AXEAU
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by AXEAU » 08/12/10, 12:50

Bonjour.

I will put tree wood. : Mrgreen:

Otherwise I prefer melesis to oak and if there are exotic drills near you it is also good but if they are 15000 kms it is less good.

jlg
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/12/10, 13:53

It all depends on the treatment ...

With a class 4 treatment, fir and even pine would be suitable (if we look in the DIY is what sells I think) ...

Treatment = factory autoclave or stain by the customer, one does not prevent the other.

I don't think you should use exotic wood in this case.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 09/12/10, 13:30

For 33 years I have a soft, weather-resistant, red, almost unvarnished American wooden door, which I had assembled myself with wood sold by a wood seller as very weather-resistant, light and soft wood!
I confirm that it resists 33 years well, better than the oak posts (more solid) that I had to change !!
I think it was red cedar:
http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/fr/Thuja_plicata
(automatic translation )
uses
Soft red-brown lumber is rated for resistance to decay, extensively using for exterior construction in the form of poles, decking, shingles, siding, and so on. It is cultivated as an ornamental tree and also (to a limited extent) in forestry plantations and for screens and hedges. It has been introduced to other parts of the temperate zone, including Western Europe, Australia (at least as far north as Sydney), New Zealand, the eastern United States and more elevations Hawaii highlands. It is also used to line closets and chests, because its pungent aromatic oils are believed to deter moth and carpet beetle larvae, which can damage tissue by eating wool and similar fibers. It is naturally more effective in properly constructed redcedar trunks (sometimes made entirely of cedar), since the oils are confined by seals of shellac and leather. A well-sealed redcedar chest will maintain its pungent odor for many decades, sometimes for more than a century. Its light weight and stength make it a popular choice for guitar soundboards.

This wood seems little sold in France currently (price ?,)
Last edited by dedeleco the 09 / 12 / 10, 13: 51, 1 edited once.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 09/12/10, 13:39

0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 09/12/10, 13:49

read google red cedar
http://www.google.fr/search?num=100&hl= ... =&gs_rfai=

Soft wood, light but strong enough for the gate, but not for the posts !!
0 x
faris
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by faris » 23/01/14, 11:45

For what reason, because it leaves me perplexed, if you want you can always, by installing a chimney on the roof by a mason, then roofer, which is classic and can be done on all houses with roofing !!!
0 x
FSL: