Shower water to supply toilet

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
olivierdu33
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Shower water to supply toilet

by olivierdu33 » 17/09/23, 17:37

Hello,
my project recycle the water from the upstairs shower to supply the 2 toilets.

the drain from the upstairs shower (pvc d40), will pass through 2 filters 80 and 50 microns to remove hair....

I have a single D20 annealed copper pipe (old gas supply) which goes from inside the house to the outside (around 20m), to supply a 220L blue canister type storage tank

I have in the laundry room an 80 liter stainless steel tank with inlet and outlet on the upper part in 1/2 (buffer tank recovered from an old chilly hydro gas boiler) it is close to the copper pipe named above and the feeder toilet power supplies.

the gray water that comes out of the shower can directly fill the stainless steel tank....and also fill the blue tank (passing through the 20 m of copper pipe)

in theory my idea:

the “filtered” shower water fills the stainless steel tank

when it is full, thanks to the T on the water inlet,

gray water take the copper pipe (to go outside 20 m) on the blue container....

at this level the problem: how is the pressure/depression of the stainless steel tank ....to release the air when filling or conversely when the pump starts to create a depression because the air does not enter not inside...and the pump will force unnecessarily.

and subsequently how will the water and/or air in the single copper pipe be returned to the WC supply tank when the stainless steel tank is empty?

I am thinking of installing a pressure switch on the toilet supply inlet:

where to position the 12v electric pump, to use gray water from the stainless steel tank, then from the blue can.

I hope to clearly explain my questions and that you have ideas to help me.

please

Olivier
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: shower water to supply toilet

by sicetaitsimple » 17/09/23, 17:56

I think that a small diagram clearly showing the elevation of the different elements (shower, filters, cans, WC, pump) and the envisaged connections would help.
1 x
olivierdu33
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by olivierdu33 » 17/09/23, 18:07

thank you very much for your interest in my project.
To date, no editing has been done, so it is impossible to take photos.

as I indicated, the water arrives from the exit of the upstairs shower via PVC 40. On the ground floor I am thinking of connecting it to 2 filters to supply an 80L stainless steel tank in the laundry room (buffer tank recovered from a old cold hydro gas boiler) and also thanks to an existing copper pipe supplying a blue 220L can outside.

the project is to re-use this gray water to supply the water supply of the 2 toilets in the house.
Priority is to take the gray water from the stainless steel tank, then if it is empty that from the external container.
I already bought a 12v pump
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10050050 ... pt=glo2fra

please
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 17/09/23, 18:25

Yes, okay, we understood the objective.
But as all of this, apart from the pump which I imagine would only be used to fill the toilet tank, should only work in a desirable way in gravity, reasoning without a diagram showing the altitudes considered of the different elements is a bit vain.....I forgot, you also need the route of the existing copper pipe (at ground level, in height, a bit of both?).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/09/23, 18:27

If your shower is upstairs and the toilet is lower down...the solution is simple: you poop before the shower (it's always better : Lol: ) and you take a shower of 10L max, no need for tampons, pumps and all that mess! : Mrgreen:

If the bathtub doesn't drain enough, take another pee... : Mrgreen:
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 17/09/23, 18:38

olivierdu33 wrote:the project is to re-use this gray water to supply the water supply of the 2 toilets in the house.

First remark: to my knowledge, this is prohibited. If recovery water (rain or other) is used to supply toilets, it must be the subject of two separate supply circuits that can be isolated from each other.
0 x
olivierdu33
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by olivierdu33 » 17/09/23, 18:47

This toilet nurse is a nurse which is completely autonomous and would in no case be on the water network.
It is imperative to have a network separate from the drinking water network.
Thank you for this reminder, for those who don't know.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/09/23, 18:48

Feeding the nannies = 2nd network, right?

Still, I would like to see the state of the toilets after X years (months?) of using gray water...
Already the limescale in the network water can cause leaks when flushing toilets...

So the rainwater for the toilets ok but the water for the showers meh meh...not to mention the shitty network to put in place...

It's like thermal looping or worse recycling of shower water...some have tried but in reality it only really works in the ISS... : Mrgreen:

Photos and a diagram would help you...
0 x
olivierdu33
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by olivierdu33 » 17/09/23, 18:57

Christophe wrote:Feeding the nannies = 2nd network, right?

Still, I would like to see the state of the toilets after X years (months?) of using gray water...
Already the limescale in the network water can cause leaks when flushing toilets...

So the rainwater for the toilets ok but the water for the showers meh meh...not to mention the shitty network to put in place...

It's like thermal looping or worse recycling of shower water...some have tried but in reality it only really works in the ISS... : Mrgreen:

Photos and a diagram would help you...

Do you think my project is not viable? It's true I'm not on the iss but it seems like a good idea right?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 17/09/23, 19:30

olivierdu33 wrote: But it seems like a good idea to me, right?

Yes, in principle using drinking water to flush out shit is necessarily regrettable.
But then, it really depends on you and your motivation. Because, beyond installation work, it will inevitably generate constraints (filters) and perhaps some other maintenance or other inconveniences (odors?).
Your initial questions were rather technical, let's limit ourselves to these...For the rest it's up to you.

PS: unless of course there is feedback from an installation similar to the one you are considering, which would be welcome.
0 x