Vegetable garden shredder, 5 euros at Emmaus

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Vegetable garden shredder, 5 euros at Emmaus

by gegyx » 04/10/09, 22:37

Garden vegetable shredder

I'll tell you about my little adventure.

I do not have much land (clay, with underground water everywhere at 2m), but there is a willow, a cherry tree, a plum tree, lilacs, bay laurels, lawn, etc.
Every year, when I have the courage (or health rather), I am quite tall. With trailer transport to the recycling center.

I have a low composter, where I mainly put only leaves and lawns. Finally, there is not much after a year; let's say 2 bags of potting soil.

Passionate about your experiences, I told myself that a garden shredder would help the maneuver for more compost.
Also, the mulch to make fertile ground (Jean Pain method), which would help my clay flat well.
Also the mulch can be spread on strawberries, I think.
Also for dry toilets, but I don't practice.

Last year I looked for an electric garden shredder, as economical as possible (quality and fair price).

There are 2 kinds:
- In the first prizes, with knives. In fact it's like a carrot grater in a robot.
A disc provided with 2 knives turning quickly and cutting the branches introduced, in strips, at least in small pieces. It should turn quickly, often noisy, and often get stuck, because there is always a tendency to put more and bigger.

- More expensive, there are roller crushers, like 2 long gears, which shred the branches. In principle, it can rotate slower, therefore less noisy, and more effective to really support the branches of 40mm.

Having read and reread the interesting cases, finally I planned myself to a roller model, quite exceptional according to the comments of the Internet users.
Not very noisy, capable of easily grinding 40mm, and when it gets stuck, a reverse gear is automatically made to unlock.
The shreds are a little larger than with the knives, which is good for a mulch, but limit for a composter it seems.
For those who have a large lot, it was advised to use this shredder with rollers to cut down the work, then pass the ground material in another shredder with knives, in order to have an extra grind (without blocking), and remove the disadvantages of the 2 machines.

This roller model is the Florabest FLH 2500 sold at Lidl only in September-October,
for 139 € this year, with 3 years warranty, and German manufacturing, please…

http://forum.mongazon.fr/viewsujet.php?id=393

Last year, I missed the promotional garden week, where the machines only stay for a week until some copies are sold off.
If you don't receive the flyers, you have to watch the Internet every weekly ad on the chain of stores.
Determined to buy it this year, I missed it again, around September 3 because I was busy with my cut and my change of Internet operator. Still missed :x

Disappointed, I went to Emmaüs to buy bidet taps (for an elderly person), which cannot be found in supermarkets now.
I got a bidet for 5 €, and ... What do I see? A sort of yellow, vegetable crusher that was bored in the pile of objects.
At first glance, not famous, the rotating disc seems more than rusty, the bizarre switch, no basket, and the broken pusher.
By any chance, I raise it to see if there was still the 2400 W electric motor.
I ask the price, asking if it works? Mystery.
I point out the rust on the knives, and the uncertain functioning.
After thirty seconds of thinking, the good man announces me € 5 ... He must have had this price in mind. I take.
I then hear the comments of the companions who said that he stayed several months in the rain to wait for a buyer ...
We'll see !

I dismantled it all this weekend. Cleaned, blown, motor in good condition, oiled, checking connections. A good blow of frameto on the beginnings of rust, and painting.
The 2 knives are reversible, and they had a new side. I pushed the vice to leave the worn knives chipped, after a good grindstone and a sharpening, the blades are still a little wavy but we will see.
Reassembly, like new. Finally the problem had to be the safety which prevented the engine from running, when the top cover was not in its place. I lengthened the nipple which pressed on the contact and it's all good, waiting for the size branches to come.

Tonight, I am doing an Internet search to see the source, the technical sheet and the price of this Italian-made device (from 2005) 2,4kw, 2850 rpm.
And bang! It was on sale at Au.hn, my neighboring store (a little too bulky by the way ...)
At the price of 149 €, and which seems not to be of too poor quality.

www.auchan.fr/vad/article/ficheArticle. ... yonBout = 17

So for once, I was strong, and very happy I came to tell you about my adventure.
: Lol:

Edit / I corrected the title. Then the name of the store. :D
Last edited by gegyx the 06 / 10 / 09, 00: 24, 2 edited once.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 05/10/09, 13:55

Well done Gegyx for this find, I have the same concern at the moment, finding a shredder, used if possible. In Germany near my home, there are quite a few to sell secondhand, at -30% -50%.
Well yes the Teutons, they are still one step ahead of us. : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/10/09, 15:46

Well done you have made a good one, what do I say an excellent one, a business (often the case with Emaüss) in addition it is economical and social! I practice as soon as I can !!

You just have to arrive at the right time to find what you need at that moment! In short, it is very lucky to get a good deal!

Personally we bought a new model at Leclerc, sold 99 € -50% with 2200W reversible knives of the same kind as yours.

Be careful, it’s gossip when it works, don’t worry! (It is especially the engine / blade cooling fan it seems to me).

I just have a doubt about finding knives when they are completely dull ...

ps: I still have a big big doubt that Florabest is "made in germany" and I would even say a doubt about the "designed in Germany" because there is some very shitty stuff in their range !! Even Bosch does things made in China now ... made in china it can be very good ... it's 100% china products (designed and made in China) that you have to ... still be wary of .... but for how long? They have just released their "airbus" !!
0 x
sam17
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sam17 » 05/10/09, 15:53

I also ask myself this kind of question since I discovered the joys of hedge trimming (not far from 100 M at home !!)

On leboncoin, there are some things but it's true that it's the kind of thing that does not run in flea markets or dumps: /

Anyone have an idea for an artisanal DIY with scrap? To grind branches I do not see how we could do it.
0 x
--
Patience is a tree whose root is bitter, and whose fruits are very sweet.
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Garden vegetable shredder 5 euros at Emaüss !!

by Woodcutter » 05/10/09, 15:57

gegyx wrote:[...]
The shreds are a little larger than with the knives, which is good for a mulch, but limit for a composter it seems.
Please note: Contrary to popular belief (and sometimes reads), the best ground material for compost must include pieces of branches of qq cm (max. 5 to 10), split lengthwise.
Unfortunately, most "financially accessible" shredders manufacture branch rings who are not very interested in composting ...
I would be curious to see the "product" of this roller mill? Maybe a photo?

In any case, bravo for your initiative and know that normally, with a crusher (I hope you will make your neighborhood profit ...), you have no more reasons to take organic waste to a recycling center!

This is the meaning of the message that I am trying to get across during the Composting Workshops that we organize for local communities ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 05/10/09, 22:10

Thanks for your comments.
:D
I did come to point out that if you do not have the opportunity to recover a treasure on a sidewalk or in a recycling center, it is interesting to visit Emmaüs on occasion.

Also I also came to plead for the Florabest from Liddl, which after research seemed very interesting to me, and comes back on sale every year, with comments from satisfied people.

It's a roller crusher, the result is a shredder, so it's not the washers that I would probably have with the knife one.

Florabest FLH 2500 technical manual
For the 3 year warranty for example. If the engine is burnt out, we send the cut end plug with the engine label and the invoice, and we receive a brand new engine at home (hello abuse) ...

Part of a satisfied comment from an experienced person:

And then I bought, thanks to the information given by a contributor
from frj (thanks to him), the cheap roller mill at Lidl. The
wonder: he accepts everything, grinds root and branch, chops them
leaves, stops alone in case of overload, stands alone, its
rigid bin is very practical, it is very compact, noise is
so weak that it can be used on Sundays without alerting
neighbors (almost no increase in noise between operation
unladen and loaded). I even sometimes take it out to grind two or more
three dead branches fallen in the garden
Its only flaw: the grinding is very coarse. Can only be used
for mulching, not for composting; or the composting goes
take a long time.

http://groups.google.com/group/fr.rec.j ... 6caa6fdc7b

here again :

http://forum.mongazon.fr/viewsujet.php?id=393

http://forum.mongazon.fr/viewsujet.php?id=2140
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/10/09, 22:52

Gegyx, admit it, did you take action at Florabest or at Lidl? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Hey i found a dream grinder! Respect! Christine Zen wants one for Christmas !!

Note the slogan on the first page to cry ... to laugh !! All in finesse!
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 06/10/09, 20:07

gegyx wrote:[...]

It's a roller crusher, the result is a shredder, so it's not the washers that I would probably have with the knife one.
[...]

Part of a satisfied comment from an experienced person:

[...]
Its only flaw: the grinding is very coarse. Can only be used
for mulching, not for composting; or the composting goes
take a long time.
[...]
I can only repeat what I said before!
It is the opposite which occurs: the shredded type "forest shredding" (roughly what the DDE leaves in the embankments) is very suitable for the mulching, it is very tight, dense and does not let or little pass the air, very good for making aisles too ...
The grinding for the compost must be coarser, the fibers broken up. Normally we do it with hammer mills ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 28/08/10, 09:51

The cylinder mill was sold today.
This time (the third year), I got it. :D

Vouf! After the first half hour of opening, the 4 disposers were gone…
Then you have to run to the different agglo stores, in case, if not wait until next year.

https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... LcBmvX.pdf

To be continued, for testing
Because the shredder at 5 €, did not really want to cut, a somewhat hard branch.
I pressed with my hand, but apart from the minimal knocking out and a violent shaking of the hand and arm… : Cry:
By passing it on an electric planer, it was more efficient…
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 28/08/10, 10:25

Hello,
I had a knife grinder first,
The advantage is provided for cutting green wood and making small chips,
noisy drawback, blade has to be sharpened regularly otherwise you have to push for the descent, there is also that the shocks due to the impact means that in my case the casing did not last long.
This is also wary of suction, because although being low is even with the bag, the engine was filled with dust.

that with rollers is much quieter no maintenance, on the other hand it is necessary that the wood is dry to be burst, otherwise it forms a garland.
a + claude
0 x