Solar car battery maintenance charger

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
tibofo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Solar car battery maintenance charger

by tibofo » 12/08/08, 12:59

Hello,
I am new to this forum and I ask for an explanation.
First my name is Thibault de Rouen. Solar, thermal and wind attract me personally.

I'm in the process of making myself a solar air heating panel. I need to put a fan to eject the hot air in my house.

Next to my house, I found a small solar panel used to maintain the car battery charge. Seen on the internet, its power would be 1,5W. When it picks up the light, a small led starts flashing -> so it works. Out of curiosity, I put the end of the crocodile tongs on my tongue to check that the juice is coming out -> YES

On the other hand, if I connect the crocodile clips on motors with magnets, nothing turns and the small led goes out as if it did not catch anything any more (I tried 5 different = a large, a medium and 3 small (the last 4 turn on a 9V battery))

I continued my test and I connected a solar panel to a rechargeable 12V battery -> it seems to be charging: the led continues to flash.

Do I have to go through a battery or do I have a way to directly run a small motor, consumption with this panel?

Thank you for your insights.
Thibault

I just found a similar photo of the charger:
https://www.econologie.com/shop/panneau- ... p-108.html
0 x
Curious about renewable energies
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 12/08/08, 13:43

hi, to work with a 12V 1.5W solar panel you need a 12V 1.5W fan ;-)
which is really not much and easy to find!
but on the internet you should find that ...
advantage: works when there is sun so when it is hot (useless at night).

finally, for the calories brought by bringing closer to the savings that this brings you, you can also use a transformer 220> 12 and connect a small fan type of pc (recuperation), to be connected on thermostat probe (assembly at 15 € in kit) on conrad.fr for example): cheaper than the panel?
0 x
tibofo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by tibofo » 12/08/08, 22:07

Thanks for the reply ... I'll get a 12V fan

But I still don't understand: current is coming out of the solar panel ... So why are none of my motors running?

electricity is electricity? no ?

and then there are PC fans that have 2 wires (simple) but there are some that have 3 wires: how do you connect them?

Thank you
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 12/08/08, 23:08

Hi Tibofo

The problem is that the solar panel is a generator of insufficient power to run an electric motor, even a small one.
When you plug it into the terminals of a motor, you almost put it in short circuit whereas on a battery, its internal resistance is sufficient to absorb a low voltage.
Personally, I managed to run a small 12V pump with a 10W photovoltaic panel
But a fan is much bigger and more demanding
Why not move towards natural ventilation, using the wind or on the basis of convection?

A+
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 13/08/08, 09:46

A PC fan should run smoothly, right? It consumes very little. Now you have to see the air flow you need.
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 13/08/08, 10:27

pc fan ... 3W of consumption:> to 1.5W: therefore does not turn. you have to plug it in the right way too ;-)
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 13/08/08, 10:39

Well, I didn't think it would consume 3W.
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 13/08/08, 11:17

It's an example ;-)
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 13/08/08, 11:25

yes of course it must depend on the fans.

the solution for him is a battery, the fan will not run continuously so the battery will have time to recharge.
0 x
tibofo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by tibofo » 14/08/08, 10:51

first of all thank you all for your participation ... it's nice!

I tried 3 PC fans of 3 different sizes: a small, a medium and a large (fan of a large server - which would be ideal): none are running.

Considering the post above, I see that it would be normal.
I tried something else again, I plugged in a small bulb found in our old flashlights: it doesn't even blush with a yota!

I will try to dismantle my panel to see if there is not any electronic component and remove it to leave only the wires + and - ???

The battery does not seem suitable to me because the thermal sensor (homemade) will heat the air only in broad daylight, so it is the day that I need it to turn my fan.

I did not understand if econologie.com is a commercial site or not so I dare ask this question: do you have addresses for the cheapest 10W panels?
PS: for the moderator, if this question is to be thrown away: no problem, I would understand.

Thanks for your precious advice.
Thibault
0 x