Project coupling solar water heater and wood stove

Present your DIY projects, your new technical ideas, your innovations to test or your self-construction work. Because doing it yourself is often more economical and can be more efficient.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Project coupling solar water heater and wood stove

by sicetaitsimple » 06/01/20, 22:35

GuyGadebois wrote:Does he want to "extend" the glycol circuit?

Yes, if I understood correctly, put in parallel "the solar collectors" and "the coil around the duct" and alternatively use one or the other depending on the season, the sunshine, the operation or not of the stove, .... to supply the same coil existing in the existing water heater.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 06/01/20, 22:57

sicetaitsimple wrote:
GuyGadebois wrote:Does he want to "extend" the glycol circuit?

Yes, if I understood correctly, put in parallel "the solar collectors" and "the coil around the duct" and alternatively use one or the other depending on the season, the sunshine, the operation or not of the stove, .... to supply the same coil existing in the existing water heater.

If the stove is not very far from the solar water heater, this may be valid. After, if you have to pull 20m of pipes (the more insulation if necessary, the more glycol to fill all the bouzin), blah.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 06/01/20, 23:06

GuyGadebois wrote:[If the stove is not very far from the solar water heater, this may be valid. After, if you have to pull 20m of pipes (the more insulation if necessary, the more glycol to fill all the bouzin), blah.

He wrote 6m.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 06/01/20, 23:08

sicetaitsimple wrote:
GuyGadebois wrote:[If the stove is not very far from the solar water heater, this may be valid. After, if you have to pull 20m of pipes (the more insulation if necessary, the more glycol to fill all the bouzin), blah.

He wrote 6m.

Goods.
Uh ... the guy makes a glycol system adaptable to his heat source, okay. How does it relate? If it uses a "classic" bypass, the glycol heated by the stove will diffuse from the stove to the solar collector, then to the balloon? No? It would be necessary to put a multi-way valve (with / without stove, with stove / without sensor, with sensor / without stove) to avoid heat losses, right? So, unless you put a programmable electric one, you would have to move to redirect the flow. In order to make the trick work, the (electric) circulator has to be running constantly, right?
Basically, I wonder if it's worth it.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 07/01/20, 09:35

You should not use your cold water network to take the calories from the smoke exhaust pipe.
You must use a 3-way bypass valve on your solar exchanger (your source is either solar or wood, see both at the same time if you have a mixing valve).
There are stove pipe heat exchangers:
https://www.ebay.fr/i/112934099177?chn= ... 2VEALw_wcB

Finally you will have barely 10% of potential energy recovered from what you burn in wood with an impact on the draft and on the combustion efficiency if it is not forced.
0 x
jeanluc1102
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jeanluc1102 » 07/01/20, 13:35

Hello
I admit having neglected the problem of scaling, after reflection I think that the idea is still viable even if there is scaling; indeed I do not think that a 15 m linear circuit builds up overnight and if it happens after a year, the assembly is relatively simple and the dismantling would allow me a "good" cleaning with white vinegar or some acid .... obviously followed by rinsing with clear water. (I even saw on a rental site that he was renting a scaler !!!) no there or j 'I have some shortcomings would be the safety aspect, I suspect that I will create a pressure in the circuit hence the need to incorporate a safety valve, temperature probe, pressure gauge .....
my chimney tube making 155 mm in diameter, a circumference of 480 mm so 10 meters of pipe, I share on a twenty copper tower in diameter 14/16 annealed, at the entry as at exit will braze a nut 20 / 27.
jluc
0 x
jeanluc1102
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jeanluc1102 » 07/01/20, 13:48

lilian07 wrote:You should not use your cold water network to take the calories from the smoke exhaust pipe.
You must use a 3-way bypass valve on your solar exchanger (your source is either solar or wood, see both at the same time if you have a mixing valve).
There are stove pipe heat exchangers:
https://www.ebay.fr/i/112934099177?chn= ... 2VEALw_wcB

Finally you will have barely 10% of potential energy recovered from what you burn in wood with an impact on the draft and on the combustion efficiency if it is not forced.

It is in this spirit that I intend to make the interchange.
I pass you a link which push me to do this type of exchanger, the base is a rocket stove

jluc
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 07/01/20, 15:10

jeanluc1102 wrote: not there or I have some gaps would be rather the safety aspect, I suspect that I will create a pressure in the circuit from where the need to incorporate a safety valve, temperature probe, pressure gauge .. ...

Without wanting to interfere with your design, I don't understand .... If you make a direct circuit with the DHW, you are protected against overpressure by the existing safety group of the water heater, right? Except to put manual valves at the entry and the exit of the circuit, to close them and to start the stove!

That said, without wanting to interfere, you should still look at the brine circuit solution in parallel with the solar.
0 x
jeanluc1102
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jeanluc1102 » 07/01/20, 19:39

Good evening
put the glycol circuit in parallel, I would admit that I am afraid of doing some nonsense ... last year I changed the coolant well is what I can make the connection via the input and output; but I think it can not be in parallel but rather in series which implies that the circuit is done by the solar exchanger and will necessarily pass through the solar panels, is there no risk ??? as much the copper coil type fitting and DHW looping does not ask me a state of mind that affected the solar circuit : Oops: do you have assembly diagrams that I can study the thing.
jluc
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 07/01/20, 20:38

jeanluc1102 wrote: do you have assembly diagrams that I can study the thing.

No, I don't have one, but there must be a lot of it on the Net.

To be honest, I studied this solution a bit, not to heat DHW, but to transfer heat from the main room where the stove was located, with about 1,5m of vertical duct where it would have been possible to install a coil, to an adjacent room heated by electricity. I gave up, the practical constraints (sweeping, ....) and the risks (tarring in particular) appearing to me high compared to the potential gain, because one should not dream either. It is not 10m of copper pipe in 14/16 wrapped around a 180mm evacuation pipe that will recover 1 or 2 kW.
0 x