Restoration of a river stone wall

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
seb1000
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by seb1000 » 20/05/13, 22:16

I am not trying to be aggressive, I just press a little harder on the fact that it is useless to propose solutions which cost the eyes of the head since there I am at the "foot of the wall": I two do something with what i have.

well seen the blow of the foam to remove in any case! 8)

the works it's been a long time since I have to start them, it's true, but it's been a long time since there has not been a day without rain or without temperature below 5 ° C ... so I take my pain be patient and watch my wall closely while waiting for the sunny days (or a favorable opinion from the expert).
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 20/05/13, 22:21

No 1 : Arrowd: : Arrowd: : Arrowd:

Do not forget the damn damn ... The roots can make sacred shoots! Just look at the grass that breaks the tar of a road : Shock:

Without being offended, you seem to have little problems with priorities, no? : Lol:

For exemple:
Make a plan of attack 1 ... 2 ... 3 ...
See someone in the business and submit your process ...
Present it here if you care, then correct it ...
And then you stick to it.
0 x
seb1000
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by seb1000 » 20/05/13, 22:37

the shrub from the last photo?
(it's a rosebush but you couldn't see given the size of the photo)

it was removed at least 2 weeks ago, as were all the large rooted shrubs along the wall.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 20/05/13, 23:08

Phew!

In my corner, there is the same case with pipes at the top of the wall which makes a drop of almost two meters, but this one is in reinforced concrete of 30cm and well shod, it has never moved. The neighbors were less fortunate though, so I was talking from experience.

8)
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 21/05/13, 21:50

Hi since time :) ...

I just read your obamot messages, well I'm not at all of your personal opinion,

firstly: I think that doing the job yourself is quite achievable (a lot of sweat in view this said;)),

second: the surge comes suddenly on the lack of drainage and the absence of barbican (pipe which allows the water which is stocked on the earth side to come out, due to the large quantity of water which fell this year the hydraulic surge was exceptional and therefore strong enough to push the wall ...

The solution therefore already explain and explained also in the links it is excavated, for drained and especially paused one or barbican, look at the end of the wall which did not move on the photos have there see a pipe coming out of the wall c 'is a barbican;) ... cqfd

Otherwise in civil engineering have also applied this solution;), with when it is a concrete wall a foot of wall with a thickness calculated to take up the horizontal thrust of the water ...

Everything is in the links provided, don't bother looking for noon at 14 p.m.

otherwise nothing to complain about in terms of insurance and experts, it is indeed a double-edged sword, there is a solution in terms of proving that we have well implemented all the means necessary within our reach, it's called photos :) , photos throughout the construction site, in addition to making good memories of that proves .... to date the photos a simple newspaper of the day or we can read the date clearly, at the start of work for example ...

personally I would do everything with lime NHL 5 Z, put for the sake of budget, actually the cement is cheaper ....

still a liver for the sake of sustainability, I would put a cross crossing the wall with an inking in the ground it can be done simply, a cross on the river side which retains the wall, a circle of scrap metal which crosses the wall, a scrap plate which does the inking in the ground on the other side and barbican drainage and presto, you're done (in scrap you will not get expensive for the full round bar of 12 or 14 mmm of 6 ml must around 30 to 40 euros, in flat for the cross a vigtaine of euros, and the big second-hand second-hand at the scrap yard, or even new, go 30 euros, the most expensive will be the painting and treatment of the scrap before put it underground .... at worst you sink the rod coated with concrete, not expensive either, in short for a hundred euros you will have a giant lag screw;)) ...

400 eruos left for cement and sand, the rest being mostly sweat, see a mini excavator rental ...

do a little quantitative calculation for mortar and scrap like that you will have an idea of ​​what you can possibly rent or not ....

I invite you to reread the link provided with the pretty drawing of a wall section with drainage and barbican;) ...

good picking and that the motivation is with you Seb, a valiant heart nothing is impossible;) ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 22/05/13, 01:00

Well, we don't both need to agree : Cheesy: : Mrgreen:

Note that if that's only what you blame for all my comments, it's surgical and I already explained it. Honestly, Seb made us understand that he had two left arms (somewhere), otherwise without any offense (everyone knows the situation where we sin for lack of concentration, it is something that is common and is work) we understand that the coordination of the tasks of a site is not necessarily the strong point of everyone. So my point of view also started from there ...

Consequently, whether the insurance works or not, I would not hesitate to do exactly what the expert will require (as soon as he goes through him), so that in the event of a claim he cannot be blamed for anything then. And I would even force her hand by making her understand subtly that "if the insurance did not intervene now ", the event that could eventually follow could cost the company much more! (Cleverly perhaps formulate it in the form of a question to the expert:
if we do (or don't do this), what would happen next for the company? In the end, would it not cost more than intervening now? Because the rain does not stop continuing and I fear a major disaster ... etc ...)

In short, these experts, so sure of themselves, you have to destabilize them a little ... : Mrgreen:

Obviously Seb must take the basic precaution of doing everything by handwritten mail sent by post (and not e-mail that it is better that he does not give ...)
0 x
seb1000
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by seb1000 » 22/05/13, 14:52

indeed, if everyone agreed the world would be sad.

the difference of opinion is a good thing when everyone is able to accept that one does not agree with him, and therefore to exchange with respect for the divergent opinion, and listen.
which is the case here in general.

to return to my expert:
for the expert it is linked to the exceptional bad weather: yesss!
remains to bring a mason for the quote, have everything validated by insurance, and it should be good.

I will keep you informed of progress.

in any case the discussion was enriching, and it can also continue ... : Lol:
0 x
loopyng84
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by loopyng84 » 22/05/13, 15:09

if it is covered by the insurance it is a good thing because it is still a sacred site and the responsibilities that go with it
0 x
"we do not inherit the land from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children" St Exupéry
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 22/05/13, 17:11

This is good news.
You will still have the franchise fees, and less back pain.

Yes, now you can talk hard (like a pro) with the mason, so that it is not done in a hurry. :D

You will tell us to absorb the water, if it recommends drainage and barbican,
or plant a weeping willow ... : Cheesy:
0 x