The restoration of a house 1955

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
benoitt76
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

The restoration of a house 1955

by benoitt76 » 08/06/10, 11:00

Hello all,

I have just acquired a house dating from 1955, with very little information on it. I want to completely restore this house while using the right technology to take advantage of the eco PTZ and tax deduction.

existing:
- House on a full semi-buried basement.
- 65 square meter cabin in the DRC
- 20 m² of insulated roof space but not habitable for the moment.
- Parpain wall without INSULATION
- Concrete floor between basement and ground floor
- Wood floor between ground floor and attic
- Single glazing everywhere
- Oil boiler
- Oil water heater

What I want to do:
- Insulation of the walls from the outside in wood fiber 20cm
- Full double glazing with integrated roller shutter in PVC
- Installation of thermal panel connected to CESI
- Installation of a pellet boiler coupled to CESI
- Installation if possible of a Double Flux ventilation
- Repair of all electricity.

I wanted to know what you thought of the technological choices I made, your feedback on each of these choices.

Thank you all;)
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/06/10, 15:26

A priori good, but check carefully beforehand, the insulation of the attic and the roof and its tightness (at least 20cm in good dry condition) and correct it before any other more expensive improvement.
Given the price of pellets, I will tend to take a boiler burning everything, wood, chips, shredded, crushed plants, and not as pellets almost as expensive as electricity or gas.
Indeed, given the quantity of wood and waste that is thrown away or abandoned (forests of the moors and elsewhere after the storm, both in 91 and 83 in my case), it seems crucial to me to take advantage of it, free of charge.
Personally, I enraged the dictatorship of granules in automatic stoves, instead of burning its own vegetable waste, hedges, logs, dried grass, and those thrown or burnt wet by the neighbors by polluting the air !!

Finally, solar panels are not limited to hot water, but can heat the house, and make electricity by cogeneration, if you really want to invest for the long term (justified on a house under renovation).
We can even heat a Canadian well in summer to recover heat in winter !! (not obvious, but possible, and the summary).
See on econology the many forums.

Finally, after insulation of the exterior walls, it is necessary to lay and move the new windows to the exterior of the old walls, to remove the thermal bridge of the breeze blocks at the edge of the windows.
List the mistakes to avoid, because companies are not always well trained in these new methods, nor very motivated
0 x
benoitt76
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by benoitt76 » 08/06/10, 16:29

Thank you for your quick dedeleco response.

- Insulation of the attic, in fact we are going to check the type of insulation and the thickness of it.

- Heating I am very interested in an Okofen boiler, I hadn't thought about the possibility of everything being burned. Can we do this with this boiler?

- The solar panel indeed I wish coupled the thermal panel with my heating system, apparently this is possible with the Okofen pack.

- A Canadian well is impossible in my land, or very difficult to set up.

- The external insulation must be carried out at the same time as the modification of the windows because I wish to modify all my window frames which are HS (rusty).

Tomorrow morning I see an Okofen installer and a craftsman for the exterior insulation.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/06/10, 17:53

dual 33cm wood and pellet boiler at SHT in Germany and Rika
http://www.sht.at/fileadmin/user_upload ... al-Web.pdf
http://www.sht.at/index.php?id=175#c196
Information in French difficult.
Other automatic boilers exist in Germany and Austria especially. It is better to read German.
French nuclear power has smothered wood, until the day when we will have a Chernobyl in France, sooner or later, because man cannot be infallible in perpetuity !!! !!!!
The pellet is almost as expensive as city gas or electric and more expensive than the heat pump, and will remain at a high price, the buyer is captive !!
The only interest of the granule is the automation, otherwise very expensive !!
Try to avoid the dictatorship of pellets !!
Look on econology for forums on Okofen and the problems of some !!!
0 x
benoitt76
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by benoitt76 » 08/06/10, 18:13

Okofen and some people's problems !!!

what do you mean ?

And what are the annual fees on this type of boiler?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/06/10, 19:48

On econology in research type okofen and read all forums, some with 102 pages !!!!
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post167571.html#167571

https://www.econologie.com/forums/okofen-pel ... t6540.html
https://www.econologie.com/forums/suivi-du-t ... t6424.html
Time tracking operation on boiler OKOFEN
https://www.econologie.com/forums/suivi-du-t ... -1000.html

https://www.econologie.com/forums/suivi-du-t ... -1010.html
Xian writes on May 9, 2010:
The calculation would have to be done ... the price of the KW of pellets is roughly equivalent to that of the Kw electric in HC, but, as Did pointed out, the losses are higher for the pellets due to the inertia of the boiler.

But it would be necessary to drain the installation, put a probe at the bottom of the tank etc. The price of electricity will necessarily increase in the coming years. Not sure it was worth the cost of the work.

Did you also request a quote for solar collectors? With the same amortization period of more than 60 years?
In Lorraine you must have about as much sun as I do in the Marne ... but lots of Germans have it.

I remain perplexed on the subject. Even the Consolar dealership said it was better, in my case, to invest in insulation given the yield projections.

Some have watched their boiler with fatigue !!
0 x
benoitt76
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by benoitt76 » 10/06/10, 13:31

Well, after passing craftsmen my priorities change ...

the insulation in the attic is to be redone ... there is no ventilation in the roof, so the glass wool has turned green and the frame takes moisture!

so my work is now focused on:

- Exterior insulation Wood fiber 12 cm thick and plaster coating.

- Re-insulation of the attic 20 cm of insulation not yet defined.

- complete removal of windows and replacement of frame + PVC window 4.16.4 + integrated shutter inside.

The heating I would see how to do next.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 10/06/10, 13:46

1955..You have a big oil or coal boiler ... and huge cast iron radiators ...

Insulate your hut and your boiler you can burn almost anything ...

Waste wood, gleaned charcoal, see if sufficient archaic burner fuel mixture frying fat oil from pigs sawdust fat from duck .... This is the ecological side ..

After if the wind blows strongly to send the fumes away ... hydraulic piralene drain oil ...... : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
benoitt76
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by benoitt76 » 10/06/10, 14:13

Indeed Macro the house is equipped with an oil boiler and oil water heater! as well as huge radiators.

concerning the boiler I will see once this work costed!
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 10/06/10, 14:54

the glass wool has turned green and the frame takes on moisture

Disaster !!
Green everywhere or in certain specific places ??
Poor ventilation is not the sufficient explanation, but vicious leaks !!
Crucial, to do before any other action, look for the causes with care and relentlessness on the whole roof and leaks from the roof, broken tiles, flow defects, damaged zinc, dead gutter, etc., often hardly visible in corners inaccessible !!
Search if the lumber has been treated (pretty rare 50s) or well after?
Then seek carefully the deterioration of the frame due to decades of humidity, worm-eaten, merule, fungi, various insects, termites, and others which weaken the frame seriously and often almost invisible!
Renovate these faults and treat the frame if necessary !!
Be wary of scams also by controlling everything yourself !!

The rest comes only after a tight and solid roof !!

I hope this house was not too expensive !!!
0 x