Science and Life Special Issue: Building a Sustainable World

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Science and Life Special Issue: Building a Sustainable World

by Matt113 » 12/06/08, 12:19

here is a little summary

Finished Planet

The times are changing. They have already changed. Because today, who can still ignore this long-hidden reality: the planet, with what it contains wonderful resources, is not extensible. What is consumed by some can no longer, by definition, be used by others. The "Far West" spirit that has prevailed so far, supported by the idea that one will always find new virgin spaces, new deposits to exploit, is smashed on more stubborn facts: the oil s' depleted, the oceans are empty of their fish, soils become impoverished, while air and water are enriched, if we dare say, pollutants that we accumulate there. Not to mention that in their legitimate desire to industrialize, nations such as China or India are now as well as the economically more developed countries in the wealth of our "little" planet. As a result, anxiety dominates at the beginning of the third millennium. Should we be prepared to miss everything in a world that has become too limited? Leaving the Earth to colonize Mars or other extrasolar worlds not being for now, humanity has no choice but to deal with a finite world. This means taking stock of what we actually have and meeting all the challenges that come with it. Science and new technologies can help us. They will not be too much to "manage" our resources sustainably.

S & V-HS

Galloping demography, altered ecosystems, cities stretching to infinity, resources that are running out, garbage piling up and a nature that, by violent upheavals, reminds us that it always has the ascending on the man. On all sides, the red lights come on.

* Our needs are exhausting the planet too quickly

Man lives on credit: he consumes more than nature produces.
* A Land yet full of resources

Water, air, energies, ores. Atlas of all the riches that the Earth offers.
* Civilizations with the test of sustainability

In the past, companies have disappeared because they have not managed their resources. Examples.

* Feed 9 billions of individuals

A complex equation to solve by 2050.
* Produce with less

The business challenge: to be economical to stay profitable.
* Value

rather than throw away How to make our trash cans an exploitable resource.
* Stop pollution

Action is needed to clean up the air and water.
* Preserve biodiversity

Can man continue to draw without counting in nature? Nothing is less sure.
* Rethinking the city

Urbanization weighs on the environment. It's time to act.

* A slow awareness

Twenty years after the Brundtland report, back on the history of sustainable development.
* The polluter pays strategy

The idea? Evaluate the cost of pollution and make it pay to those who cause it.
* Interview with Alain Gras

For the socio-anthropologist, "technical evolution is not the result of determinism."
* From words to action

Despite their words, the French do little for the environment. Yet they would have everything to gain.
* Learn more

Works and websites.

I have not seen any subject on this magazine, I think it could interest the world, are there people who have already read it? it was released June 6 I think and a site was made to extend this special issue.

http://mondedurable.science-et-vie.com/

I just bought it I started to leaf through I'll tell you what when I have already read some articles.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/06/08, 12:21

I did not know. This HS is really amazing after the dish they dared to lay on the EnR ...

See: https://www.econologie.com/forums/le-dossier ... t4996.html

I believe that S&V boufe at all the racks ...
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 12/06/08, 12:28

well it's a subject that sells so it's clear that they take advantage, there is surely good and bad in this special issue but there must be a lot of information to take anyway.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/06/08, 12:30

I did not say that this HS was bad it is probably full of good info (probably some recovered on this site) I said that it was against the conclusions of their previous file.

But as it sells to everyone ... not con the strategy :D
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 18/06/08, 11:58

I have read everything and I find globally that it is of good quality.

Complete, quite accurate, not telling salads.

The "most interesting" part is the one where they estimate the reserves in years at the rate of current consumption. Uplifting.

@+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/06/08, 18:02

I confirm: it is good, I particularly like the article on the comparative "global" ecobalance of certain everyday consumer objects and the article on cities.

Nevertheless there are errors in it, I have spotted (I have only fly over) at least 2:

a) the energy density of the batteries given in Wh / km ??? (instead of Wh / kG)

b) a pc that would require 2800 kg of raw material for its design : Shock: The if it is not a mistake must explain to me ... :?:
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 27/06/08, 23:05

There is a mistake, but when we count everything ... ore for metals, liters of oil for plastic + liters to run the plant and transport the zinzin ...
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/06/08, 23:50

It's not maybe it's surely ...

Reread the file, the page after there is a fridge where he talks about 140 kg of materials ... which is highly plausible but 2800 kg for the PC frankly when we see the price of pc currently ca would surprise me strongly. See the gray energy method of looping.
0 x
Christophe

Re: Science et vie Special Edition: Building a sustainable world

by Christophe » 11/05/21, 10:36

Stumbled upon it by chance: the historical journal Science et Vie is bankrupt!

"Sciences et Vie" journalists resign after "disagreement" with magazine owner

Nine journalists have decided to leave the century-old magazine. The magazine's Society of Journalists deplores "the total lack of scientific expertise" within the surviving editorial staff.

Its editorial and scientific quality will be completely revised downwards (it had already fallen low before ... at times ...)

The haemorrhage of journalists continues at "Science & Vie"

The crisis that has shaken the scientific monthly since the end of summer 2020 has resulted in the simultaneous departure of nine journalists.

https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article ... _3234.html

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sciences/es ... 52921.html

Guess why?
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Science et vie Special Edition: Building a sustainable world

by Exnihiloest » 11/05/21, 19:55

The world was built on its own for 4 billion years, and that of men, for 2 to 3 million years.
Fortunately, he did not wait for today's unnecessary to know how to do it and last.
0 x